Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-03-2013, 09:55   #76

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Galley Counter Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I wanted to put corian in one boat, but was advised by an installer that 1/2" was not thick enough and no part could overhang as it's very fragile.
I just saw this older post. FWIW Corian 1/2" (12mm)is standard for counters. It used to be 3/4" but not anymore. I've also seen it done in 1/4" although this is not the norm. I can't remember the exact installation details on that one. For overhangs you just build it up and/or support it. It is heavy regardless of thickness. I am a contractor, builder, carpenter, cabinet builder, etc so I've seen lots of installs. Hundreds.
http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces/en_U...ion_Corian.pdf

Old 03-03-2013, 10:12   #77

Boat: Switch 51
Hey Wolfenzee, how about some pics of the sink installation? Also, what do you do to avoid liquids and crumbs getting in the seams?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:29   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

I used 1/2" Corian when I mounted in a new sink. It's good stuff. It machines like a hardwood, but is not flexible. So, it does need good support. I would say edges could over hang up to 3/4" w/o worry. A scrap piece about 2" wide, I took and I broke it over my knee just to see how strong it was. It took a couple hits and I was satisfied with it's strength.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0270.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	56067   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0274.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	56068  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0443.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	56069  

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05   #79
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The varnished cumaoo has a nice warm feel to it. IKEA used to have 3'x6'x1" butcher block table tops, just add legs.....or cut out to make a counter top. If I had remembered that I would have gone that route. I though of tile, but figured when I drop something not only is it more likely to break I migtht break twice (counter and what ever I drop). Carbon fiber and/or some other synthetic counter top would be fine for a "synthetic boat" (a polite way of saying plastic boat)....but my old girl is a classic design wooden boat.
The Galley (or any kitchen) is a very important place, it should be functional, efficient and above all reflect the personality of the person that uses it most.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18   #80

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

BTW you can buy solid maple or oak butcher block counter tops for about $30 a sq. ft. The nice thing is you can order sizes to 6" increments in length. Cut it with a saw and you can install today. It is heavy and solid wood. Boos is an old US company. There are others.
John Boos | Online Store
Old 04-03-2013, 12:27   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Does anyone have the specs on material density of all these options? I'd like an option to Formica that doesn't add fifty pounds (or more) of useless weight to my multihull.
I'm with Roy here. As best I can tell, the only (sort of) light things out there seem to be stainless or Formica. That said, Formica isn't the same stuff that we grew up with, apparently.

I do have a bamboo cutting board that's fairly thin (1/4?), and I'm thinking of going with some of that if I can find
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36   #82
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

of the dozen or so types of wood I use cumaroo is the only one I know the density of, 69lb/cuft....which translates to 4lb/sqft. Carbon fiber is light, but then you have to add what ever you mount it to and supporting framework (tougue and groove cumaroo doesn't require a support under it).
If wieght is that critical, maybe you should pull out all the bunks and install hamocks.
Yes me new galley top and cutting board added alot of wieght....but have to take into consideration the wieght of what was there before (formica on 1/2" plywood with framework)......most importantly the old galley was very ineffiecient and difficult to use (not to mention light blue formica w/gold flecks and chrome boarder was down right ugly)
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51   #83

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

As we are in the middle of refitting a boat, we've had these same discussions. We are looking at refinishing the galley and head countertops with this stuff:

ArmorGranite: Bath & Kitchen Stone-Look Epoxy Coating Systems, ArmorGranite Epoxies | Armor Poxy

Has anyone used this type of product? Our original counter tops aren't structurally trashed, but the old formica is stained and "tired."

We were originally thinking of formica, but thought this might be easier.

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy

Follow the adventure at S/V Octopussy
Old 04-03-2013, 13:54   #84

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
As we are in the middle of refitting a boat, we've had these same discussions. We are looking at refinishing the galley and head countertops with this stuff:

ArmorGranite: Bath & Kitchen Stone-Look Epoxy Coating Systems, ArmorGranite Epoxies | Armor Poxy

Has anyone used this type of product? Our original counter tops aren't structurally trashed, but the old formica is stained and "tired."

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy

We have bought the Rust-Oleum version of that. We have not applied it yet, because we will have to be off the boat while it cures/dries and just haven't been able to so that yet. We have high hopes for it though. Our counter curves up into the wall cabinet, making nearly impossible for the typical countertop replacement -- and this is from two architects who are normally really good at finding solutions to tough problems! We are thinking we won't get it done until June at this point.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 14:02   #85

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

SmartMove,

Thanks for the reply! We have high hopes for this product as well. If you think of it, PM me on the forum and let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

S/V Octopussy
Old 04-03-2013, 14:42   #86

Boat: Hunter 340
Send a message via AIM to bgallinger

I have Corian in the galley and head. LOVE the stuff. My boat was built in '98 and the counter tops look brand new.
Old 04-03-2013, 15:00   #87

Not sure about the others, but the Trend Stone from Granite Transformations is below:

ASTM Test Test Description Trend Stone
ASTMC 373-88 (94) Water Absorption Less than 0.2%
ASTMC 484-86 (93) Thermal Shock Resistance No evidence of any failure or damage
ASTMC 256-93a Pendulum Impact Resistance (J/M) is 7.4 + 0.5
ASTMC 648-84 (94) Breaking Strength M.O.R 49.4 + 2.5 Mpa*
ASTMC 790M-93 Flexural Strength Mpa 28.1*
ASTMC 1028-96 Friction Coefficient Dry test 0.91Wet test 0.63
ASTMC 1712-89 Sulphide Staining No evidence of any staining or discoloration
ASTMC 696-1 Linear Thermal Expansion No unusual behavior observed in expansion or contraction
ASTMC 1243-93 Resistance to Deep Abrasive Wear 102.7 + 9.2
DIN 51961-63 Resistance to Cigarette Embers All stains disappeared
Old 04-03-2013, 16:18   #88

Quote:
SmartMove,

Thanks for the reply! We have high hopes for this product as well. If you think of it, PM me on the forum and let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

S/V Octopussy
Will do.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 04-03-2013, 16:23   #89

Boat: Watkins 29'
Quote:

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy

Yes I think I'm going to give this stuff a try as well. It does look promising and I'm very familiar with epoxy products to begin with so for me it's a no brainer... Probably won't get to it until early summer.
Old 04-03-2013, 20:15   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post

Yes I think I'm going to give this stuff a try as well. It does look promising and I'm very familiar with epoxy products to begin with so for me it's a no brainer... Probably won't get to it until early summer.
If you get there before us, please let us know what you think and how it went.

Thanks,
Robyn

Tags
galley

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: