Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 13:45   #31

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Fresh water to blue water cost estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We owned a Hunter Passage 450 for two years and definitely would NOT consider it to be a “blue water boat.” It’s a lightly constructed coastal cruiser, one that I’d never consider for crossing oceans aboard. Uncomfortable, tippy, rolly, creaky etc.
Every boat is "tippy and rolly" and if you don't hear creaking, regardless of the brand, you might be due for a hearing check. We were on a Princess cruise ship recently which tipped and rolled quite a bit and the creaking bulkhead kept me awake at night. Not a simple feat given my blood alcohol level most evenings.

Having sailed across the Pacific, it's readily apparent to me every boat is "blue water" if the crew maintains it properly. And every boat has breakdowns regardless of the nameplate. Implying otherwise is nonsense.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 14:09   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Here we go round in circles. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 15:06   #33

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Here we go round in circles. . .
In some circles, making circumnavigations is going around in circles..

Having seen some of the most questionable boats resting comfortably in motus in places most here never heard of, I think it's silly when anyone writes generalizations about anything and particularly about any brand of boat.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 15:51   #34

I have a 1991 Hunter 42 and it is an awesome boat. I have two friends on the Hunter owners forum that have both sailed their respective H42's in SERIOUS blue water extensively- both have had multiple trips THROUGHOUT the pacific, one as far as from Alaska to New Zealand multiple times. Anyone that says Hunters are not serious blue water capable are speaking out of their backsides- most likely armchair sailors- at the very least , they have no experience with a H42. The H42 was developed by Warren Luhrs as his dream boat during the lkate '80's reecesion- it was the boat they built to show the world that Hunter could/did build genuine world class boats- and they sold a lot of them ( H452's). The first series is vastly superior to the second series- the second series was some 3>4t lighter than the series 1 out of the factory.
Could not recommend the H42 highly enough!
Eianm
eianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 16:10   #35

As Some one who sailed on ships for a living I would recommend you look for a really well built boat regardless of cost. I have done hurricanes and class 5 typhoon and even our 950 ft ship got our butts kicked. So make certain you have the proper radio equipment to include satellite communications, an Icom 802 SIngle Side Band, NAVTEX, the ability to receive weather fax into your laptop, a VHF with digital selective call, and AIS and an EPIRB snd life raft. This gear will save your life so learn to use it. If this sounds extreme maybe you should have been there when we heard distress calls. Watch the weather and be honest about your skill level. Talk to those who have made the trip you are planning and take a first aid course
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 04:52   #36

First off-to whoever says a type of sailboat cannot be an open water blue boat is full of it. It is more the captain than of the boat itself that makes an open water sailor. I have been sailing on all types of boats (both Cats and monos) for over 40+ years in all types of conditions. I currently (as of two years ago) just purchased a 1991 Hunter Passage 42 in preparation to retire on in the open blue water. I have done my research and the Passage 42 was made for open water cruising. If you have doubt it please ask the NUMEROUS sailors sailing on P42s both in the Atlantic and Pacific at https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/re...k=model&mid=45

My boat was also purchased as freshwater boat which means far less corrosion (and possible abuse) than one that is a "salt-water" boat. I think I know the boat that you are looking at. If it is the one that was wintered over at the East Chicago marina and is out of Chicago I have visited that boat. If you have any questions please email me at 1mcarlson@comcast.net. My P42 is currently in Hammond marina where I am installing new electronics and would be happy to talk to you about the merits of the Hunter 42.
1mcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 03:45   #37

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Man you guys love to spend..
If the mast is standing and no holes in the sails your good to go..
Excellent response. I've thought the same many a time while reading posted material on this site.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 05:24   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eianm View Post
I have a 1991 Hunter 42 and it is an awesome boat. I have two friends on the Hunter owners forum that have both sailed their respective H42's in SERIOUS blue water extensively- both have had multiple trips THROUGHOUT the pacific, one as far as from Alaska to New Zealand multiple times. Anyone that says Hunters are not serious blue water capable are speaking out of their backsides- most likely armchair sailors- at the very least , they have no experience with a H42. The H42 was developed by Warren Luhrs as his dream boat during the lkate '80's reecesion- it was the boat they built to show the world that Hunter could/did build genuine world class boats- and they sold a lot of them ( H452's). The first series is vastly superior to the second series- the second series was some 3>4t lighter than the series 1 out of the factory.
Could not recommend the H42 highly enough!
Eianm
I’m speaking out as the previous owner of a 1998 Hunter 450 who needed to re-attach the keel on a very lightly used boat that had never previously left the San Francisco Bay. Our boat was a great coastal cruiser, but a piece of feces compared to many other choices for a blue water type boat all things considered.

I’m not saying ocean crossings can’t be done, it’s just that there’re are far better choices available for the same money.

Buy what you want, it’s your money.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 20:10   #39

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I’m speaking out as the previous owner of a 1998 Hunter 450 who needed to re-attach the keel on a very lightly used boat
Are you sure it was not an Oyster?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 20:30   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Are you sure it was not an Oyster?
No Richard Matthews built Oyster has ever sunk to the best of my knowledge other than one that hit an iceberg ten years ago near the Falkland Islands.

Our 53 and our 62 were both built by Richard Matthews. Nice try.
Old 20-06-2018, 21:33   #41

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ahhh,I see: no Matthews built Oyster has ever sunk, except for the one that did.

Actually, I agree that they are well built boats, and have a good track record in general. But I don't see why hitting an iceberg is all that different from hitting any other hard object... and it did sink, apparently.

Jim
Old 21-06-2018, 03:51   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ahhh,I see: no Matthews built Oyster has ever sunk, except for the one that did.

Actually, I agree that they are well built boats, and have a good track record in general. But I don't see why hitting an iceberg is all that different from hitting any other hard object... and it did sink, apparently.

Jim
The boat was actually swamped but still floating when the folks on board were rescued. It's assumed that it later sank.

Tags
blue water, water