Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2015, 18:52   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
Good alternative to Amel?

I'm thinking about buying a monohull in the 47-55 foot range which is designed with blue water voyaging in mind. I've looked at several Amels and there is a lot to recommend them, but I don't like the center cockpit arrangement with the wheel against the bulkhead. What would be a good alternative to Amel for this type of boat?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 22:17   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Good alternative to Amel?

I like the Tayana 55 in that range. Very solid boat. Only knock on it (and its a personal taste issue) is it has a straight galley on the starboard side. Meaning your constantly walking through the galley to access the stern cabin and engine room.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 06:49   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

I considered Tayana as well as HR, Oyster, OVNI, Garcia etc etc. I've seen quite a few Tayanas with visible water marks on the interior surfaces... expect to spend 50K plus if you need a new deck.

(Some Tayana owners are in "Another world".. there is a CC 52 named Polar Bear which has been for sale for 5 years. Was 250K now 265K... NUTS!)

I understand your point but the helm is better protected in Amels than any other vessel in its class. We liked the hard dodger feature very much when we broad reached for 3 days in 45 knot Meltemis. (No water in my beer) Also, while cruising, the AP will do 99% of the driving unless you are a masochist. :big grin:

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 06:54   #4

Boat: 1982 Valiant 47

John Neal of Mahina Expeditions has a good list of capable bluewater boats at the end of this link
ChaseTheFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 06:57   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
I'm thinking about buying a monohull in the 47-55 foot range which is designed with blue water voyaging in mind. I've looked at several Amels and there is a lot to recommend them, but I don't like the center cockpit arrangement with the wheel against the bulkhead. What would be a good alternative to Amel for this type of boat?
You will like the Sundeer

Here's us:
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 06:57   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Have a look at the Hylas 46 or 49. I looked at the Tayana 48 but the Hylas had a much better layout for me.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 07:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Here's us:
Envy... Envy!!! But she's not in the same budget league as the OP suggests..
Old 15-02-2015, 07:17   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I really like the Amels.

But here is another that is interesting for some similar style and length.

Outbound 52

See the photos on this linked page.

Outbound 52-gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	97171  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 07:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Here's us:
I have admired he Sundeer line for many years now. Great boats!

-----

The mizzen looks close in size to the main. What are the areas of those sails?
Old 15-02-2015, 08:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I really like the Amels.

But here is another that is interesting for some similar style and length.

Outbound 52

See the photos on this linked page.

Outbound 52-gallery

Hi SH, another one worthy of drool. In concept, both of these boats are close to Amel 55. The OP suggested a Tayana 52-55... this indicates to me that LIKE ME, he's another poor schmuck...

If I'm not careful, I will die of hunger with some overpriced toys in my possession.
Old 15-02-2015, 08:39   #11

Boat: Tayana 37

Completely overlooked another option. Its on the lower end of your size range, but what about a Bristol 47.7?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hi SH, another one worthy of drool. In concept, both of these boats are close to Amel 55. The OP suggested a Tayana 52-55... this indicates to me that LIKE ME, he's another poor schmuck...

If I'm not careful, I will die of hunger with some overpriced toys in my possession.

I have been on a new Tayana 55 and and thought it was a very nice looking boat too, and what I remember most was LOTS of wood in the interior. But, for me the Amel boat has something different about it that I find appealing and sensible.

The OP mentioned the seated wheel position (on the forward bulkhead of the cockpit). At first I thought that looked odd. But, after considering the times when I would want to use it, it makes sense and to be UNDER the hard dodger makes sense.

As you pointed out, most cruising will be done using an autopilot, so the time "at" the wheel is minimal on most voyages.

When would I WANT to be at the wheel (actually using it)?
Aside from docking, maneuvering in close quarters, or encountering vessel traffic, the other time would be in challenging conditions such as a storm or high winds or limited visibility, etc. During those times I would not want to depend on an autopilot to do the piloting. During those times, it is also likely that the helmsman would be MORE comfortable and alert IF they are protected from spray, rain, cold wind, etc. That is, UNDER the hard dodger, NOT in an exposed position in a cockpit. So, the Amel design (wheel on the bulkhead and UNDER the hard dodger) seems IDEAL to me for those circumstances.

So, what seemed "odd" at first, after much thought on it, seems "ideal" now.

I see this as an example of how considering a "different" design from the aspects of WHY it was designed that way and then matching that to real experience (I have spent stormy nights on watch alone in a cockpit) makes a lot of sense, at least it does to me.
Old 15-02-2015, 09:44   #13

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I've owned sloop and ketch rigs. In my opinion, a ketch rig offers much more versatility. An Amel is on my bucket list!
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:45   #14

Quote:
It really depends on what you find the characteristic of the Amel. Its features: centre cockpit, ketchrigged and set up for offshore cruising.
In the size you looking there are many candidates, although ketches and yawls have been out of fashion since furlers have become commonplace. If the offshore set up is what you like best here are a few options:
Contests in the 40 plus range, Bowmans, Some older Oysters are beautiful and there are quite a few in that bracket, Hallberg Rassy, Malo, Najad and there are some great cruisers from the US like Morgan, Cabo Rico, Mason and quite some more. Check out the seconds hand sites in US and you will see the brands. Nordia from Holland (steel). From the 60 and 70ties, big Nicholsons, van der Stadt Gallant 53 (rare) and check out Ocean 60 for sale in the Carieb for around Eur 170k. Have fun searching.
nickkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 20:40   #15

Here is a thought for you...

1989 Oyster 53 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com