Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2014, 18:44   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: From Chesapeake to Cape Breton in May 2014 in a 45' gaff-rigged Sharpie yawl

I missed the above post and didn't get back to him. But I didn't see him come through here. So I have been wondering myself.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 04:33   #77

Boat: Sharpie Gaff-rigged Yawl, custom, 45'
Re: From Chesapeake to Cape Breton in May 2014 in a 45' gaff-rigged Sharpie yawl

Uisce Run | 2014 Passage of a Chesapeake Sharpie yawl for the whole sorry tale.

Actually, the hulk/hull was, as advertised, unsinkable and in fine condition. If I had had more money this vessel would have been a good deal.

However the topsides were incredibly rotten and I was unable to make her seaworthy with the time and funds available. Indeed on her first sail in wind over 10 knots the mast came down - because the tabernacle planks cracked. They were not rotten but overly weathered and a little too weak by design. I had bought an additional through-bolt to brace them and it was top of the list of things to do that day, but the mast came down before I had the chance!

If they had been braced (i.e. with some 6" steel I had on hand), probably she would have made it all the way up, after which the topsides could have been replaced and the slow leak into the main cabin found and fixed.

But I didn't have the funds and so the boat was destroyed. No-one was hurt.
CaperAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 04:45   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My condolences and appreciation of your frank honesty.
I hope things work better for you the next time around.

Quote:
And since the passage of time is really all we ‘have’ in life, having a good time living it is one of the ultimate art forms.
I especially appreciated this parting thought.

Thanks.
Old 28-07-2014, 06:53   #79

Boat: Sharpie Gaff-rigged Yawl, custom, 45'

Thanks Hpeer. Was looking forward to meeting you. And thanks for all your kind and informative posts etc. As well as others on the thread. Although so much went wrong, so many mistakes made etc., I now feel I have a much better understanding about boats, boat ownership etc. So I didn't learn much about sailing - my main desire - but more about what it takes to be able to sail.

I am driving over to my little 24' Paceship in a couple of hours. She needs very little work which before I was a little intimidated by but now know I can tackle in short order. Too late to make it over to the festival in France at St. Pierre et Miquelon next week, but next year I will be there!
CaperAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 07:15   #80

Boat: Watkins 29'

Keep dreaming..

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-07-2014, 05:03   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

St Pierre is wonderful, make sure to check out the little bakery by the waterfront. The sweets are great and the staff a treat for the eye.

I've been there three times now. Miquelon is a very small harbor but perhaps ok for your small boat, if you can avoid the aquaculture activity. I took a tourism tour from St Pierre which was a rib ride over, land on a shingle beach, then a van ride around with lunch and wine provided. Well worth it.