Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 23:45   #31

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Getting into blue water Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanyon View Post
I am wondering about a Phantom 32. How do they compare to a Cavalier 32 for coastal cruising (Australia). They look similar but how will they compare when I am south of Gabo island at 3am, enroute to Eden?
Bass Strait, Urrg.. Been there done that in winter. Double urrg

Anyhow. What will be more important is your abilty to look after the boat in said conditions. All the boats mentioned so far can do what you want.

The main thing is not to over invest in toys in this part of the market. Wind vanes, watermakers etc etc all ad up to big big bucks and added weight on relatively smallish boats. The toys wont add a great deal of value to the boat the day you sell it. Perhaps 10-20% of their value.

It would be cheaper to simply take more water, or use a bit of extra fuel, to charge batteries, unless you are planning on very long passages.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 15:54   #32

There is a 1983 Swanson 36 for sale nearby. It is listed at $49k which is a stretch. Please tell me what you know about these as a coastal cruiser. Also given I won't have much cost margin, what are the areas I need to be looking carefully at? What is the life of the rigging? Are they are full length keel with an attached rudder (I cant find any photos). Thanks all, the advise has been very good
slanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 18:02   #33

Quote:
There is a 1983 Swanson 36 for sale nearby. It is listed at $49k which is a stretch. Please tell me what you know about these as a coastal cruiser. Also given I won't have much cost margin, what are the areas I need to be looking carefully at? What is the life of the rigging? Are they are full length keel with an attached rudder (I cant find any photos). Thanks all, the advise has been very good
The swansons used to be built on the Central Coast NSW many many years back. They are not a full keel.. Rather a long fin keel. I am pretty sure the Keel is moulded on. Not bolted on.

Your insurer will probably want a rigging survey every five years. Replacement around ten years-ish.

The swansons generally had a small cockpit with more room below. Thus making them roomier for liveaboards. But crampy for day sails with 6+ on board.

Is it one of these two?
Used 1984 SWANSON 36 CRUISING YACHT Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au

Used Swanson 36 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Old 04-05-2016, 18:21   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Getting into blue water Cruising

Quote:
Swanson Yachts a buyers guide Boat News, Review & Advice - boatpoint.com.au

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 18:30   #35

thanks for your advice. I have been looking at the first in Melbourne however the 2nd one in Tassie looks like a better deal. I will take your advice and find out about rigging etc. Pity its in Tassie as crossing Bass Strait probably not a good idea for my first bluewater/coastal cruise. Comments? Maybe there are couriers?
slanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 18:38   #36

Quote:
thanks for your advice. I have been looking at the first in Melbourne however the 2nd one in Tassie looks like a better deal. I will take your advice and find out about rigging etc. Pity its in Tassie as crossing Bass Strait probably not a good idea for my first bluewater/coastal cruise. Comments? Maybe there are couriers?
There are plenty of delivery skippers around. Getting it back from Tas would be a great trip with the right skipper and at least one experienced crew. (all at a cost of course).

That said, your learning curve with a pro skipper on board would increase dramatically.

The prices vary for skippers. They charge by the day in most cases (sometimes miles). You also will be up for flights, food, liferaft hire etc of course. They usually bring their own weather grear, nav tools, harness etc.

I have heard of deals being done with vendors who sometimes help out with delivery. Its not the general thing, but it does happen.

If you speak to the broker, he can probably ball park the delivery costs for you.
Old 04-05-2016, 18:40   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Its not that bad.. and not all that far.. just pick a good window and you'll be fine.
Failing that an adventurous guy from here might be prepared to help deliver it for you.. there's a few members from Tassie in the Forum.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 04-05-2016, 18:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its not that bad.. and not all that far.. just pick a good window and you'll be fine.
Failing that an adventurous guy from here might be prepared to help deliver it for you.. there's a few members from Tassie in the Forum.
Under normal circumstances I would agree you Boatman. But our friend knows he has limited skills and knowledge. Having been in Bass strait in its glory, I really wouldnt recommend that journey for his shakedown cruise.

I remember leaving Port Philip Bay on the way to Eden a few years back. We had a window of 5 days. 48 hours later we had 45 knots on the nose. Urg.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:52   #39
F10

Boat: S&S 34

Not sure how much work she needs, but looks like a good deal. You could strip the cabin and fit her as you like to meet your needs. Annapolis Maryland has all the services you need to refit the boat:
Sailboat Cavalier 36

Sailboat Cavalier 36' - (Galesville, MD)

condition: good
engine hours (total): 300
length overall (LOA): 36
Beam 11.81
make / manufacturer: Cavalier
propulsion type: sail

Sailboat 1978 Cavalier 36'

Yanmar Diesel 3GM with less than 300 hours
Radar (Raytheon)
Ray Marine Chartplotter
GPS
Depth Sounder

2 New Batteries
Complement of Sails
2 Spinaker Poles
New Main Sail Cover
Solar Panel Bar
Dodger excellent condition
6 Life Vests

Rigging lines are new.
Auto Pilot (Not Installed)
Battery Charger (Not Installed)
Windlass
ShorePower with inlet fitting and dock cord
Participated in Sydney Hobard Races

Boat is currently on the hard. The boat is priced according to its condition.
If interested, We would love to chat with and show you the boat anytime. Please let us know immediately if you are interested by replying to this message or contact Chris show contact info or in Evening show contact info

$6,400
Price is negotiable..

Additional Information about Cavalier boats:
Page 1
The Cavalier 36 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org
CAVALIER 36 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
History
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 14:22   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Slanyon,

Summer would be a better time to deliver a boat from Tassie to Melbourne. Probably the route from the East Coast of Tassie, as it gives shelter from the Westerly swell and vigorousness, then you can island hop much of the way.

Don't know if you've been looking at the Met Eye for the last couple of days, but that would sure discourage me!

GILow also has a Swanson, and there is also a Swanson forum in which he is involved.
It seems to me, he wound up replacing his chainplates.

We know a couple of people from Tassie who do deliveries, in case you might be interested.

Ann
Old 10-05-2016, 14:33   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Under normal circumstances I would agree you Boatman. But our friend knows he has limited skills and knowledge. Having been in Bass strait in its glory, I really wouldnt recommend that journey for his shakedown cruise.

I remember leaving Port Philip Bay on the way to Eden a few years back. We had a window of 5 days. 48 hours later we had 45 knots on the nose. Urg.
Damn.. and I was going to recommend you for the job.. ahh well..

Old 10-05-2016, 14:58   #42

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Its not too bad, take your time and aim for Beauty Point first, leave the boat there then hop across in the next decent patch. Ideally with a tassie based delivery skipper so they can prep the boat, and wait for the right spell of weather. At this time of the year patience is the key.

Alternatively leave it down here for a season and sail her for a while!

I sailed a Swanson 36 once, I was impressed with its stiffness and power to windward. Felt good. Solid boats.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
cruising, water