Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2015, 11:36   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Full keel live aboard cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames 4 Blood View Post
Just to offer an explanation for myself.... It's the rack and pinion steering that sells it to me.
Do you know the purpose of the hole in the upper, aft portion of the rudder?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 11:41   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thames 4 Blood View Post
I think their 380 is the biggest 38ft boat on the water.
For what it's worth, the 380 and the 35 are the same boat, when they added that sort of sugar scoop, that added to hull length, so for example an IP 38 has about two or three more feet of interior than an IP 380. 38's a lot bigger boat.

Now I like the "sort of sugar scoop" and would like to have it but realize I think a 420 is probably a 40 hull for example?
I assume we have the marketing dept to thank for this?
Old 28-09-2015, 12:03   #48

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I have Bristol 45.5 , love it , if i was going to spend in your budget range I would get a Bristol again, in a heart beat . But a 51.1, or a 54.4 or a 56.6 . There are a few on yacht world . They all came with teak decks , bad ! So you would have to have them removed . But these are well built boats that sail well with a gentle motion and have plenty of room below . I have a washing machine, generator, furnace, in mine. The wood work on board is outstanding !

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 13:22   #49

Regarding your parameters, I think my boat would work. I own and am selling my 1977 Nautor Swan 43 motor sailor, center cockpit. Price is well below your budget, the boat is pristine, Hull number is 007 out of a run of 24. Hull design is S&S. It is Southern California. World cruising capable, amazing construction. I am 75 and have a bit of arthritis in my hands, so am making some changes in my life. You will get many suggestions about different boats. Many of the opinions are valid, some are highly biased, the final decision will be yours. Good luck in your quest.
email: drbein@aol.com/
stevebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 13:35   #50

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Most of the modern heavy displacement cruisers are/were built for the US market. As an (apparent) EU resident you might find it difficult to import one, but if you intend to use her elsewhere then have at it. There is usually a good selection of American-registered heavy cruisers in Turkey, for the simple reason that they can't be easily imported into the EU, and it is too far for most to consider bringing back to the US for sale. Some good bargains can usually be found there.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 13:59   #51
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

42-ft 2000 Dutch blt alu hull centerboard/twin blades/2005 engine @ Eur 300k?
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 14:30   #52

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Do you know the purpose of the hole in the upper, aft portion of the rudder?
In which boat? If you mean in the Cabo Rico 42, it's there to permit removing the prop shaft without dropping the rudder. Just turn the rudder full stop, and the hole aligns with the shaft.

Also as a correction to an earlier post, the 40/42 and the 56 were drawn by Paine. All others (including the 45/47) are by Crealock.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 14:35   #53

Boat: Cape Dory 36

There is a beautiful Capedory 45 for sale here in Maine. I think about $250,000. Wish I could afford it. Listed at Robinhood Marine.
dwass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 15:30   #54

Thames 4 Blood:

Are you fixated on a monohull bobber or have you considered the stability and comfort of a trimaran? With a length of 45 to 50 feet the beam would be maybe 26 to 30 feet, one engine instead of a cat's two. With a ketch rig the mast height is a bit lower and you can leave your cup of tea on the table going windward without worrying about it sliding off. Plus the center hull of a tri prevents the wave booming of a cat. And did I mention elbow room? On a boat that size there is no claustrophobia.

Minority opinion, of course but there are tris available, ready to bluewater cruise for less than US$175,000. PLUS you can get on Google Earth and look at marinas around the world and marvel at the scarcity of tris.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 15:46   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
In which boat? If you mean in the Cabo Rico 42, it's there to permit removing the prop shaft without dropping the rudder. Just turn the rudder full stop, and the hole aligns with the shaft.

No, the IP, on the IP its there so you can run a line thru it and to the sheet winches and still have rudder control, assuming you have found a way to destroy the Rack and Pinion steering.
Although it seems as if a tiller arrangement wouldn't be that hard either. All you would need would be a way of attaching the tiller to the rudder post. I'd prefer the tiller, but then I guess you would have this large tiller you would have to store somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-09-2015, 16:12   #56
cruiser

A man who cruises with a washing machine is following the Steve Dashew Model of cruising. You might consider researching his lines of boats, especially the earlier ones, which, I think, were a bit smaller. A used one might be squeezed into your budget. In a traditional vein, a Hinckley SW50 certainly has the displacement to carry a lot of gear.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 18:21   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The Camper Nicholson boats come in a variety of sizes. Old but often well cared for. There is a Yahoo Group. Ours is 58 feet ketch center cockpit. Many 35s still sailing and kept like new. Other sizes are 40s to 50s. These are old boats now. Get a good survey & pay attention to blisters & water intrusion. Many have been peeled and rebuilt.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 19:20   #58

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Addendum to my previous post: there are indeed numerous boats in your size/price range in Turkey. Go here: GINO GROUP - YACHTS, YACHTING, BROKERAGE, CHARTER, BENETTI, AZIMUT, TRAVEL, TECHNICAL SERVICE, AZIMUT, TURKEY and do a search. (I am not a fan of Gino's, but they seem to be the largest in Turkey.)

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 20:55   #59

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Thames, want to throw this bone your way. Do you know Steve Dashew. He designs maxi boats with all of the creature comforts. The boats are incredible aluminum boats. His boats were the Deerfoot designs. You can find them on yachtworld.com.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area and a boat is on the market right now that is a large aluminum sailboat. I have included the link for you..check it out for a second and then discard if not up your alley. This is a fast passage maker with plenty of reserve power.

Boats for sale USA, boats for sale, used boat sales, Sailing Yachts For Sale Aluminum voyager like Deerfoot $199k! - Apollo Duck
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 00:08   #60

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

Thanks to all. I have a lot of other options to investigate. I'm not ready to write a cheque yet and who knows what will be on the market in the. Year or so when I am? I have a big soft spot for IPs as I might have said but I love the Cabo Ricos and I'm about to look at the other makes suggested.
I agree that most of the makes that will attract me are made in the USA. I wonder why the Europeans seem to make racing hulls? Even the Najads and Rasseys new hulls are very much built on the racing model. I have never been in a position where I would exchange comfort for an extra half knot of speed.... And I am a huge fan of White boats...
Thames 4 Blood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, keel