Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 09:59   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
I'm a monohull guy myself. Only sailed on a multi once. It was a homemade tri and didn't do anything for me. But I got a tour of a 44' cat the other day in FL and WOW!!! not much like a boat. That's why I say be careful before you show your wife/family.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 15:12   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Trainning the crew (or the captian) may be the key. A few charters on some assorted boats for short trips might help figure what works and what really works. 1 captain with a schedule, 4 women, and one head sounds like a a story that might not always be tranquil. Making the crew work together and cooperate isn't as easy as a rough sea.

As a captain you have limited authority in matters of "making things happen". Best to come to those terms very early as nothing we can tell you would mean anything until you understand those (your own) limits. They may define your solution more than you think. Fighting with the Admiral and the crew at the same time does not lead to quick promotions or rewards. You'll require a very happy crew not just one that works things out and follows the schedule.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 15:51   #18

Since you are looking for a blue water boat, I assume you would want a boat that would afford each of your daughters their own space, and not just a bunk in the salon. I'd suggest you look at the Kelly Peterson 46 and it's knock-off twin the Formosa 46.

It's a center cockpit design cutter rig, a wonderful blue water boat. You could reserve the v-berth with adjoining head for you and your partner. Then you could rework the aft cabin to set up two small cabins for two daughters. The third small cabin could be set up in the companionway between the aft cabin and the main salon. One issue that you'd have to design into your remodeling is ventilation for each of these three spaces.

The Formosa 46 can be had for well under 150k, depending on condition of course. The KP46 commands a higher price, but still under $200 k.

Every now and then, a distress sale comes along so if you start looking now chances are you will get one really cheap.

These are boats that are all 20 years old or more, so plan on a refit that could cost some serious $$ before heading out.

I have a hard time imagining a monohull under 44 feet that is a blue water boat that will meet your accomodation needs. But if you are willing to do some re-modeling along the lines I suggest, there are plenty of boats that can work for you.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 18:14   #19
Kai Nui

No multi vs mono battle here. I have always been a mono fan, but recently, I got multi fever, and I have to admit, I am impressed so far. The options available in the design of my trimaran have been a real eye opener. I do agree that buying a boat, and doing some remodeling to fit your needs is a good option. With a feww cabinetry skills, you can do some amazing things with the layout of a boat. As for the performance of a multi, like any boat, there are good and bad ones. Most of the newer designs sail pretty well. As for the market, I agree that it is a little more limited than the mono hull market, but as the popularity of multis increases, manufacturers are making more of them at lower cost, and as a result, the overall cost will go down to some degree. Within your implied price range (you haven't really said), there are allo of cats that will work. ONe last thought. Whatever you do, make sure you have rom for at least 2, and preferably 3 dinghys. With 3 teenagers, you may find yourself stranded aboard the boat whenever you are on the hook.
Old 02-08-2006, 19:32   #20

These are some great ideas... I will look at some of these boats.

As far as price range, I really don't know right now, but I think I will probably have to keep the boat purchase below 100K. Although I will have a steady retirement income coming in thank to the army, it won't be extensive, so I definitely will fall into the category of budget crusier. Not strapped, but definitely budget.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 19:40   #21

I was hoping to check out some cats at the Annapolis boat show, but unfortunately I am going to be on the road during that time....a real bummer. I have sailed on a 16' hobie cat, but that is it. It was fun, though!

Sailing with 4 women will definitely be a challenge, but I sure want to make the trip while I still have all three of them at home. I know that having their own space is important, no matter how small it is. The chance to crusie as a family may be a once in a lifetime experience. I have seen a lot of the world on my own, but not via boat, and not with my family. I am hoping to put a decent size kitty together in the next 5 years and go.
Old 02-08-2006, 20:14   #22
Kai Nui

Speaking from personal experience, I can say do what you can with the cruising kitty, but don't let it stop you I agree that going while the family is still at home and can all be invloved is a great decision. Your kids will thank you for it someday. Looking at the new boats is fun, and wil give you a nice wish list, but you may have a better, and more realistic experience just going to the local marina, and walking the docks. I am a firm believer that the best sailing designs are appealing to the eye. When you are walking the docks, look for boats that "look good". Then, research those boats to see which ones will fit your needs. You would be surprised at the deals you can find walking the docks on boats that are "not for sale".
Old 02-08-2006, 20:42   #23

Annapolis Boat Show? You ain't finding your boat at no boat show, Mack. Not for less than $100k.

Take a look at this Formosa 46, in California. They want $129k for what appears to be a very well equipped boat. If you could buy a boat like this, you'd be well on your way.

http://formosa46.googlepages.com/

At a boat show, you're going to find boats like this for $500k or more.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:27   #24

Oh, I definitely know that! <g> But, it would be a great chance to walk around and look at boats,especially the cats. I know those boats would be out of my league. I've walked around a couple of sports car lots too, but I drive a Honda!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:54   #25

Yeah, Mack, I figured that. But I want to say that I have not been to a boat show in about 10 years, and I have learned much more about boats since I stopped going to them.

I find boats that are for sale, I go look at them, I get down and dirty looking at all kinds of stuff they don't want you to look at in boat shows. Plus you can find out a lot about boats on the internet.

Did you check out that Formosa 46 I linked?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:04   #26

I did look at that link.....what a beautiful boat. I wish I was in a place to buy it now! <g> 46' is a pretty decent size boat, though. It looks like the center cockpit in it is kinda small.... Not sure exactly how I feel about a center cockpit versus an aft cockpit. I have read some discussions on both.....sometimes akin to the tiller vs. wheel discussions. Seems like those that have a center cockpit love them.

Thanks for the link!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:12   #27

Alot of systems too.
Old 03-08-2006, 23:29   #28

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
We sleep 5 in ou J/35 very comfortably. This is putting one in the salon. 6 would work putting two in the salon. The '89 - '92 models have nice interiors, sail like a dream nearly no wind at all, Are a total blast in 20+ kn. Less than 100k, and take a beating better than many boat types.

Although, like I said, it has a very comfortable interior, it comes at a cost. Very little storage at all. The girls will be limited to a toothbrush, 2 favorite photos, 1 change of summer clothes... It can be done but It'll be a squeeze. Island hopping, me the wife and 3 kiddies it works wonderful. We did it with 4 adults (Costal cruising) and it worked, but it was tight.

But for the (sailing quality + Interior volume + Price) its at least worth a look.

-jim lee
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 14:37   #29

I will definitely look at the J35. I'll be looking at a lot of boats over the next few years, I am sure! <g> However, I know that storage is going to be important, so that will be a major factor. I don't think I will be able to get away with a toothbrush and an ipod per girl and nothing else!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:37   #30

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
Good Boat for 5

Hi Mach,

We have just decided to put up our Pearson 36 for sale.

It has forward cabin for 2, a double on the port side, a single above it on the port aslo. On the starboard side there are 2 singles. Aft of the chart table there is also a quarter berth.

It's a 1973 with upgrades since I purchased it. Tha latest being a Yanmar 30GM30F and a 135% Genoa.

If you are interseted I can send you a list off line.

Sonny