Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2013, 07:40   #136
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Getting discouraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
I think that for $20k, you can easily find a sailboat in the 28 to 32 foot range that will carry you safely across oceans. Don't listen to the naysayers!
I think the questions are more:-

a) whether "you" can find a sailboat to do that safely for $20k.

b) whether "you" want to head out for an extended voyage on that boat.

and only "your" answers count .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 08:40   #137

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Bam! Again sir.....nicely said.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 08:43   #138

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

It can be done with a reasonable amount of risk. (Everyone gets to define for themselves what amount of risk is reasonable.) It is important to remind yourselves that some boats are not strong enough to take the stresses that the ocean can impose and they should be avoided no matter how pretty or how good a deal you can get on them. I have been off shore in a boat that you could feel the hull flexing several inches with every passing wave. It is not a confidence inspiring feeling. Do your research, ask questions of folks that do not have skin in the sale, and go for it.

Tres X did it in a Pacific Seacraft Flicka (20 feet long). Now there is a boat you could go anywhere in. It is slow and too small for my wife and me. (42 years of marriage would not survive a month in that small a quarters. Just sayin'.) But at the end of the storm the boat would still be floating. You can't say that for many 30-40 foot coastal cruisers.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 10:16   #139

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

Do it. We did last year. Slightly larger boat but with two large dogs and we had a great time. Lots of people making it down on tiny boats and having fun too. If you have time, the weather always gets nicer.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 11:15   #140

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Check out www.atomvoyages.com

James Baldwin has some great ideas for fitting out a cruising boat. Ideas that are simple, seaworthy and low cost. He also posts a list of boats up to 32 feet that might fit the bill and the budget. Well worth a look.

Go for it!!!!! Don't get discouraged. Most people just probably cannot understand your motivations.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 08:39   #141

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Sarah, found this blog while researching Sea of Cortez destinations. These folks are very much like Brian and I, very focused on adventure with a budget that extends time between having to go back to work. I also thought of you and your husband. :-)
» Where Should We Start? Controlled Jibe

Hope all is well with you and I hope one day we will share a laugh together about how easy it was to get out there

Erika
Old 03-04-2013, 16:14   #142

Thanks for the heads up on the Controlled Jibe blog, it's been a great source of information and encouragement! Hopefully we're both out there living it instead of just reading about it soon!!
sarahjh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:59   #143

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

I agree with David about the "safely" part and the "only your answers count". The boats are out there, of course generally the lower the price the more work involved in restoration or refitting. Takes lots of patience and searching and networking to find the right boat for you, but it can definitely be done. Think as if you are buying a house. Foundation, roof, heating, plumbing and electricity. So hull, standing rigging, sails, engine, electrical and plumbing. All can be repaired or replaced at a cost. Just depends on what is your price point or limit. Many a soul has sailed oceans without many of the luxury items today's cruising sailors carry. Knowledge, skills and sound vessel are all that is needed.

My suggestion is take the time while searching for the right boat to improve skill sets that will allow you to do more with less. Whether it be a celestial navigation course, or an engine repair course! The more you are capable of handling with your skills, the less you will have to rely or outlay on services of others and the less you will need to carry in expensive extras. Stick to the basics and add as you find the need and have the capacity to do so. Good luck and safe sailing!
Old 04-04-2013, 19:55   #144

Boat: gemini 105

A lot of good stuff already...Skipmac right on..
I will tell you when you are ready... buy a cheap van pack it with what you need drive to Florida find a boat, sell the van and cut your teeth on the keys and trips to the bahamas into the caribe, Mexico (cheap to sail there) before hitting deep blue water. look at a morgan io 33 70s model is a easy to sail roomy boat going affordable. It took me a few broken boats and dreams before I finally got out there, I know a couple with a 12 yr old sailing the caribe now on a 27 footer they purchased for 12k, not the holiday inn but they are doing it! P.S. it really helps if you are a handyman
crazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 20:33   #145

Boat: William Garden CT 41 Ta Chaio

A quick quote from Lou and his Bsv. Think about the best thing that can happen, then think about the worst. If you can live with both, go ahead and do it.

Lou
BSV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09   #146

Boat: Pearson Triton 28

Hi all,
We found that we were able to keep our costs on a strong, seaworthy vessel under 15K. Granted, we have a small, simple vessel (1962 28' Pearson Triton) and didn't do any extensive offshore sailing, just in the Sea of Cortez. We have all of our refit and cruising costs on our website here: » The Cost of Cruising Controlled Jibe. (We need to update the last few months...coming soon!)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:19   #147

Re: Getting Discouraged

See. Next time, people will be telling you, "you can't do that, ... again."
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:22   #148

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Getting Discouraged

Many well thought out answers here,but have not read all of them. Yeah, "go for it,you are not getting younger" I agree,but you may not be getting any older either if you get over your head because by your own admission you" are pretty new to sailing".

It's not that it can't be done, because it has, but remember most of those that sailed off into the blue were extremely resourceful ,dedicated,young , fit and tough and comfortable around the water. They paid their dues and were rewarded with the adventure of your dreams.
Those that recommend getting your feet wet in local waters are suggesting a route that will generate the experience and knowledge you now lack and allow you to make informed decisions as to what is required to go further afield when ready. You are already in an area that will deliver a superlative cruising experience in the most humble of craft and prepare you for all you seek. I think it is a mistake to focus on the boat that will carry you into the sunset until you gain some realistic understanding as to what lies over the rainbow.
Yes it can be done,yes go now! But go local ,go in some throwaway craft while saving and your ultimate success will be assured by using all that you will learn in those waters that are lapping at your back door.
Best of Luck, I wish I were back there again.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:17   #149
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjh22 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Controlled Jibe blog, it's been a great source of information and encouragement! Hopefully we're both out there living it instead of just reading about it soon!!
Great website (also with a blog) - boat (Pearson Triton - 1962) currently for sale, USD12k (Mexico).

» S/V Selkie Controlled Jibe
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote