Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 07:30   #1

Fresh water to blue water cost estimate

Just started looking for a boat. I found a 92 hunter passage 42. That sits in fresh water four months out of the year then on the hard the rest. How much would it take to make it blue water ready?
RonEMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:53   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Fresh water to blue water cost estimate

What do you mean by blue water? crossing a large ocean or sailing to a nearby island, then hoping to the next.

Unfortunately no one can give you a figure in dollars without an extensive survey of the boat and list of objectives you desire for the type of sailing you choose.

Perhaps spend some time reading the previous threads on CF once you have spend a couple of days going over the boat. Have you visited it?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:14   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEMac View Post
Just started looking for a boat. I found a 92 hunter passage 42. That sits in fresh water four months out of the year then on the hard the rest. How much would it take to make it blue water ready?
I've seen blue water in Lake Michigan and in Bora Bora and a few places in between. Assuming you mean fresh to salt water, it should "take" nothing other than changing the bottom paint.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:40   #4

I haven’t seen the boat in person. Pics look good. It’s on Lake Michigan when it’s in the water. I want to sail to the Bahamas and maybe cross over pacific
RonEMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 13:58   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

How long is a piece of string?

Between $10,000 and a quarter mil
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 14:34   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The boat is ready now. Well, unless there are the usual unspoken problems like needing new standing rigging, new sails, any repairs, electrical work, inadequate tankage, no storm sails...

Really, YOU need to see a boat in person, and then the rest is a matter of what it takes to get YOU ready for blue water. Does the boat have instruments? Communications? Would you know how to receive weather forecasts if it did?

Anything can cross oceans, the question is, what about the crew and operator? If any of this is news to you, you are still looking at an adventure. Or, trouble.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 14:56   #7

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

Why would you buy a Hunter to cross oceans? That's like buying a Mazda Miata to haul loads of dirt. And saying that you can "cross oceans on anything" is just dumb. You can do it on a surfboard, but would you want to?? BTW - previous Hunter owner here.

Steve
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:22   #8

I have been evaluating cost to make my current Great Lakes sailboat ready for offshore ocean cruising: new sails, rigging, life raft Epirus, off shoe life vest, ddrogue, extra spinnaker pole,new batteries, wind vane, back up autopilot “, SSB, new canvas switch to all new bottom paint : 70-80 thousand easy.
Going Gaugain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fresh water to blue water cost estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Gaugain View Post
I have been evaluating cost to make my current Great Lakes sailboat ready for offshore ocean cruising: new sails, rigging, life raft Epirus, off shoe life vest, ddrogue, extra spinnaker pole,new batteries, wind vane, back up autopilot “, SSB, new canvas switch to all new bottom paint : 70-80 thousand easy.
Man you guys love to spend..
If the mast is standing and no holes in the sails your good to go..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:58   #10

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Man you guys love to spend..
If the mast is standing and no holes in the sails your good to go..
“Love to spend”? Dear god, no, but we’re realists that have grasped the basic concept of self sufficiency and oh, right, there isn’t a breakdown lane out there to wait for the tow truck.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:59   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Gaugain View Post
And all that is just bolt-on carry-on stuff.

Personally, most Hunters I have been on would require a lot of refitting/reinforcement before I would take them into blue water. They're just not built for it, so it's no slam on them. Some of their models are probably fine, but I've been on a few that are definitely not.

This question comes up a lot when someone finds an inexpensive production boat designed for coastal waters and wants to take it far and wide. You're usually better off in terms of money, work, comfort, etc. buying a different boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:59   #12

Boat: Boatless

Here is one that is ready to go blue water! Just sailed her back solo from Bshamas to FL!

You can take off tomorrow or I’ll deliver her anywhere on the east coast including Bermuda or the Caribbean! (If the link does not work PM me)

1994 Hunter Legend sailboat for sale in Florida
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38429608-94FD-4CA5-8A75-A748CE90DBB5.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	171562   Click image for larger version

Name:	935FA26B-8344-4C21-BF1C-526623BE32C0.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	171563  

akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:01   #13

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
And all that is just bolt-on carry-on stuff.

Personally, most Hunters I have been on would require a lot of refitting/reinforcement before I would take them into blue water. They're just not built for it, so it's no slam on them. Some of their models are probably fine, but I've been on a few that are definitely not.

This question comes up a lot when someone finds an inexpensive production boat designed for coastal waters and wants to take it far and wide. You're usually better off in terms of money, work, comfort, etc. buying a different boat.
Read “Hunter, really?” on blog. I used to feel the same way. The Legends series a sweet spot in their line up ;-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17   #14

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Read “Hunter, really?” on blog. I used to feel the same way. The Legends series a sweet spot in their line up ;-)

It depends on what your goal is. I sail Lake Michigan and 5 years here equals maybe a year in salt water so the boat is good to go if you plan on coastal cruising say Canada to the Keys and Bahamas. You can pick the season and weather windows. To jump from Beaufort to the Caribbean it would take a lot more outfitting in my opinion as would across to Europe. There is great sailing and places to see on the Great Lakes and going out the St Lawrence or the Erie Canal would be an experience.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:26   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Oh no doubt, some of them are more than capable. There's a pretty wide range in models/years and I'm no expert. But there are quite a few they have put out that are just not designed for it or built for it. Shop wisely.

The Passage 42 is a bit squishy and squeaky and does not have much tankage, despite the name. But it's a fair amount of 90's boat for the money.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, water