Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 09:40   #1

Good price for this pocket cruiser?

I don't sail. My wife used to sail with her parents when she was younger and would like to get back into it at some level.

We have the opportunity to purchase a 13' Guppy pocket cruiser, but I have no idea if the price is good or not. It's in good to excellent condition and we're buying from a trusted friend. He has offered it to us for $1,950, which includes the trailer and new electric motor.

Just looking for something fun for her to relearn the skill and take out on local lakes. Since these were limited production, I would think we could resell if it turns out not to be right boat for her.

Would appreciate any thoughts or feedback. Thanks in advance.
willshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 09:56   #2

Re: Good price for this pocket cruiser?

If you like it, it's probably OK. Why not do some comparison shopping first?

Have you sailed on it?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 10:07   #3

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Price helps that you are getting a trailer. I think most sailboats in that size range with trailer are going for $750 to $3000 depending on condition. So it sounds like it is in the right ballpark to me. You can get a free price estimate on BoatUS site. Or research on sales sites for similar design and sized boats such as a West Wight Potter.
Old 20-05-2013, 10:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
If you like it, it's probably OK. Why not do some comparison shopping first?

Have you sailed on it?
My wife took it out with the owner this weekend for a very short sail. She liked it and felt it could be something she could handle on her own. Good point about the comparison shopping - in this case, it was just an offer that presented itself, so we thought it might be a good opportunity based on the size and type of boat.
Old 20-05-2013, 10:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good price for this pocket cruiser?

I'd second the 'Potter'... the privacy of a cabin with loo and camping out facilities for up to 4 with a boom tent makes for great w/ends...
If the bobbing around bothers ya... put it on the trailer for the night

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 10:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Price helps that you are getting a trailer. I think most sailboats in that size range with trailer are going for $750 to $3000 depending on condition. So it sounds like it is in the right ballpark to me. You can get a free price estimate on BoatUS site. Or research on sales sites for similar design and sized boats such as a West Wight Potter.
Thanks for the info. I submitted a request to BoatUS and will check out West Wight Potter.
Old 20-05-2013, 10:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Good price for this pocket cruiser?

Sailboatdata.com is the worlds largest sailboat database.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 16:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshaker View Post
Thanks for the info. I submitted a request to BoatUS and will check out West Wight Potter.
I received the following back from BoatUS. Very fast - nice people!!!

Resale value is estimated to be in the $800 - $950 range (add for trailer if applicable), although, noting the age and the fact that only 300 were built anyway, the specific vessel could easily be properly priced significantly higher (or lower).

We would, therefore, encourage at least an informal "sense of things" inspection and consultation with a marine surveyor or some other locally knowledgeable marine professional prior to making an offer, to be followed up by a thorough pre-purchase survey upon acceptance of the offer.

In any case, it is recommended that you avail yourself of a sea-trial, to include flying all sails in the inventory, a complete rigging and hull survey, and a separate engine and engineering survey of the mechanical propulsion components, preferably by an experienced technician certified for that brand of machinery.

I'm guessing the trailer is worth about $300, which would put it in the $1,100 - $1,350 range, but have no idea how to factor for the scarcity/rare element. I was only able to find a handful of past sales on these ranging from around $700.00 without the trailer to $2,000 with it. The latter was in better condition than the one we are considering.

Any thoughts from you experienced folks on this?

Again, truly appreciate any responses - you all have been very helpful!
Old 22-05-2013, 16:43   #9

With boats, usually "scarce, rare or few built" equates to lower value.... 13 is definitely getting on the small size of even "pocket cruisers"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 16:54   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

2k for a trailer and an electric motor? Seems fair enough. But buying from friends is always a bit dangerous. But then 2k on a boat ain't much. Wait until you buy that 45' Catamaran next year.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 16:58   #11

Yeah... a $2k experience cant be too bad..... no matter what!

Old 22-05-2013, 17:02   #12

Boat: Celestial 48
There is one on craigs list in tucson az for $2,000 w elec motor and trailer. With boats all depends on condition.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 17:08   #13

FWIW, last year we bought a 23' Aquarius, with plenty of room to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids, portapotty, small galley area, BBQ grill, small solar panel, decent sails, old 6hp outboard and trailer. For this boat, in Minnesota, the $4k I paid may have been slightly high, but it was clean and ready to sail right away.

Just a comparison point for you. Good luck, and have fun!
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 09:12   #14

have you actually went and looked and sat in the boat? 13' is very small. if that's what you like so be it.... but I think it's a bit of a stretch calling it a "cruiser" of any sort. Big difference between that and 20-23 ft. and pretty much the same price....

Old 23-05-2013, 09:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshaker View Post
My wife took it out with the owner this weekend for a very short sail. She liked it and felt it could be something she could handle on her own. Good point about the comparison shopping - in this case, it was just an offer that presented itself, so we thought it might be a good opportunity based on the size and type of boat.

The price seems good (depending primarily on condition), and if your wife likes it, I'd go for it, or talk her into something bigger.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, price