Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 12:37   #31

Re: Good alternative to Amel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
While I am very much in favor of windvane steering, I was lead to believe it wasn't very practical for boats over about 40-45'. That the physical limitations of the vane essentially limited it to a somewhat smaller boat. Can anyone clarify this for me? (Sorry for the minor hijack).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Our monitor windvane steers our 41' 10 ton Tartan just fine. For days on end on passage....
Old 16-02-2015, 12:38   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
For a half year looking now

I like the Amel concept from a cruising point of view and specially the cockpit with the helm in forward position.
For one it garanties protection in bad weather condition like no other boat has shown me yet unless it has a pilot house. Just donīt get excited about wet experiences during extended periods. A dry enviroment is also positive for the instruments / gear requiered at the helm.
Hmmm, I rarely get wet on big weather offshore, and I have an aft cockpit.
Old 16-02-2015, 12:43   #33

You could put forth a good argument for refitting the boat you have for offshore. All the gear is new and under warranty and much of it can be removed after your trip and sold separately which I'm sure you would do better on than leaving it on the boat.
If you are wanting to spend many years cruising offshore then maybe a better built boat might serve you best and it would come with much of the gear you would be buying although you'd have to be careful that it still had lots of life left in it.
Its not an easy decision because you already have a boat that you are used to and you wouldn't be taking a hit on the costs to change boats. If I were you and I was on a budget I'd keep the Benni but if I had some extra dough dripping from my jeans I'd probably upgrade.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 12:51   #34

Well,
add on a cold breeze 4 oīclock in the morning in colder climate zones and direct sunlight all day long in hot climates. With that cockpit configuration I have all the option.
Old 16-02-2015, 13:35   #35

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Amel has everything you need for long distance cruising...just buy food and bring your clothes !
We did 7500 miles in the South Pacific last year with very few problems and in real comfort.
Before we bought our Super Maramu, we looked at Hallberg Rassy, Oyster, Sundeer, but just couldn't beat Amel for value for money.
And that centre cockpit with hard dodger screen (everything else is PVC and removable) is just fantastic.
The Amel user group offers the best support of any boat make I know.
Buy Amel, you wont be sorry.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 14:57   #36

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Greetings Alan,

We obviously agree !

Smile Baby, Smile!

Jean-Pierre
SY Eleuthera
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:13   #37

Donīt mean to interupt
Understand they built the Super Maramu since 1989
What is the difference to the 2000 ?
Old 16-02-2015, 15:39   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

The Camper Nicolsons 48 has a hard dodger/enclosure with a forward helm. We have friends that we met while cruising, and they had circumnavigated with theirs. Spending time on that boat is the reason we went to look at our CN 44, which we now live on. The 44 does not have the forward helm position - we installed a hard dodger/bimini with semi-soft/hard windows. But it was some of the design features that sold us on the boat. Easy to access engine/mechanical spaces, integral big water tanks, a great nav station (I am sitting there right now) etc.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 18:27   #39

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

There's a Sundeer for sale on Maui. It's been listed for a few years at $495k. Fiji's only an 8 day sail away.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 01:00   #40

Quote:
Donīt mean to interupt
Understand they built the Super Maramu since 1989
What is the difference to the 2000 ?
Greets Warrior 90,

The Super Maramus are evolutionary; The Amel trade mark dual headsails (genoa & balooner) is present on all boats. The early ones had a 2 throat foil on the forestay. Means hoisting both headsails on a single halyard. The later boats have a 3 throat foil on the forestay which allows a mouse to trip a second halyard dedicated to the balooner. It helps but given that most of my sailing will be done downwind and the twin sails can be furled together, I've not bothered upgrading to the 3 throat foil.

Genset: early ones were 2 cyl of German manufacture and were unreliable. This was quickly changed to Onan 6.5 KW. Ultimately, a 7.5 KW unit was fitted.

Watermaker: early boats had 25 liter per hour. Last boats were 100 l/hr some as high as 160 l/hr.

Main engine: started off with Perkins 80 HP then Volvo 80 HP (same engine... different color), then came 80 HP Yanmar then Yanmar 100 and last units are 105HP.

AC/Heating: early boats had 2 zone: main cabin & salon. Later boats added the forward cabin. All boats have 3 zone electrical heating.

Electronics: old boats had a GPS where the display was 30 cm X 15 cm (6 in X 12 Inches) and only displayed Lat/Long. All boats had B&G instruments. The electronics evolved over time.

Sorry about the dreaded thread drift
Old 17-02-2015, 03:34   #41

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinowski View Post
There's a Sundeer for sale on Maui. It's been listed for a few years at $495k. Fiji's only an 8 day sail away.
Its been for sale for at least 5 years...it has an un-stayed mast, it was originally made with an Aerorig and the current owner took it out...I don't think he really wants to sell it
And an unstayed mast ?...I wouldn't go there, not for serious off shore sailing.

i was seriously interested in Deerfoots and Sundeers for quite while, but I'm glad I bought an Amel....again, for the money, it's hard to beat, you get everything !
We even have Amel towels, dinner plates, bowls...!!!
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 04:49   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Greets Warrior 90,

The Super Maramus are evolutionary; The Amel trade mark dual headsails (genoa & balooner) is present on all boats. The early ones had a 2 throat foil on the forestay. Means hoisting both headsails on a single halyard. The later boats have a 3 throat foil on the forestay which allows a mouse to trip a second halyard dedicated to the balooner. It helps but given that most of my sailing will be done downwind and the twin sails can be furled together, I've not bothered upgrading to the 3 throat foil.

Genset: early ones were 2 cyl of German manufacture and were unreliable. This was quickly changed to Onan 6.5 KW. Ultimately, a 7.5 KW unit was fitted.

Watermaker: early boats had 25 liter per hour. Last boats were 100 l/hr some as high as 160 l/hr.

Main engine: started off with Perkins 80 HP then Volvo 80 HP (same engine... different color), then came 80 HP Yanmar then Yanmar 100 and last units are 105HP.

AC/Heating: early boats had 2 zone: main cabin & salon. Later boats added the forward cabin. All boats have 3 zone electrical heating.

Electronics: old boats had a GPS where the display was 30 cm X 15 cm (6 in X 12 Inches) and only displayed Lat/Long. All boats had B&G instruments. The electronics evolved over time.

Sorry about the dreaded thread drift
Hi there Eleuthera 2014

Thxs for the info...was very helpfull and cleared my mind up a lot further. Looks like they got it pretty much right of the start.

As U might imagine the throat on the foil is also not on my priority list.

Less the german gen set I canīt see any mayor issues. Nothing that the 7,5 Onan does and the 6,5 wonīt do.
Same goes for the different engines.
Does that mean the high output alternator was standard ?
Do they still use the same sail drive for all the diff. engines ?

A/C....No issue
The electronics I consider a regular upgrade and like a PC and will help me learning faster. Checked around.....amazing how fast the evolution. So I counted that in allready.

Leaves only the issue of the desalinator. The only thing I have clear is water is comfort and also a part of safety. RO systems in general are reliable allways if used continously. The rest is a question of energy.

Amazing....checked lotīs of Super Maramus and donīt see any fancy DIY stuff in the basics. Seems like everybody is pretty much happy with the way things are.

Thanks again
&
Enjoy Life
Old 17-02-2015, 05:27   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Concerning the central engine space, we have had both under the companionway/cockpit engine spaces, and now, an engine "room" under the center cockpit. This was actually one of the main reasons we bought our boat. In that one space, we have:

Main Engine, exhaust systems
Generator, exhaust
Hot water heater
Freshwater pump
Holding tank
Macerator pump
Autopilot drive
Refrigeration compressor (keel cooled)
Espar Hydronic Heater
Fuel filters and pumps

I am probably missing something. We don't have the overhead hatch, but 2/3 of the area is under the lazarette, which has removable flooring. The cockpit drain pan is removable if the engine needs to come out. Having stuff that makes noise in the sound insulated space is a plus.

I project managed the installation of a bunch of gear on a 2014 Beneteau 48 this past fall. The options for mounting and installing equipment was not good at all, in comparison - especially for electronics. Most modern boats are wonderful to live on, if you don't install much gear. Once you do, you quickly eat up so much of the useful storage.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 06:13   #44

Quote:
Hi there Eleuthera 2014

Thxs for the info...was very helpfull and cleared my mind up a lot further. Looks like they got it pretty much right of the start.

As U might imagine the throat on the foil is also not on my priority list.

Less the german gen set I canīt see any mayor issues. Nothing that the 7,5 Onan does and the 6,5 wonīt do.
Same goes for the different engines.
Does that mean the high output alternator was standard ?
Do they still use the same sail drive for all the diff. engines ?

A/C....No issue
The electronics I consider a regular upgrade and like a PC and will help me learning faster. Checked around.....amazing how fast the evolution. So I counted that in allready.

Leaves only the issue of the desalinator. The only thing I have clear is water is comfort and also a part of safety. RO systems in general are reliable allways if used continously. The rest is a question of energy.

Amazing....checked lotīs of Super Maramus and donīt see any fancy DIY stuff in the basics. Seems like everybody is pretty much happy with the way things are.

Thanks again
&
Enjoy Life
Pleased to help... if you want more info, you can always PM me.
Old 19-02-2015, 14:06   #45

Boat: Freedom 44 Cat Ketch

20 years ago I was very interested in the Sharki and took a trip to La Rochelle to visit the Amel factory. We let them know that we were coming and they put out the red carpet. This is probably the best way to get an idea to the boat. I was so impressed with the way that the boats are put together that nothing else compares. Do yourself a great favor and take the trip. The cost of a boat like an Amel makes the cost of the trip a non issue. In addition look up Joel Potter who is the Amel rep in the US. He will be able to give you all sorts of information that you might not get from a broker. Have fun, I am envious.

Peter Haydon, Owner of a FREEDOM 44
pshaydon is offline   Reply With Quote