Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 07:35   #1

Boat: 1969 MORGAN 30
Fully Laden Displacement Weight of your Vessel

Hello Morganites,

I own a 1969 M-30. Does any one know what the fully laden displacement weight of this boat is?

TIA

BILL
ESPA
1969 MORGAN 30
smoothsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 08:19   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: fully laden displacement weight of your vessel

Doesn't that implicitly depend on what you've fully laden?

Boats are usually weighed in a different manner than their displacement is calculated. Don't even get started on "Thames measurement". You weigh a boat in the slings, crudely (within 500 pounds, say). You calculate the displacement either by doing a back of the envelope calculation of the volume of the hull form, or by putting a 12 x 6 x 40 foot hull into a 15 x 10 x 45 foot box with enough water to float it...and then seeing how far the water goes up the wall. Taking a bath is you displacing water in a tub.

Guess what? The displacement is different in fresh and salt water and warm and cold water. Look up "Plimsoll line" for further partings of the curtain of mystery, although the short version is that is what all the numbered dashes on the bows of freighters mean: "load to here and no further in these conditions". Weight's not the issue. It's volume and the effects of the water on the buoyancy of the ship. You could tie a truck to the deck of your Morgan in the Dead Sea and creep quite cheerfully without decks awash. Try it in the Great Lakes, and you're an amusing artificial reef.

Boats are often weighed at "empty", "light" and "laden" points. "Empty" is empty tankage and as close to no gear as is possible. "Light" is, say, half tanks and "normal" safety gear, like an inshore or coastal cruiser would have, and "laden" would be "full tanks, twenty cases of beer, six month's of food, all my dive gear, a compressor, eight 4D batteries, 500 pounds of chain and six anchors."

That's when you get to see if the waterline stripe has any bearing on reality.

Hope this has helped. Like "how long is a piece of rope", it's not a straightforward subject.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 08:57   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Here:

MORGAN 30-1/300 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

I hope it it is your boat. I assume this is light condition. It may include fuel, water and (less likely) anchor rode.

Some boat lifts will tell you how heavy the boat actually is when you are lifted.

In long term, offshore, out of bonds cruising aspect, we loaded up to 20% of our boat's light displacement. But we do not recommend this. A bigger, less loaded boat will sail better and safer.

No boat likes to be overloaded.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:01   #4

Boat: 1969 MORGAN 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Here:

MORGAN 30-1/300 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

I hope it it is your boat. I assume this is light condition. It may include fuel, water and (less likely) anchor rode.

Some boat lifts will tell you how heavy the boat actually is when you are lifted.

In long term, offshore, out of bonds cruising aspect, we loaded up to 20% of our boat's light displacement. But we do not recommend this. A bigger, less loaded boat will sail better and safer.

No boat likes to be overloaded.

b.
b

Barnakiel,

Thats ESPA.

Exactly what I needed. She is lightly laden, full fuel and water tanks with min. gear and sails.

THANKS

Bill
smoothsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement, morgan