Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 14:49   #106
cruiser

Re: Getting discouraged

There are doers and dreamers and armchair sailors. I figured I'd get some flack for my prior post, but still figure it's great advice for a novice just getting started and setting out in the North Pacific where the water is really COLD.

Right now I'm sitting here in Menorca high and dry under our enclosed cockpit while the wind is blowing a driving rain at over 45 knots. I'm not wet or cold, in fact, I'm in the marina because I looked ahead on my ipad and saw this one coming. But had I been out in a local cove, my oversized anchor would have held; and if I'd gotten into trouble, the VHF radio and rescue equipment would be very important to us right about..... NOW.

Things happen and the ocean is very unforgiving to the unexperienced novice. 'Just a thought.

I'm not trying to be a downer... Just plan for the unexpected and you'll be fine.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 14:52   #107
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Getting discouraged

Ahhhhh.. tail end of the Tramontana's huh... no worries mate... come mid April you'll be smilin n sailin again.. Enjoy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 14:54   #108

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

It's all good equipment to have, no question about it, but you certainly can do what the OP is suggesting without it.

The greatest concern was the NWP sailing, but it seems like she understands the additional risks there.

My idea of a "must have" list?
Good swimming ability
Patience and common sense
A self-inflating sailing vest on any boat where the boom is at head level or below
A sound boat, well maintained and suitably outfitted for the planned conditions

The last is very different whether you are in the Gulf of Mexico, or in the Arctic Ocean
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:06   #109

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Boatman6,

Use whichever you prefer. I used neither of these, but if I was to choose I'd go for the boom tent at anchor and an umbrella under way. Can you visualize why? I wonder.

No, my boat has a sturdy boom gallow over which the back of the cover fits with an overhang stopping just above the tiller. The front of the cover is open and snaps onto tubing matching the boom gallow contour and is suppotrted by uprights attached to 1 1/8" stanchions. The sides are low enough to shelter from a setting sun but open at the bottom 1' above the coaming to allow for air circulation. Made of the kind of plastic 'tarp' sold in most hardware stores for less than $20 for an 10x12. Use it underway too.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:16   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

having sailed on $700 dollar boats,$7000 dollar boats,$70,000 dollar boats,$700,000 dollar boats,$7000,000 and $70,000,000 dollar boats one thing i have noticed the sea allways looks the same............only the owners perspective is different..........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:29   #111
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
Boatman6,

Use whichever you prefer. I used neither of these, but if I was to choose I'd go for the boom tent at anchor and an umbrella under way. Can you visualize why? I wonder.
No clouds...

No, my boat has a sturdy boom gallow over which the back of the cover fits with an overhang stopping just above the tiller. The front of the cover is open and snaps onto tubing matching the boom gallow contour and is suppotrted by uprights attached to 1 1/8" stanchions. The sides are low enough to shelter from a setting sun but open at the bottom 1' above the coaming to allow for air circulation. Made of the kind of plastic 'tarp' sold in most hardware stores for less than $20 for an 10x12. Use it underway too.

armido
I go for the 'Burn' in the tropics... but N of 30 the dodger/sprayhood goes up.. can you visualise why... I wonder..

Old 13-03-2013, 15:45   #112
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

here at lat 17 i am using a cloth shower curtain over the cockpit, on the mizzen boom, and i have plastic tarps under the main boom like wings to bring in the breezes and over forepeak i will be adding another plastic tarp to catch air--but when i sail, boat's topsides are nekkid and i have no biminis as yet...there is a jury rig sunshade i make while under way and unable to find shade in cockpit....am in process of designing boom gallowses and covers and solar panel mounts and sheet travellers in one for two, as i have 2 masts...so i can have my cake and eat it, too.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:46   #113

boatman61,

The advantage to my simple cover is it can be removed quickly at dusk so my visibility is good for 360 degrees at night and also enjoy the moon and stars unimpeded by a dodger or bimini. It is part of a routine that includes throwing in a reef. It can be put or taken down easily depending on the conditions. No hard and fast rule related to latitude to follow.

armido
Old 13-03-2013, 15:48   #114

Zeenag,

Nekked? I need crew.

armido
Old 13-03-2013, 15:51   #115
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Zeenag,

Nekked? I need crew.

armido

dream on.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:51   #116
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
boatman61,

The advantage to my simple cover is it can be removed quickly at dusk so my visibility is good for 360 degrees at night and also enjoy the moon and stars unimpeded by a dodger or bimini. It is part of a routine that includes throwing in a reef. It can be put or taken down easily depending on the conditions. No hard and fast rule related to latitude to follow.

armido
Damn.... I just go to bed..

Old 15-03-2013, 14:09   #117

Boat: Watkins 32

Sarah,

Look at a Watkins 32 or 36. It is a sturdy boat with lots of headroom. I am 6'5" tall and I live on one. It has an ample v-berth (again I am 6'5") and a quarter berth to port. The diesel can be anyway from 20 to 33 HP and the cockpit is great for sundowners. if you can wait 2 years you buy mine for cheap (LOL!). But I wouldn't wait 2 years.
dlauginiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 14:10   #118

Boat: Watkins 32

Sorry, I meant to say I am 6'5" tall and I live on a Watkins 32. The 36 is a bit bigger but has less headroom, believe it or not.

David
dlauginiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 14:20   #119

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
If your out when it's snowing you should probably have your head examined.

armido
We used to go sailing when it was snowing, and relized my polarized sunglasses eliminated falling snow from my vision.

When I related that experience to a non sailor of ours, she said,

"You're kidding, it snows over water too?"

Steve

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 14:36   #120

Boat: Liberty 458
Firstly 'just do it'.

It's a great plan but heeding the advice of knowledgable people is sound advice.

Secondly if you have a wide range of skills suited to maintaining a boat and have enough sailing experience you'll know what's right.

Thirdly. We recently spent 4 months travelling from California to Georgia along the entire Gulf Coast and parts of the Carribean and Europe looking for a 50' ketch to sail the world. While we saw plenty of contenders many owners ask too much. The good boats sell quickly and for only a 10 - 15% discount. To get the real bargains you need to be lucky, just once, or be in the area for a long time. Yachts in Florida, while they're plentiful are in our experience rubbish. Lot's of yacht owners but not many sailors so most boats are junk.

We've been distracted lately on our tech startup, decision making @dezolvedecision but we'll be looking again this year. I guess I'm saying that buying can take a long time. Others have made the same comments.

Good luck and keep updating.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote