Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 20:34   #61

Re: Getting discouraged

for $20k it won't be easy. It comes down to one question only," How 'handy' and inventive are you two? You'll be needing to know what stays and what needs to be modified. And paying someone else to do the work won't work on a $20k budget. IF you're handy, do it. Otherwise it's a losing deal.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 21:01   #62

The advice to set a course 2 miles off shore is one of the more ludicrous ideas I have heard in a long time, but also there is a lot of bad advice on staying 15 or 25 or 60 miles off shore when most of the time the ocean is the ocean, and unless you are on the continental shelf or near enough for the venturi effect, it doesnt make any difference. Traffic does make a difference that should be paid attention to, but that can very greatly on where you are. There are many old salts tails on how far out to go around Point Conception, and most say many miles out, but I have passed it some 2 dozen times and never more than 10 miles out and often at a few miles, so that I could tuck into Cojo for the night. Conception is considered to be the Cape Horn of the west coast, but I have been beat up far more times at Point Sur, some 80 miles to the north , than I ever was at Conception. There are many different ways to go up or down the coast, and most are safe, just different. For up wind, I prefer to find a cove every other night and get a decent nights sleep, but downwind, life is easy, so go as far as the stamina allows._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 21:19   #63

Boat: Olson 34

From a slightly different view point, look at the boats entered in the Single Handed Transpac for 2012. All those boats traversed a lot of blue water and most made the return trip as well. They ranged in value from $9K to something near $1,000,000. The bulk of entrants were boats less than $50K in value and many under 28'.
A suggestion: a boat I have owned in the past and is really rugged but not a pig, a local SF Design, known fondly as a HawkFarm or Wylie 28. You could likely pick one up under or near $10k.
brianb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 21:28   #64

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

First thing! Be sure that the boat you buy is strong. I've been off shore in a fibre glass boat that you could feel hull flex in modest seas. It was not confidence inspiring. You don't want the rudder to fail when the wind is blowing toward a reef or rocky shore either.

I add a + to buying in the SE. I looked for 2 years to find the "right deal on the right boat in the Pacific NW" to no avail. I bought a trawler in Mex. and worked on it (averaged about 3 weeks a month) for 2 years. I will add that fixing a boat in Mexico that needs work/parts can be significantly more expensive and difficult than fixing a boat in the US. My Spanish is VERY weak and your average English/Spanish dictionary is fine for ordering dinner but falls short of translating carbon tetrachloride. Also they tend to call any 2 part adhesive epoxy so reading the can that your stuff was originally packaged in is useful. (It is often poured out of big pails into unmarked containers in the store.) On the other hand it was an experience that many of my friends have not had......And I met and became friends with some great people.

One other point to consider. If the budget is tight, be sure to check into the cost of going through the Panama Canal. It is NOT cheap.

Do it! Life is short. Eat dessert first!
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 21:38   #65

You guys are truly awesome, inspiring and really helpful! Our dream is renewed and refreshed with a whole lot more options, possibilities and considerations. We know this is a big venture but it's something we really really want and are determined to make it happen. We will seriously consider all the advice and will definitely look into possibly setting off to Florida or Mexico to buy.

Just to answer a question a few of you have asked out boat purchase budget is 15k-20k and assuming we can stay within that we will have an additional 15k-20k for living expenses and boat repair plus we will have a small income while we travel.
sarahjh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 21:39   #66

How small is your small income?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 21:42   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

http://boats.smartcarguide.com/listing/11145153/. Here''s a cheap Pearson 35. Add engine and go.

We lived for a year on todays equivalent of $5000 in French Polynesia. Stayed away from Papeete and got very tired of free lobster.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 22:08   #68

Boat: Balboa 27

I bought my balboa 27 in san carlos and am currently into about $4500 including boat price and upgrades/repairs. While certainly not a blue water boat it's perfect for the sea of cortez and down the west coast at least as far as zihua. I'd recommend keeping the actual boat purchase price under 10K, and can pretty much guarantee that the boat you're looking for is NOTgoing to be listed by any broker. The way you're going to find it is by walking the docks, looking at for sale signs and pretty much talking to everyone you meet (the more disreputable looking the better) and asking them if they know of any boats for sale.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 22:40   #69

