Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 15:00   #76

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Frustrated finding a boat. help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by findrichard View Post
The Bahamas are nice but are also the eastern gateway to the trade winds (20 to 25 knots from NNW to SW every day). Sailing eastward through the Caribbean islands requires pounding into the trades and their associated ocean swells most of the time. This is not a pleasure sail for the elderly. In fact this route is called the thorny passage for a reason. A boat that excels at this is not the typical Atlantic coastal cruiser designed to excel in 7-17 knots.
You mean the trades come from NNE to SE don't you?

My take is go find a $1000 20ft boat and sail the crap out of it for a year or two. Find a local racing club. They'll know who has a boat for sale cheap. It will be the best money spent. That $1000 will actually save you more than that in making a mistake on a bigger boat.

Fair winds,
ODB
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 15:22   #77

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I mean a sailboat with a good diesel!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 15:28   #78

The old salts don't like when the nubees don't agree. So I'm going to keep this light on advice. in addition my situation is somewhat different but somewhat similar as well.

I am 62 and decided to try sailing, something I wanted to do for a while. serious budget limits. so... I looked for months til I found what worked for me.

1. I had to make compromises.
2. I found a good solid boat that I know needs things.
3 I made a list of things that cost big. roller furling, Bimini etc. I then prioritize and plan to add those things over the coming years.
4 I couldn't afford what I wanted straight up but I own a solid boat and can upgrade.
5 like yourself I didn't want to buy several times, rather get something I can enjoy while I accumulate funds for the next most important thing.
6 common wisdom says that you will never get your investments back. true but beside the point. the point is to enjoy the experience.

I bought a 1973 morgan OI 33. old but well maintained by a man who owned it for 37 years. it was his baby and he took care of it. these boats are out there. I paid 10k and will pay another 10k for those big ticket items. but I had 10k to buy. not 20k.

I bought in NJ, took lessons and motored it to NC. sailed it a little but because of conditions I mostly motored. 11 days down the ICW. fun! HARD (single handed)! an enormous amount of work. a few terrifying experiences. I handled many issues as they came up. It is an old boat that hadn.'t been on a long trip in a long time. but I did it!

You can too. don't let the curmudgeons get you down.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 16:05   #79

And to Paul, I have one of those narrow boats that is tender and I love it! It heels to its point of balance, longer water line and that narrow hull punches through like a torpedo. Very sea kindly and no pounding to windward. I grant you it is not a roomy design though, won't be a hit at the boat show.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 29-09-2015, 17:45   #80

Boat: TBD 36

Yes, thank you. NNE to SE, please excuse my dyslexia.

Sent from my HTCONE using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
findrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 18:00   #81

I like that
Crisco41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 18:08   #82

I was already too old 5 yrs agao...and we have 5 or 6 more to go? Well dammit
Crisco41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 18:19   #83

Don't fret, the ICW offers plenty of beautiful spots to explore in relatively protected waters.

Old 29-09-2015, 20:03   #84

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
I am constantly amused by the desire for shoreside frivolities and the utter lack of interest in sails and ground tackle.

Comfort afloat consists of things like dry clothes, a warm meal, and a dry berth. Why have a shower in a sport that usually has swimming as a daily activity? Besides, the boat you can afford can't carry enough fresh water to make a shower practicable.

Paul
Paul,

Because there will be a possibility of 4 women aboard who all might be menstruating and want/need a shower.

For a family person, the comfort of the crew is a big value.

You're right, the whole shower concept will need to be visited relative to their vessel's tankage. I suggest letting the kids jerry jug the water for their showers. In truth, I'd suggest sun showers, above decks as well, because it's easier to keep track of your water usage. I don't think the OP and his family have come to grips with the concept of how little 50 gallons really is, yet, but we can trust them to deal with it when the time comes, one way or another.

No matter how clearly you try to give help, there's no guarantee it will reach its target and be taken in.

Ann
Old 29-09-2015, 20:48   #85

why do you insist on calling this a "sport"? It is certainly not a sport to me. if you are only ever going to go race your boat on the weekends then you have no business addressing me at all. you don't live in the same world.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:59   #86

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco41 View Post
I was already too old 5 yrs agao...and we have 5 or 6 more to go? Well dammit
Even more of a reason to buy a small boat now. You can likely sell it for what you paid for it, if not more.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 07:02   #87

My wife and I used a solar shower for about a month on an extended camping trip. The blatter held 5 gallons and was just enough water for two showers. I read somewhere that the average shower consumes three gallons of water - a good planning figure. For five people that is 15 gallons per day. Add another gallon per day per person for drinking, cooking, dish washing, etc and a family of five will easily consume 20 gallons per day or four jerry-cans per day. With 50 gallons onboard, a cruising family of five will need to visit a mariana every two days to replenish their water supply.

Now holding tank capacity is another math problem someone else may have similar planning criteria.

Old 30-09-2015, 08:36   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by findrichard View Post
My wife and I used a solar shower for about a month on an extended camping trip. The blatter held 5 gallons and was just enough water for two showers. I read somewhere that the average shower consumes three gallons of water - a good planning figure. For five people that is 15 gallons per day. Add another gallon per day per person for drinking, cooking, dish washing, etc and a family of five will easily consume 20 gallons per day or four jerry-cans per day. With 50 gallons onboard, a cruising family of five will need to visit a mariana every two days to replenish their water supply.

Now holding tank capacity is another math problem someone else may have similar planning criteria.

We have 70 gallons of fresh water and can go for a lot longer. Everyone uses different techniques. We have a water saver on our sinks.

Peggie Hall has published & posted the # gallons per person per day for a holding tank many times. If you can't find it, buy her book, it's worth that and much, much more.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 12:33   #89

Using fresh water for showers?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 30-09-2015, 12:37   #90

Taking showers?