Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 16:23   #1

Full Batten Sails

I am in the process of purchasing new sails for my Formosa 51. I am going with Lee sails out of Portland Oregon. A new main mizzen and genny will cost me $5600.oo or I can opt for full batten main and mizzen for an additional $1300. I am looking for advice and opinions. I could also just go with full battens on the main and skip the mizzen or even just full batten the top two battens on the main. What do you think.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 16:08   #2

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop
I don't know about "just the top 2 battens", but in my experience the full batten cost is generally worth it. I've had full battens on my last three boats and on each boat when the time came to replace the genoa, the main was always almost brand new. It pretty much eliminates the flogging that can destroy a sail and improves the sail shape and range of wind you can sail into as well. I only have the one mast, so I cannot comment on whether doing the same for the mizzen would be worth it.

The price you are quoting seems unbelievably low for a 51' boat. What kind of cloth are they quoting? Make sure you know about the little things like how its finished and the number of reefs, etc..

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hylas 49-057
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 14:12   #3

It's a quote from Lee sails out of Portland Oregon. The fabric is called
Challenge High Modulus it is a spin off company by Bob Bainbridge. The main sil is 9.3oz and the mizzen and genny are 8.3oz. We decided to go with the full batten main and mizzen 4 battens and 3 respectively. The price cam to a total of $6900. We had to purchase different cars than the loft had due to our masts being made by LaFiell. Our delivery date is about 5 weeks out. Once we got the big head sail down it looked very tired. Not so much the fabric but it had been re sewn several times. It was used and adapted to be put on our boat from another.

http://www.challengesailcloth.com/
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 14:30   #4

Boat: Allures 44
Great price. Hope you're happy with the sails.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 14:43   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tar View Post
I am in the process of purchasing new sails for my Formosa 51. I am going with Lee sails out of Portland Oregon. A new main mizzen and genny will cost me $5600.oo or I can opt for full batten main and mizzen for an additional $1300. I am looking for advice and opinions. I could also just go with full battens on the main and skip the mizzen or even just full batten the top two battens on the main. What do you think.
Wow, fantastic price, I'm writing them today!

To your point -- battens everywhere!

Cheers.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sails