Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 19:25   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Getting A Boat Through the ICW with a 64+ Foot Mast

OK Guys, I have a tough one to solve
I have 64 foot mast with wind instruments and a VHF antenna atop it, which probably puts me at 65.5?
I need to be able to clear a number of 65 foot bridges and a couple of 64 foot clearances.
My thought is to use my RIB to hang out on the boom end to heal the boat enough to reduce the vertical height. It's a ten foot RIB which I could fill with water if needed to get the weight.
Do you think this is feaseable? In my earlier life as a millwright/rigger I moved, rigged and fit large heavy pieces in unlikely places, which is what you do with a hoisting license.
This is not a theoretical question, it's problem I need to find an answer to for obvious reasons.
Any suggestions are appreciated, especially from those who have had similar experience.
The boat is a 47 Cheoy Lee Pedrick, 6 foot draught, encapsulated modified fin keel, 64 foot mast height+. The boat weighed 40,000lb on the scale with tons of provisions on board and still floats above its waterline.
Doable or just a pipe dream on my part? We got off to a late start due to multiple issues outside the boating part of it and are now transiting south, I do not want to go outside at this time of year due to the short weather windows we've been experiencing this year.
All suggestions appreciated.
I also put this on the boat handling forum, since i need feedback sooner rather than later.
Thanks in Advance for the support, I've found that I've gotten good advice and a wide range of opinions on this forum, I've contributed on subjects I was versed in and kept my trap shut when I wasn't. I've found that the honest opinions expressed here tend to be experience based and accurate.
Also, I'm not a thin skinned, wilting flower, if you think I've got a screw loose, feel free to let me know that, it wouldn't be the first time to be told that.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Getting A Boat Through the ICW with a 64+ Foot Mast

If your sure about the height, real sure. I think you can get through without the dinghy by going at low tides.
However the dinghy trick ought to work, I assume you have a good, strong topping lift?

Note, I have never done this, it’s all theoretical on my part, but I have seen people use a dinghy partially filled with water to get off of a sand bar.
So far I haven’t had to.

Maybe lift with main Halyard and not the boom?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Getting A Boat Through the ICW with a 64+ Foot Mast

Spinnaker pole and halyard using 2 or 3 x 25litre water jugs would be better methinks.. also it could be easily swung in and out as you approach rather than mess about rigging and de-rigging the dinghy each time.
Once through just swing forward and lower onto f'csle ready for the next time.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Getting A Boat Through the ICW with a 64+ Foot Mast

The blue plastic 50 gl drums that used to contain fruit juice are sometimes easy to come by. I used to use them to carry fuel.
That would be probably 450 lbs?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:07   #5

What part of the ICW? My boat with 6.5 draft and 64.5 mast + whip antenna made it down the ICW from N Carolina to Miami with no heeling the boat.. You cant get through Miami though. The little whip VHF antenna pinged the girders a few times. Buy towing insurance with your draft, well worth it. You must buy the one like the Gold Plan or Platinum? plan otherwise it's worthless.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:47   #6

Take the mast down and carry in stands on deck, like we do when transitting the New York Canal system to the Great Lakes, then re-step mast when you get to a place where mast height is no longer an issue. You will be motoring down the ICW anyway, hardly any opportunity to do anything more than motorsailing.

A good friend with a boat with similar height mast did careful tidal and height calculations and managed OK on the ICW until a powerboat wake lifted the boat just as he was going under a marginal height bridge. He had thousands of dollars worth of damage to his masthead lights, antennaes, instruments, masthead crane, etc.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:53   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I feel the idea is crazy and you better really check your insurance policy.

If you don’t believe you can make it under the bridges you shouldn’t go down the ICW. This isn’t the same as heeling to make it under 1 lone bridge, this is a whole series of bridges. It’s as simple as that.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:53   #8

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

I carry a bamboo fishing pole that is rigged to a Spinnaker halyard.
When it is all the way up it sticks out 3' in front of the mast, 1' taller than my instruments.

I approach close clearance bridges dead slow with a watch in front of the mast looking for bamboo contact with anything.

Sometimes we must back down and heal over, but most bridges have more clearance than published.
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:00   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

easy peasy
Old 03-12-2018, 09:05   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

What you propose is doable and in fact is done on a regular basis in spots. BUT, winds and tides can sometimes significantly reduce bridge clearance (for example, strong winds blowing into a river mouth or entrance to a bay or sound).

Also, I would want to be very, very careful about the strength and direction of any currents when attempting this as it could effect your ability to bail out if needed.

And there's the issue someone noted about other traffic, wakes, etc. So doable but not without a good bit of risk.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:06   #11
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

There was a video (think here) a few weeks ago of exactly what you want to do. Quite a large sailboat going under a very big bridge with water barrels slung off to the side. Showed him going through just fine.
Seems like the penalty for not thinking of something or outside influence could be pretty severe (above mentioned wake).
Nice water outside.
TT
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:14   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
OK Guys, I have a tough one to solve

I have 64 foot mast with wind instruments and a VHF antenna atop it, which probably puts me at 65.5?

I need to be able to clear a number of 65 foot bridges and a couple of 64 foot clearances.

My thought is to use my RIB to hang out on the boom end to heal the boat enough to reduce the vertical height. It's a ten foot RIB which I could fill with water if needed to get the weight.

Do you think this is feaseable? In my earlier life as a millwright/rigger I moved, rigged and fit large heavy pieces in unlikely places, which is what you do with a hoisting license.

This is not a theoretical question, it's problem I need to find an answer to for obvious reasons.

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially from those who have had similar experience.

The boat is a 47 Cheoy Lee Pedrick, 6 foot draught, encapsulated modified fin keel, 64 foot mast height+. The boat weighed 40,000lb on the scale with tons of provisions on board and still floats above its waterline.

Doable or just a pipe dream on my part? We got off to a late start due to multiple issues outside the boating part of it and are now transiting south, I do not want to go outside at this time of year due to the short weather windows we've been experiencing this year.

All suggestions appreciated.

I also put this on the boat handling forum, since i need feedback sooner rather than later.

Thanks in Advance for the support, I've found that I've gotten good advice and a wide range of opinions on this forum, I've contributed on subjects I was versed in and kept my trap shut when I wasn't. I've found that the honest opinions expressed here tend to be experience based and accurate.

Also, I'm not a thin skinned, wilting flower, if you think I've got a screw loose, feel free to let me know that, it wouldn't be the first time to be told that.

The problem is that with your draft waiting for the low tide to clear the bridge makes getting over the shallow spots difficult. I have the same problem with 63.5” mast and 6 ft draft. There are certainly bridges you can go under but when I try to go much distance I find the tides stop me so it takes a long time. The good thing is that with a boat this size outside is easy and the wait for weather is usually much less then the wait for the right tidal flows.
Your idea of leaning the boat over is not very practical for many bridges with narrow channels and strong currents. One of two bridges I can see but I certainly wouldn’t consider it for a long passage.
My wife can’t stand all the radio traffic that goes with the waterway anyway so we have to go offshore. :-)

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:25   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

If you are sure your height from the waterline is 64’ then you will experience some anxiety for sure. Forget about the antenna because its going to flex. Look on line for the specs for your light and wind instrument dimensions. If more than a foot You should consider unbolting and taping them to the mast. That will lesson the anxiety. Those are what you are risking if the depth board says 65’. (Not all boards are accurate. Some have sunk a bit. Refer to Active Captain in advance).

Watch the boards at each bridge usually found on the starboard side. Use those binocs in advance. Also look out for conditions like wind blowing the water which can cause elevation changes under some conditions. Recent rain can make a big change.

Tides are small in many places. Most of the time not much more than a foot, especially in places like Daytona Beach where you go under 3 bridges.

You are probably not going to have much time or room to rig a dinghy as you describe. Traffic in both directios will be an issue. Go slow but dont expect to be able to stop and check. You just cant get any depth perception looking up at the last minute.

My mast height is 64 and I have a tricolor and wind instruments like you. I made it without removing anything but it caused me real anxiety. But it can be done if you Watch the boards. If you can rig a heeling device other than a dinghy go for it. But its going to take some serious weight. Good luck.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:27   #14

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Just because I'm a bit OCD, you do mean the height of your mast is off the water, correct? A fellow on the multihull forum a few years ago quoted the length of his mast, but didn't add the freeboard from the water to the deck!

As for it working, I've seen several monos do so, but with little or no oncoming traffic, which makes everybody nervous. Obviously, go slow.

Good luck!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:34   #15

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Here you go! It looks like he is single handing it too!

ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, icw, mast