Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 17:38   #61

Re: Galley Counter Top

I have a 20-yo Catana with what I believe is the original tile. It would appear that tile is durable
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 17:57   #62
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Corian is non-porous, and therefore suitable in such environments as laboratories and hospitals. It can be repaired easily by sanding, even if it is smeared with 5200 (don't ask how I know.) An orbital sander takes out scratches easily.

Let's see: it's durable, lightweight, stain resistent, reparable, doesn't rust, doesn't rot, and can be thermoformed. Comes in 100 colors. Oh, and because it consists of an acrylic polymer mixed with alumina trihydrate, it's highly fire resistant.

And since it comes with color-matched two-part epoxy, a skilled craftsman can make the seams disappear.

Too nice for a boat galley? Not mine.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:42   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok now i have weight to add to my boat, as it i way too light--lol ever since they took off the teak decking, many years before i bought her--so i think i can mebbe use granite--i need weight in that space, anyway, as i will be removing some, i need to add a lil more for balance to offset the weight of the batteries on opposing side, plus the weight of the fridge to be.....will work out well, i think.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:55   #64

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
It really works
Getting A Stain Out Of Your Granite Counter Is Actually Easier Than You Think | Young House Love

I sell houses for a living amd rehab investment properties. I'm not just making this up. Promise
I never would have thought it, but left overnight under saran wrap the stain is gone.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 15:56   #65
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

glad you like it--take mine--i appreciate decent materials, and formica isnt it.
glad you can find saran wrap. that trick didnt work in my mommas home--lol.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 16:11   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Gee folks ! I thought we were taking about GALLEYS, not home kitchens! Granite, and all that stuff is great in your house ! But this is a sea going galley! It either should be a fine wood as wolfenzee has, or Stainless Steel as others have said ! Now thats just my thoughts, and they don't amount to much. But if ya want to go to sea in a house thats ok with me ! But I prefer to go with a little more traditional style! cus theres a reason boats have had these type of countertops for years ! They LAST and ya can slam your hot pots and pans right on it from your stove without worry !! Just sayin theres a reason these mateials have been in use for a long time !! Just my 2 cents again LOL
I dont know..... marble and granite just seem like going a bit too far on a boat to me... mostly just due to weight I guess.... I wanted to put corian in one boat, but was advised by an installer that 1/2" was not thick enough and no part could overhang as it's very fragile. and I also saw the episode of "this old house" where the installer broke a corian counter on installation! It is nice to have something you can set a hot pan on... so Tile went on one boat of mine, but any of the stone products or SS would be fine also....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 13:34   #67
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Cumaru is a heavy wood (69lbs/cf or 5.75lbs/bf), my counter is 16sf and 3/4 thick and self supporting so my entire counter weighs less than my cutting board (28"x20"x3" birch and apitung).
Old 06-10-2012, 14:17   #68
Eternal Member

When I dropped the cutting board on the dock the corner left a dent in the dock over 1" deep and didn't damage the cutting board in any way...not even a scratch.
Old 06-10-2012, 15:11   #69

Boat: 40 ft Cheoy Lee S/V Sun Chaser

We are currently re-doing our galley. As I mentioned before when we re-did the galley on our previous boat I wanted tile. My husband was opposed because of the reasons mentioned in some posts i.e. tile breaking etc. We sailed over 10,000 miles in our boat, sometimes in pretty rough seas and we had 1 tile break. After discussing this with boat re-fitters we have decided to use Silestone. This is mainly because the size and shape don't lend itself to tile and it's what I lhave in my home.
I agree with Boatsail that it's just a matter of what you're comfortable with. I don't believe that the weight of a small counter top will make much difference in terms of adding ballast to one side of the boat.
When the project is finished I will provide pictures. Boatsail is doing his/her counter in granite I believe and he/she said he/she will also post pictures. I would love to see what others have done as well.
I'm guessing if Columbus could have had a GPS, a fridge with ice, and a granite or Silestone countertop he'd still be looking for his intended destination ;-}
Sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 16:54   #70

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
galley
Whatever counter top material I would ever choose would be one that could have a sink that is flush with the counter like yours.

I absolutley hate standard sinks set into a hole in the counter top.

Like all over my house.
Old 10-10-2012, 19:28   #71
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy

Whatever counter top material I would ever choose would be one that could have a sink that is flush with the counter like yours.

I absolutley hate standard sinks set into a hole in the counter top.

Like all over my house.
I have a piece couter flush withe rest that covers the sink counter hangs over edge of sink with cutting block on one side
Old 10-10-2012, 20:13   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

OK, who has actually SEEN a carbon fiber counter top. NOW you have my interest...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 20:56   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

REALLY? Can I have that hour of my life back?

Seriously, we're now looking at doing our counters in CARBON FIBER, after that prior post. Here's some photos:

Kansas City Pontiac Motorsports Club - Mission: carbon fiber counter top (lots of pics)

And a source for the product:

Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc.

Taking our existing laminate counters, tearing up the laminate, and replacing it with a carbon cloth with a Kleer Kote top (crystal clear bar top finish) sounds VERY interesting. Mamma is actually interested...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11   #74

We are going to replace this year with Granite Transformations. Lighter than regular granite, and no maintenance.
Boatdrinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23   #75

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Carbon fiber counter top? What do you think is on top of the carbon fiber and epoxy binder? A clear finish, probably linear polyurethane. How do you think that holds up to hot cookware, sharp knife edges and abrasive cleaners? Unless, of course, it's just for that showroom finish that doesn't have to last longer than a sale to the fashion-conscious sailor.

Does anyone have the specs on material density of all these options? I'd like an option to Formica that doesn't add fifty pounds (or more) of useless weight to my multihull.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley