Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2017, 11:50   #256

Boat: Tartan 40
Full keel vs fin keel for offshore?

Forget this post: my app is somehow not showing 1/2 of what I type.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 13:10   #257

Boat: Grampian, 23
Re: Full keel vs fin keel for offshore?

Thanks for the advice on that. I'll refrain from too large of a raft. I think a 4 man is sufficient and I believe the one I looked at had the bags underneath.

I know a lot of people said watermakers are overpriced and barely used. I'm still planning on taking a manual Katydin. I'll definitely utilize catching rain water but no such thing as being too prepared.
Tidjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 13:17   #258

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
one word. Watermaker. The crew is your responsibility as the captain . You ran low on water poor planning I would say.
You don't need a watermaker for day-sails on Chesapeake.

He's a troll - always trying to change the subject
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 13:27   #259

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
He's a troll - always trying to change the subject
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment"

However, making statements which appear to be facts when they are nothing of the sort needs to be challenged less someone with less experience takes the statement to be true and the ways things are done. To imply that the majority of cruisers don't carry a life raft gives the impression that people make offshore passages without one.

You only see canister rafts on yachts, very few valise yet they are very popular and stored out of harms way and light fingers as ours is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
You don't need a watermaker for day-sails on Chesapeake.
You don't need a life raft either, but then day sailing, racing or even a spot of fishing probably isn't what most folk would consider cruising. Therefore a well prepared grab bag would probably do on the Chesapeake, oh and some good fire extinguishers on board too, just in case.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 13:28   #260

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidjian View Post
Thanks for the advice on that. I'll refrain from too large of a raft. I think a 4 man is sufficient and I believe the one I looked at had the bags underneath.

I know a lot of people said watermakers are overpriced and barely used. I'm still planning on taking a manual Katydin. I'll definitely utilize catching rain water but no such thing as being too prepared.
I left from Ventura to come back to Australia 4 years ago and bought a manual watermaker off a guy there who has 200 of them. Bought them at an auction. He sells them for about $100 each. I might have his contact number still. If you're interested I should be able to dig it up. We tested it before we left and used every day to make some water for coffee to make sure it was working. Takes about 20 mins to make enough for 2 people...... and it's a good work out too !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 13:31   #261
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidjian View Post
Some folks get a lot of use out of their watermaker, but for a solo voyage I think you will have pretty good control of your water use.

Use sea water for washing, and a tiny bit of fresh for rinsing. Cook pasta in a seawater / fresh blend. You can find plenty of suggestions, especially in the older (pre-watermaker) cruising books. Do look at the Ocean Racing requirements that Evans posted. These will talk about redundant water storage. Tanks and hoses will leak and valves will fail.

I've been communications boat (while also racing) for a few Pacific Cup races, and during most every race I would hear from a boat that lost half of their water when something sprung a leak. (Yes, if you use your sealed "emergency water" you will be disqualified. But you won't die, so there's that.)
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 14:09   #262
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I left from Ventura to come back to Australia 4 years ago and bought a manual watermaker off a guy there who has 200 of them. Bought them at an auction. He sells them for about $100 each. I might have his contact number still. If you're interested I should be able to dig it up. We tested it before we left and used every day to make some water for coffee to make sure it was working. Takes about 20 mins to make enough for 2 people...... and it's a good work out too !!!
the survivor35 is usually available on eBay for about 200 to 300 bucks. I got one for a hundred ( you watch close you can find great deals) .
Old 16-12-2017, 14:30   #263

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
the survivor35 is usually available on eBay for about 200 to 300 bucks. I got one for a hundred ( you watch close you can find great deals) .
The ones that he has are the same. But new. Seemed to work well and you keep fit. You get to know the true value of fresh water !!!
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 14:54   #264

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
To imply that the majority of cruisers don't carry a life raft gives the impression that people make offshore passages without one.
I can't speak of the majority, for I don't have access to that data. But Pete, there are cruisers who make offshore passages without a liferaft. For instance, there's us, the infamous Insatiables, who have made quite a few offshore passages, and who have never owned a raft. And IIRC, there's Evans and Beth who elected to not carry one, and they have been known to go offshore as well. And there are a few of our cruising acquaintances who similarly don't carry one.

I agree that many, likely the majority do carry them, but surely not all.

Jim
Old 16-12-2017, 14:58   #265
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Full keel vs fin keel for offshore?

I prefer a slat bottom inflatable personally.. also own a manual watermaker..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 15:28   #266

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
For instance, there's us, the infamous Insatiables, who have made quite a few offshore passages, and who have never owned a raft.
Now you do surprise me. Do you carry a hard dinghy or inflated inflatable instead?

My sentence should have had the word "many" in it which alters the meaning and makes better sense.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 15:57   #267

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment"

However, making statements which appear to be facts when they are nothing of the sort needs to be challenged less someone with less experience takes the statement to be true and the ways things are done. To imply that the majority of cruisers don't carry a life raft gives the impression that people make offshore passages without one.

You only see canister rafts on yachts, very few valise yet they are very popular and stored out of harms way and light fingers as ours is.

You don't need a life raft either, but then day sailing, racing or even a spot of fishing probably isn't what most folk would consider cruising. Therefore a well prepared grab bag would probably do on the Chesapeake, oh and some good fire extinguishers on board too, just in case.

Pete
They sure do. I hope the OP understands that.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 16:01   #268

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I'll take 2 at $100/each. It gets mighty dry out on the Chesapeake.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 17:32   #269

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

BTW on the life raft issue, not sure if anyone mentioned it, but one can rent a life raft too if you know you won't need it once you get there: I confess I don't know the rates though:
https://www.boatus.org/equipment/life-rafts/
Life Raft Rentals
Sea Safety International | A leader in Marine Safety since 1981
Life Raft Rental for leisure or commercial use-Â* liferafts are USCG Approved - Avalon Rafts
If you know you'll be in cold water, you might give some thought to a survival suit, immersion suit or exposure suit (different names for the same thing) too. I have seen them on eBay from around $70 to $300. I used to have a military surplus one I carried for years (and tried out often but never needed it) until the cuffs finally gave up the ghost. Waterproof zipper stayed good though. You could also check drysuits or exposure suits. Dry suits are more pricey but you might find a good used one. The age of the rubber is the key, as the fine edges of the waterproof cuffs will show deterioration first, and that's where you need the rubber seal to be of course. Here is just one survival suit example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Imm...-/162797359014

and a drysuit example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ERO-Mens-Ko...UAAOSwB4BaLZUj
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 21:07   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
The Capri does well in up to about 35 kts with double reefed main and storm jib. I don't sail in anything over that but do have a trysail for it also if caught out. 60 kts on the beam will knock it down bare poled so it has it's limitations. With 8 kt wind it does near hull speed.
Which is what 5.9 knots, a real high performance boat you have there.
Barefootnavigat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, offshore