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

think about this - the polynesians travelled throughout the pacific in open sailing canoes, The scandinavians probably travelled to America 1000 years ago in hand made open timber sailboats. Look at the tubs the english and portuguese travelled the world in 500 years ago. Now think about a modern sailboat - a smallish second hand one in your case - which do you think would be more seaworthy? David Lewis sailed across the atlantic in the first singlehanded transatlantic yacht race in little better than a modified trailer sailer (came third i think) and did a singlehanded voyage to antarctica and back in a poorly prepared small steel hulled yacht - he proved that its the resourcefulness of the sailor not the sophistication of the boat that enables people to cross the oceans. My boats have never let me down before my own weaknesses did. If you survive this first bit of discouragement you seem to have been getting, you're a step closer...but dont expect that to be the hardest part - you'll know what i mean if you get to know the ocean...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 22:46   #70

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
How small is your small income?
This is not just noseiness...many people under estimate the running costs of a sailboat. The maintenance of a sailboat can be very large, and can run up to or more than the value of the boat in a short time in some conditions.

A sailboat is a complex system of weak links - each weak link designed to protect the next, more expensive, weak link from breaking.

Each of these weak links degrades over time, so sooner or later the most expensive parts WILL eventually break - after many replacements of the less expensive parts.

After enough time and stress, the most expensive parts will fail.

The warning here is that in an older boat, even if all the visible parts are shiny and new and strong, there are hidden parts - chainplates, engine blocks, rudder posts, through fittings, certain parts of the hull - that may be on the brink of failure.

Even if that is not true, there is a lot of cost in keeping the vessel in running, safe condition. If you are very handy, creative, and careful you can limit the costs, but you cannot entirely avoid them.

If you have to constantly pay for workmen, retail parts, and new specialized tools then the costs can run to extremes.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 23:12   #71

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

It is way cheaper to fly to an exotic destination, then locally charter a boat for a week or 10 days. From economic stand point, unless you intend on sailing every week of the year, there is no incentive in owning a "money hole"...err a boat! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 00:10   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjh22 View Post
You guys are truly awesome, inspiring and really helpful! Our dream is renewed and refreshed with a whole lot more options, possibilities and considerations. We know this is a big venture but it's something we really really want and are determined to make it happen. We will seriously consider all the advice and will definitely look into possibly setting off to Florida or Mexico to buy.

Just to answer a question a few of you have asked out boat purchase budget is 15k-20k and assuming we can stay within that we will have an additional 15k-20k for living expenses and boat repair plus we will have a small income while we travel.
many people get caught out buying boats that are too big and costly to run.
under 10m(33ft) would be the max i would reccomend.

having a small income is a great start,many budget cruisers augment their income whilst cruising by doing deliveries,boat yard work,canvas repair,boat cleaning,working for dive schools,skippering and hostess on charter boats.

on trans ocean passages taking a couple of crew to share some of the expense will also make your cruising budget go further.

skills llike writing for travel and yachting magazines, or selling stock photos for photograpic agencies can also provide a boost to finances.

the main thing is to get out there and find out for yourself,but don't get caught out by buying a mill stone that is too big and requires costly repairs!

as can theraputic massage,reflexology,haircutting
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 01:03   #73

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

To hell with the nay-sayers. I would say Seattle and L.A. are the 2 most expensive places to buy boats on the west coast. In Halfmoon bay, there is a Westsail32 for $25K which was at $55K a year and a half ago. Ranger 32s can be had for $12K-$18K and many have made that trip. If your inexperienced, you can mostly day sail down the coast. Once south of the border, it's a cake walk.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 01:52   #74

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Your boat is out there somewhere its just a question of time and good luck in finding it.

Sunsail have an ex-charter Jeanneau 43 DS in the BVI's for sale. I have looked at in and it is a dog! It's been on the market for years and in my view you have got to be insane to consider it unless you can fix things yourself and rough it AND enjoy what you are doing! By that I mean re-work headliners, make new seat cushions, strip and rebuild an engine (although I suspect this is one part of this boat that always got attention).
If your DIY skill are poor it will cost you more than buying a good boat at the outset.

Don't get carried away by the pictures on the web site they make it look ten times better than it is. Phone them up and tell them what you are willing to pay. Word on the dock is that they despereatey want to get rid!!!

Don't, agree to go and visit until you have a clear understanding over price!

The BVI's are a good place to build you sailing skills too but they can also be very expensive.

Good Luck
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 03:54   #75

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Don't be discouraged, you can do this! Just take it one step at a time and get going.
Here's even a boat in your price range, in your neck of the woods that would suit- Moonrise is for Sale | Little Cunning Plan . Never met them, but we are friendly online and I know they have been taking care of the boat and getting her ready in case they don't find a new home and are not able to move up in boat so they end up cruising on what they have.

You can do this. Lots of people do this. When I feel overwhelmed I remind myself that there are people far stupider than I who are sailing the world just fine.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote