Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-03-2013, 16:48   #121

Re: Getting discouraged

Are you still here? Well then GET OFF YOUR DUFFS AND CAST OFF THE LINES OF BOUNDRIES.... Geeze, get a move on already. LOL.

Old 15-03-2013, 17:09   #122

hahahah...working on it!!

Old 15-03-2013, 17:32   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
We used to go sailing when it was snowing, and relized my polarized sunglasses eliminated falling snow from my vision.

When I related that experience to a non sailor of ours, she said,

"You're kidding, it snows over water too?"

Steve
She did have a point, sort of, in that it's not very common to encounter snow offshore down to sea level - I guess the low level air layer get warmed up by the ocean regardless of cold airmasses above, and any snow remelts on encountering it (unless the sea's frozen, in which case presumably you wouldn't be sailing on it !)

Were your "sailing in snow" experiences inland, inshore, or offshore?
Old 15-03-2013, 17:34   #124

Boat: Hans Christian 38 Telstar #123

You should check out Annie Hill's book Voyaging on a Small Income. It's great! You can cruise comfortable on not a lot of money. My first suggestion would be to stop looking at the cruising magazines!!! You'll think you need half a million to go cruising.

Check out our friend's blog. They're cruising Annie Hill style: Not all who wander....are lost: Pirates, Drugs and other hazards....

Go for it!!
Old 15-03-2013, 19:06   #125

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

Believe me when I tell ya this......you dont know discourage until you are out there on your own boat for the first time in the dark and the wind and waves are kicking your ass, and all you can do is hunker down! Thats some scary discouraging ****.....but if ya survive it and are willing to keep going, then more power to ya, and I truely wish ya well.

One thing to keep in mind, or was in my mind when I bought my boat. I am not going to spend more than I can walk away from without much pain, nor will I buy a piece of crap because its within my budget. You will have to look at alot of frogs before you find your own jewel. Be patience, but dont give up. I looked at alot of sailboats, all were frogs, till I found my jewel....and it aint perfect, but its close enough for me. Its no floating condo, but it is capable to take me anywhere I have the skill to go.
Old 15-03-2013, 20:54   #126

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
dream on.

We will.....oh....we will.
Old 16-03-2013, 02:35   #127

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Black oak said one thing mid paragraph that should not be brushed over. If you survive it.

I sail on a small lake. On my lake, year before last, two young men died when their fishing boat exploded when they went to start the engine. Last year, a whole crew nearly died when their 27 foot hunter was cut in two by a drunken power boater that did not see them, and hit them broadside at full power at fifty miles an hour.

Boats and water are unforgiving and merciless. They do not care if you are cold, tired, hungry, frightened, lost, injured, panicked, or desperate. The sea accepts all comers, ready or not, and she does not give second chances. The water is not your best friend, confident, lover or teacher. What she is, is ruthless, timeless, exacting, and ever watchful for you to slip, fall, fail, tumble, extend, or hesitate. When you do, she will play out her moves with certainty.

If you understand the risks, all of them, and you prepare for them, in time, what could be deadly, is manageable to a certain extent, but never without grave risk.
Old 16-03-2013, 10:42   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
She did have a point, sort of, in that it's not very common to encounter snow offshore down to sea level - I guess the low level air layer get warmed up by the ocean regardless of cold airmasses above, and any snow remelts on encountering it (unless the sea's frozen, in which case presumably you wouldn't be sailing on it !)

Were your "sailing in snow" experiences inland, inshore, or offshore?
Puget Sound, Washington State.
The first tack of the morning required using a pick to clean out ice from the winch sockets.

Steve
Old 17-03-2013, 15:11   #129

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Believe it or not it snows plenty over the ocean.Try sailing in British Columbia in January.Cold windy air,seawater below freezing(it's salty),complete whiteout.That's winter sailing up north,I wouldn't recomend it.
Old 28-03-2013, 01:57   #130

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Ficka '20

Just Go. I knew little about off shore sailing a year ago, but bought a solid boat - Flicka '20 - and sailed from Vancouver BC to Hilo solo last July. Nine days later sailed Hilo to San Diego. It's all good and you can do it, just untie and go.

Life is short. Regrets for things you've done can be healed with time. Regrets for those you've passed take a life time of healing.
Old 28-03-2013, 02:17   #131

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa

My advice, do it!!! We picked our 45 footer up for 35 grand and havent looked back. We have done some work on it in the last 3 years, but it still hasnt cost us over 50, and we have had people offering us 80 for it. Yes its a ferro, but has done a round the world with the previous owner so it has a very good history.

We are very comfortable on ours (me, my wife, 6yo son and new 4 month old girl) and are planning to head off in about 2 years.

We had and still do do have family and friends tell us we shouldnt be doing it, but when we ask them how happy they are paying a mortgage, they all go very quiet!!!

The only thing I can say is GO DO IT, add things as you can afford to as we have done and laugh about everyone that told you you couldnt do it when you send them photos of yourselves sitting in an awesome anchorage at sunset with a beer.

Good Luck
Old 28-03-2013, 02:17   #132

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa

and believe me, we are no where near rich hahaha
Old 28-03-2013, 05:21   #133

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
I recently found this article and thought it just might be some encouragement for you. You will probably see replies to follow that will show it isn't for everyone.

http://www.sailfeed.com/sailings-ser...-simple-stupid
Old 28-03-2013, 05:44   #134

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
If you understand the risks, all of them, and you prepare for them, in time, what could be deadly, is manageable to a certain extent, but never without grave risk.
Driving a car can be quite deadly, and you can't really manage the risk -- it's the other drivers...texting, talking on cell phones, eating, etc. Far less deadly cruising the oceans of the world.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 05:58   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
I think that for $20k, you can easily find a sailboat in the 28 to 32 foot range that will carry you safely across oceans. Don't listen to the naysayers!
Agreed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: