Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-05-2013, 11:34   #16

Boat: Sandpiper 565
Re: Good price for this pocket cruiser?

I think it's a fair price for the boat.

If you can, try out a bunch of other boats in the same price neighbourhood (say $1k to $2.5k). In here you'll find choices ranging from fun fast dinghies (eg Wayfarer, CL16) through to maybe 22' or 23' cruisers needing some love.

There are compromises in making a 13' cruiser:

PLUSES - inexpensive, easy to handle, stable, cabin

MINUSES - less nimble than a dinghy, possibly slow on light days, bouncy in big water, small cockpit

But for the right people on a small lake or sheltered harbour, it could be a fun first boat, and should be easy to sell again if you want to move up.

Our boat is about 19' and seems to be a great blend of fun-to-sail, yet has useable accommodation for a 2 or 3 day trip, for the lakes we enjoy.

Old 23-05-2013, 11:49   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Re: Good price for this pocket cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
The price seems good (depending primarily on condition), and if your wife likes it, I'd go for it, or talk her into something bigger.
How about a Cal-20 or a Santana-22? You can get those for about the same price and they actually sail really well.

Old 23-05-2013, 16:50   #18

Boat: CAL 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post

How about a Cal-20 or a Santana-22? You can get those for about the same price and they actually sail really well.
I love my Cal 20. Very stable, easy to sail and cheap to buy and mainta. The down side is it does not trailer as easy. Some boats like the potter are set up.to trailer easy. A potter with a mast raising system would be easy to take out for the day where as some if the other boats will trailer but tons of work for a day.
So figure out when and where you eant to sail and in what conditions.
I picked mine because it will handle coastal and the great lakes. If I go on a vacation it wilk be for a month or two so it is no big deal trailering then. I have an E 150 and E 250 to tow with and I keep it in a slip. When I sailed inland I would trailer to a lake and it would take time away from sailing.
Thr down side to a potter is the cost, they are up there. I could have got something around 25 to 32 for.a clean potter.
Hit the marinas and sail some boats most of us love taking new people out. Oh and do not forget your wife and her opinion. If she does not feel comfortable and safe she will not go.

Tags
cruiser, price

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: