Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2013, 05:20   #76

Boat: Alberg 37
Re: Getting discouraged

I agree that you should look beyond YachtWorld...
such as:
AlbergBoatsForSale - Alberg30
Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale
Good Old Boat - Boats For Sale

Old 13-03-2013, 05:22   #77
Armchair Bucketeer

Can it be done? - YES!

Can you do it? - no idea!.....and nor do you or the naysayers!

It's all down to you and the choices you make - the compensator for a low budget is knowledge, the more you have of one the less you need of the other (although both is nice!).......what effort you put into gaining knowledge before writing cheques will be the big decider (between success and not), not only on boat purchase (and where) but how used / equipped.

The hard bit is that usually no "right" answers to learn, it's all about judgements and compromises - and some of those will involve taking a punt, but the less of the latter the better for increasing chances of success.

Whilst enthusiasm and a "can do" attitude are important (if not essential) they only get you so far - effort and some smarts into educating self also needed. The more the better (and cheaper!)........but nonetheless you will still have to accept that your learning curve will be more expensive than someone with more hands on knowledge / experiance of both boats and far flung voyaging - whether prohibitively expensive or not will be solely down to you, and that's a good thing .

The good news is that after a year (maybe less / maybe more) you will know a squillion percent more about both boats and what works for you - and that likely will mean life can be cheaper, whether it is becomes a choice for you.

Having a regular income (no matter how small!) in addition to whatever savings you have and / or money making you also do puts you ahead of the pack - if you can always at least put food on the table (if only beans and rice ) then everything else becomes only a "challenge" rather than a complete disaster...........

Anyway, keep us all on CF posted on progress - and don't be shy about going to Plan B, C or D if Plan A is not going as intended.........flexibility of choices is all part of the game.

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 06:24   #78

Well, you've gotten a lot of encouragement. By now I hope that you know that you CAN do it. It won't be easy, but it CAN be done.

One item is very important, though. You say you have a $20k budget. Is that total? Whatever you spend on the boat, I can pretty much guarantee you that you are going to find things that you need and/or want to change and/or upgrade. Where is the money for that going to come from?

What I'm saying is that, if your grand total budget for buying a boat and getting it ready for this voyage is $20k, then you should probably not spend more than $12k-$15k on the initial purchase. And even at that, you are going to have to be pretty handy at fixing things yourself. If your plan is to hire out any and all work that needs to be done on the boat, you don't have nearly enough money for that.

Which is another way of saying that it would be a good idea, if you don't have the skills already, to start learning as much as you can about fiberglass repair, diesel engine mechanics, boat electrical and plumbing systems, and so on. You are going to need to do a lot of that kind of work yourself.

Good luck.
Old 13-03-2013, 06:31   #79

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Mazatlan Marine usually has a big inventory of cheap sailboats. Might save you the long sail down there. . . .

Sailboat Listings | Mazatlan Marine Center
Old 13-03-2013, 06:36   #80
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
if you don't have the skills already, to start learning as much as you can about fiberglass repair, diesel engine mechanics, boat electrical and plumbing systems, and so on. You are going to need to do a lot of that kind of work yourself.
It has just occurred to me that what you have said is so obvious that it seems not worth mentioning - but only obvious when you know!

Whilst OP will be learning all those skills (to one degree or another) once the boat is bought (the low budget will require it), nonetheless the more known beforehand the better - if only to make sure you know what problems you are getting into, before you own them!............the cheapest / easiest way to manage large bills / lots of work is not to buy them! (or are reflected in price paid!).......but on a low budget you will have to buy some - just choose your problems carefully! and those which match own skill set the best.
Old 13-03-2013, 06:49   #81

Boat: trident voyager 38 ft Calaloo

Fatty Goodlander just completed a circumnavigation on a boat he
paid $3,000 for. plus a lot of sweat equity. I have friends that have
sailed all over the caribe and europe in an ontario 32. a small but
great little boat. study, learn, you can do it.
Old 13-03-2013, 07:07   #82

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
80 responded in a day, wOw!

Buying a sailboat, when you know pretty much nothing about sailboats, then striking out into open water will pretty much guarantee you a misery and all of us here entertainment, ( see the Blackoak Bermuda thread ).

Join a local sailing club, take lessons, help crew any chance you get, hang out on docks, learn, listen, and leave your money in the bank till you have a year or three on the docks, and you know what you want.

I purchased five boats in a year, because I did not know what I was doing, or exactly what I wanted. First sailboat was pretty good, but too small. Second boat was a day S I have never used, but it was give away priced, so I purchased it. Third was a power boat to experience more power. Used it twice. Forth was a trade for the first boat. This forth boat was junk, so all the money in the first boat was squandered. Fifth boat was the ticket. It was exactly what I wanted / needed, but by this time, my money was gone, so I borrowed the money to purchase this boat. My forth boat has some parts I am able to use for my fifth boat, so it was not a total loss.

Fools rush in.

This is a photo of the forth sailboat. Sailed it once. Should have named her the Spruce Goose. Listed to one side, no idea why, leaked at the keel, always wet in the bilge, inboard replaced with an outboard, which was too small and too short to bite the water properly. Interior was just plain wore out, everything was broken, or missing, or jurryrigged.

The first clue things were not going to go well for boat four, when I drove 1000 miles to his location to make the trade, he did not even look at my smaller boat, and the hot water heater in his ad, he had to unplumb from his garage, and hand it to me.

Sailboat five is wonderful. I sobered up by that time, and lined up my ducks before I purchased it. Got a survey for one thing, and by this time, I better knew what I wanted.

She is a 32 foot ketch, on a slip that has a restriction to 30 foot sailboats, in part because the lake is pretty small, you can see the whole lake, from anywhere on the lake. If I could have, I would have gone bigger, but she fits the circumstances.

Take your time, find the right sailboat the first time, and purchase her, after you figure out exactly what you want.

Remember, a 40 foot sailboat costs twice as much money to service, maintain and slip over the cost of a 30 foot sailboat.

This pretty picture, of sailboat four, is junk, and all the good intentions, sunsets and Photoshop will not make this sailboat worth anything.

Buyer Beware.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130313_075935.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	56877
Old 13-03-2013, 07:15   #83
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Getting discouraged

The only thing I can say is...
Back in the 90's I was 'creating' my Tiki 21 'KALI'.. and when it came time to paint her the nay-sawyers would come by, stop and start the head shaking.. "Tsk, Tsk... Black... tsk, tsk... never work.. look like *****.. blah, blah, blah"
Launch day it was "Wow.. great looking boat..." "love the paint job.." "Colour combo really works..."
The folk who wish they could but lack the balls always knock dreams and goals... no matter what the dream..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img042.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	56882   Click image for larger version

Name:	img046.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	56883  

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 07:27   #84

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

Hi Sarahjh22
I had also a dream and I went for! People told me as a foreigner without residence in the US I couldnīt own a boat in the USA. They told me you will not find a boat for 22k and you will not be able to sail to the South Pacific as a freshmen.
Here is what I did (only my one time experience, successful do)
I sit down and made a list of requirements and spoke to experienced sailors
I defined my search by Internet, I looked all over the world and found one in South Texas
I went there and inspected the boat and asked for expertise and made a contract with option for hidden damages
I took over the boatand started now to get it fit
Pricewise, the 22k was an initial payment, the gross amouint is now coming by fitting the boat. HF SSB, Life Raft, PLBīs, EPIRB, new security equipment, revision of the boat, Roller Furling, Check of Rigging, Motor check, Revision of holding tank and tank system More or less Iīm talking of additional 15k. So Iīd guess, whoever tells you, you wonīt find a boat for that price is right in terms, you have to look over a used boat, you make sure it will be safe and handy for what you will need.

Maybe see you somewhere at the South Pacific, where dreams become true..... regards SYSerenity
Old 13-03-2013, 07:28   #85
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
80 responded in a day, wOw!

Buying a sailboat, when you know pretty much nothing about sailboats, then striking out into open water will pretty much guarantee you a misery and all of us here entertainment, ( see the Blackoak Bermuda thread ).
Whilst I pretty much agree with you on the broad sentiment, nonetheless IMO the Blackoak adventure seems to have turned out well enuf - even if certainly never to be recomended and a chunk of luck involved, that mostly about finding "good people" and being able to learn from them (but that also mostly down to Blackoak himself - not pure luck).

Quote:
Join a local sailing club, take lessons, help crew any chance you get, hang out on docks, learn, listen, and leave your money in the bank till you have a year or three on the docks, and you know what you want.
That was pretty much the sort of thing I was after in my new thread (created as not personalised about anyone ) - as based on your experiance and with benefit of hindsight. 5 boats worth of hindsight in a year.........

Pretend you are a Newbie! - how would you start?
Old 13-03-2013, 09:13   #86

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Another idea I would like to put out for the OP is to try another approach. Keep your dream of sailing to Mexico. But if you are young and I think you might be, buy something like a Catalina 22 for a few thousand. Tons of them around for little money. Make sure it has a decent outboard and sails. Sail it for a season or two, sailing the San Juans. A few things will happen. You'll gain valuable sailing experience. You'll see if the life-style is really for you and after a few seasons, you will get all your money back and get to keep the fun experience.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 10:48   #87

After all the great feedback we are seriously considering revising our plan. Originally we were going to purchase in Seattle then move aboard and sail around here for the summer and get the boat outfitted to go South in early Sept. However we now think that we may just take the summer to charter, crew and sail with friends around PNW and then head to Mexico or Florida in the fall to purchase.

We're not too concerned with buying on the east coast as it is still the US but we'd welcome some advice on purchasing in Mexico. Can anyone advise on how to go about that? I would imagine there are things to consider when buying out of country. As our budget is small we'd assume that a private sale would be better than using a broker but how easy is that to do in Mexico? Also although we are devouring every word we can find on surveying, buying and sailing boats we are not really confidant in purchasing alone. Are there good reputible surveyors in Mexico we could use?
Old 13-03-2013, 10:52   #88

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Sarah, do take a look at the boat I posted. its just about ready to go and is in your budget, local and sailing the pants off it over the summer would be a great way to increase your skills and know what you have before taking off.

That being said, if you want to buy in Mexico it might be worth it to find some boat folks who are spending time cruising in Mexico to look at some boats for you. Because of your budget, brokers may or may not be really motivated to crawl over a bunch of boats for you. Sailors love looking at boats. Good luck with the search!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 10:53   #89

When you buy a boat in Mexico your best to deal with a broker unless you know exactly how to register the boat/ownership as an American
Old 13-03-2013, 11:13   #90

Boat: Alberg 37

End of summer is a great time to get a boat in the Great Lakes, and I'm surprised no one else seems to think that the lack of salt corrosion for a $10-20k boat (which will be at least 20 years old) isn't worth at least considering. The reason I harp on this is while searching for my own boat I looked in the GL region, DelMarVa, and FL. Boats in that price range in FL were rougher (anecdotal, my sample population was small); the sun and salt seemed to really beat these older boat's hardware into submission...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: