Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-01-2014, 13:02   #46

Re: Good Production Models for Cruising?

Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Horse puckie! First...not all production boats have fin keels and spade rudders. Second..."People shouldn't cruise in white plastic boats, period"? There is a glut of "plastic boats that would take anyone cruising. Here in La Paz I see plastic boats from 25ft. to 36 ft. that probably cost less than $20K. Not my cup of tea but it can still be done. Seeing these boats down here demonstrates to me that you could probably build a raft out of shipping crates, throw it in the water and eventual end up in Mexico. All this "Victory at sea" attitude is over the top. Careful planning and a little knowledge and elbow grease can put most people on the water cruising.
+++1 totally .

milgravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 13:49   #47

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
When it comes to buying an older boat I think it is wise to pay more attention to the individual boat than the manufacturer. Just as an example, my 1973 Morgan has been mine since 1985 and I've put much care and maintenance into it, replacing and refitting things numerous times over the years. It's given us about 75K easy miles and I expect many more; however, many far newer Morgan OI 41's that I've seen are suffering from neglect and near worthless. Each older boat has a history that can be far more important than the original production.
I agree totally.
The boats I've owned have been constantly upgraded and maintained, with all the deck hardware being rebedded at reasonable intervals to prevent leakage, wiring, plumbing, rigging, mechanicals and systems inspected and serviced annualy and replaced when needed, before it fails. OK, before it fails most of the time, some parts, especially electronics can fail unexpectedly.
Just inspecting the rigging on a regular basis has saved me thousands when I've found a weak link in need of replacement before it failed and took the mast with it.
The chronilogical age of a boat is not always a reflection of the condition, I've been on boats that were 30 years that were in excellent condition and been on 5 year old boats that scared me, it all depends on the maintenance.
The fiberglass age has produced hulls that last a long time but the rest of the boat doesn't unless properly maintained.
That said, some were built better than others originally, more expensive boats tended to be better taken care of, most of the time, some were just stinkers to start with but most of those tended to disappear more quickly.
It's like Classic Rock, most tend to forget the crap that was also playing at the time and talk about how much better the music was way back when, the reality is that most of the real crap doesn't get played, just the stuff that stood the test of time.
Now, like back then, there are many good models, and some stinkers, you just have to do your homework.

lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 14:42   #48

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Originally Posted by goat View Post
The Vega was the top off my list for "next boat" unfortunately the stated 5'10'' headroom was slightly optimistic.
Yeah that is a problem for some, I'm 5' 6" and it's OK. My son is almost 6' and hates being inside.
glenn.225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 15:03   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I think most production boats are good cruising tools. Just mind where and how you are cruising and you may be fine.

barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 17:14   #50

Location: El Ciudad del Mission San Diego de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
You left off the Albin Vega VEGA 27 (ALBIN) sailboat specifications and details on
But I'm bias and they have been "around" everywhere.
Yes I realized that later after the aforementioned work, but it no longer seemed timely by then nor did expanding the list barring specific interest from somebody.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

cruising, model

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: