Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 12:31   #1

Going to Charter a Monohull - Finally

I have been chartering catamarans around the world for 10 years now and really love them. They are fast and stable, roomy and have less than 3 ft of draft. When you turn in for the night it is like you have a boat all to yourself as you are in one hull seperated from the other by 15+ feet. I am sure that some of you will be horrified to hear that I have never even set foot on a monohull. But I am curious as to why people rent or buy anything but cats. I am tempted to charter a monohull just to see what all the fuss is about. Is there any advantages to monohull over multihull?
luv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:35   #2

Here we go again....
nettlesbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48   #3

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2 View Post
Is there any advantages to monohull over multihull?
Simple answer, yes.

In reality it is much more complex and has been debated endlessly. Search the forums . . .
Old 09-09-2010, 12:58   #4

Boat: San Juan 28
There should be a script running on the server that auto-deletes any thread that has "cat" and "mono" in the title.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 13:18   #5

I have searched.

I have looked for threads on this topic and still do not understand why one would choose monohull. I am sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but I am still curious as to what advantages a monohull might have over a cat. So far I have only found out that "real sailors sail monohull". That is probably true, but is it just due to tradition or are there things you can't do in a cat? I think that monohulls will self-correct if knocked down whereas cats are down for the count. But in most conditions this should be avoidable. Any other advantages that really stand out? Sorry for my ignorance but I am tired of wondering what the apparently obvious answers are.
Old 09-09-2010, 13:25   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
I have looked for threads on this topic and still do not understand why one would choose monohull. I am sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but I am still curious as to what advantages a monohull might have over a cat. So far I have only found out that "real sailors sail monohull". That is probably true, but is it just due to tradition or are there things you can't do in a cat? I think that monohulls will self-correct if knocked down whereas cats are down for the count. But in most conditions this should be avoidable. Any other advantages that really stand out? Sorry for my ignorance but I am tired of wondering what the apparently obvious answers are.
Generally, 35-45' mono's mostly have more headroom then cats, and go up wind better. Oh, and less $$$. Other than that, 'tis your choice which works better for you. I like broccoli, you like brussel sprouts.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 13:33   #7

Possibly read this thread from another forum (is that allowed here? if not please delete my post). It may give you another perspective.

Honestly though, you may have discovered the perfect sailing experience? Charter for a week in an exotic location, sip rum drinks, call for help when it breaks, leave before the weather turns or the bottom needs to be painted.

Catamaran sailing in gale- Video - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 13:40   #8

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
In the area where I sail (Brittany, English Channel), the sea is generally choppy, even in summer. From my experience, cats have a bumpy ride when going to windward in these conditions.

Moreover, space is tight in marinas and fishing harbors (rafting by twos or threes , sometimes fours, is often necessary). Cats need a lot of room for berthing, and it doesn't come cheap. In this area, there are not so many sheltered anchorages where a cat would be comfortable.

On a more personal note, I couldn't afford a catamaran large enough to sleep 4 people comfortably and safely cross the Channel, the Irish sea and the bay of Biscay.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 13:47   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
I'd rather sit in a cockpit than on a "trampoline."
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 13:50   #10

Monohulls return to right side up, cats are stable upside down.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 14:23   #11

Still not convinced.

Thanks to all whom have commented. Are there no sailers out there that will defend their beloved Cats? I get that the costs are more prohibitve for Cats and space in port can be an issue but I still have not heard anyone refute that Cats out perform monohulls on the water. I have already booked and paid for my rental for this year, but I think I will charter a monohull next time. It sounds like one just has to try both and come to their own conclusions. On a long blue-water sail on a Cat, I would be concerned about flipping it in a squall and bobbing like a cork for the forseeable future.
Old 09-09-2010, 14:33   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
I have been chartering catamarans around the world for 10 years now and really love them. They are fast and stable, roomy and have less than 3 ft of draft. When you turn in for the night it is like you have a boat all to yourself as you are in one hull seperated from the other by 15+ feet. I am sure that some of you will be horrified to hear that I have never even set foot on a monohull. But I am curious as to why people rent or buy anything but cats. I am tempted to charter a monohull just to see what all the fuss is about. Is there any advantages to monohull over multihull?

It's true we have JUST had this discussion. The search function is your friend and the archives are a treasurehouse of information.

But anyway --

Preference between cat and mono really boils down to feel, more than anything. If you like the way a mono feels, you will not like a cat (especially in confused seas), and vice versa.

Many of the other perceived differences result from a fallacious comparison of cats and monos of the same length. They don't compare foot for foot; cats have two hulls and are wider so a given length of cat is equivalent to a different, and obviously longer monohull. This is logical when you think about it -- compare cost, and area.

Thus my 54' mono is equivalent probably to a 45' to 47' cat. Cost is similar (if you look at same quality). Space is similar. Even speed is similar, although a cat works somewhat better and is maybe faster downwind, while a mono will work better than a cat upwind, being faster and more weatherly, and will deal with rough seas upwind more comfortably.

I feel just as isolated from guests on my 54' mono as one feels on a 47 cat, if not more so. My aft cabin is separated from guest/crew quarters by a workshop, then the whole main saloon. There's a good 20' at least separating them, plus a number of doors.

Draft is a big advantage of cats, as are twin engines. There are other pluses and minuses. But you won't really care too much of that once you've decided which one just feels right.

Buy all means, charter a mono and try it out. I chartered a cat to try it out, for a couple of weeks once. It was a valuable experience.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 14:53   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Are there no sailers out there that will defend their beloved Cats?
There is nothing to defend

The fact that the majority of passenger ferries are multi's
The amount of multi's in charter fleets is increasing
and the military having added multis to their fleets all speaks for itself
Old 09-09-2010, 14:59   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Generally, 35-45' mono's mostly have more headroom then cats, and go up wind better. Oh, and less $$$. Other than that, 'tis your choice which works better for you. I like broccoli, you like brussel sprouts.
I am 194 cms and have no headroom dramas in my boat. And I go to windward just as well as a cruising mono of similar attitude (ie rough size - type of sails etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
In the area where I sail (Brittany, English Channel), the sea is generally choppy, even in summer. From my experience, cats have a bumpy ride when going to windward in these conditions.

Alain
Some do some dont and some monos, particularly some modern production boats carry a flattish forward section so far forward that they slam worse than any cat ever built going to windward

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'd rather sit in a cockpit than on a "trampoline."
?? Not sure what this bloke means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Monohulls return to right side up, cats are stable upside down.
Yada yada yada. Some monos return - some sink, some the keels fall off - I would have thought in either prudent sailors would mitigate the risk.

Quote:
On a long blue-water sail on a Cat, I would be concerned about flipping it in a squall and bobbing like a cork for the forseeable future.
Reef early and often - fundamentally luv 2 the reason you havent had too many multihulls buy into this debate is that they are prolly a little tired of the unending truisms like cats cant go to windward and cats fall over etc etc,. Im 54 and have sailed all sorts of boats all my life and now choose my current boat, its my money and my choice. same for everyone else.

Oh and in relation to dockheads and others, comments about berthing etc, it depends where you are re costs, but can I just say there aint anywhere in my club that you can park a 54 foot mono or cat or tri, nowhere. So length can be a problem as much as beam.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 22:05   #15

Thanks.

Hey, sorry again for boring everyone with what is apparently a very tired debate. It was nice to hear from both sides. I love my Cats but I will charter a monohull at some point in the future just to see. It seems that debates like this exist is all facets of our world. ie Skiing vs snowboarding, gas vs deisel, Toyota vs Ford etc,. In the end, we are all sailors. We head out on the oceans for the same reasons, the feel of the wind in our sails and the sun on our face! Happy sailing.