Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 11:30   #1

Gecco Marine/Swan 38- Know anything about it?

Hey folks,
I see there is a Gecco Marine 38 on the market. Apparently this was built by a group of folks who branched off from swan in the mid 80s. Apparently built on swan hulls that were sold to said group.

Anybody know anything about these boats? Anybody owned one? Looks like a swan 38 in the pics, but what about quality of build?

Thanks for any info.
moana62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 15:29   #2

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33
Re: Gecco Marine/Swan 38- Know anything about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moana62 View Post
Hey folks,
I see there is a Gecco Marine 38 on the market. Apparently this was built by a group of folks who branched off from swan in the mid 80s. Apparently built on swan hulls that were sold to said group.

Anybody know anything about these boats? Anybody owned one? Looks like a swan 38 in the pics, but what about quality of build?

Thanks for any info.
I think the last Swan 38 was built in 1979.

rb
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 07:19   #3

Yes, we own one, about 40 built as far as I know.
Swan hull and same layout inside,quality of build as good as a swan and sails like a dream
gecco 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 23:35   #4

Boat: Nautor's Swan 431

Sorry to disappoint You but the Gecco 39 has absolutely nothing to do with Nautor's Swan. It is just a swedish copy of the real thing (You surely know that Nautor is a finnish company). The hull form is totally different from a Swan 38 when looked at closely. If interested, there's a discussion of it at the classicswan.org where the Professor (a former employee of Nautor) explains it's history in deep.

Anyway, not being a Swan doesn't make it a bad Yacht!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ihe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 03:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, moana, and gecco.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 06:07   #6
IOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecco 39 View Post
Yes, we own one, about 40 built as far as I know.
Swan hull and same layout inside,quality of build as good as a swan and sails like a dream
I am currently looking at a Gecco 39 and would be interested in any info you may have on these boats. If you are able to help, please get in contact here. Thanks
IOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 07:16   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

People I knew had one and sold it. A Swedish couple. You may be shopping on their boat now!

The hull is indeed similar to a Swan and must come from the same era and possibly the same board too. The layout and rigging are dated. Access to dow below is difficult and the interior is dark. The deck was screw mounted teak and leaky. There were some rudder problems (which I interpreted as old and worn bearings).

The cockpit was not comfortable.

Their boat was not particularly nice to sail downwind but sailed very well upwind. However, it took a major size genoa to pull her to good clip. Maybe the boat was too loaded. Systems looked dated. In line with boats build back then and not upgraded since.

They bought in Sweden and sold when returning from the West Indies.

Generally, I think, a Swan like boat with Swan like benefits and cons. Good buy given their low market askings. Not sure why the askings are this low though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 08:59   #8

I just bough a 1983 Gecco 39 from Dana Point a few months back. Saiedl it to Mosslanding. The boat sail well. Got some old non working navigation electronic (Danavigate 7000) that needs replacing. The boat seems to be build well.
Charles
guggech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 10:19   #9

Boat: Hudson Force 50

I have a Gecco 39 I purchased at the end of 11, it sails well, good quality, mine was set up as a racer with 11 winches, huge three speed primary and secondaries, I have replaced a bunch of things: Cabin Sole, Quarterberth fuel tank (80+gall), electrical panel and wiring, cockpit teak, cold box-refridgeration, those were the heavy lifting so far. Still needed: Decks and cabin top need teak removal and non skid as teak would cost more than the boat is worth..all the windows need re-bedding, and I would like to replace the rod rigging at some point. It is looking new but I know it has to be about 15 years old and there is no way to tell the condition of rod. My biggest issues with the boat are as follows: (1) No way to effect a dodger, (2) about vertical companionway, (3) 5'9 - 5'11 berths. As such those items have me questioning weather I should stay with her or sell and get a boat that is dodger capable, non vertical, and longer berths... She sails so well, she looks so pretty and is the bell of the ball in every anchorage we drop our hook.
svIkani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 19:20   #10

Boat: Gecco 39

I have owned a 1982 Gecco 39 since 2000. I sailed it from Bellingham WA to Hawaii and back, to Ketchikan and back, down the west coast to and through the Panama canal and up to Florida and most recently back to Mexico. It is very seaworthy and a quality build. I have added many upgrades, removed the teak deck and re-fiberglassed the deck. Move the traveler forward of the main hatch to allow a folding dodger of my own design that has worked even better than expected. The two cabin interior suits me very well. I replaced the Volvo MD19C with a Betamarine 38 which was a remarkable easy install. The cockpit is small. The arch I put on the stern was a great addition though expensive, $12,000 US. Every boat has it's merits and demerits but I am very happy with my Gecco 39.
Bellinghamsailo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine