Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 09:28   #16

Boat: Tartan30
Re: Fresh water to blue water cost estimate

Welcome to CF!!!
I am not familiar with that model of Hunter, and do not know enough about the different Hunter designs to make a broad stroke endorsement, or condemnation.

I would suggest you get with some of your more experienced Sailing Friends and go thru the specs of that model and see if the over all design is up to snuff for a long offshore voyage.

Some designs are just not built to deal with the demands of extended offshore cruising.

Going to the Bahamas is another issue. I feel like the requirements of Bahamas Cruising is more like "coastal cruising" than extended offshore cruising. Going to the Bahamas may be more of an issue of "draft" than the boat being well rigged, stiff, and heavily equipped for an extended ocean passage.

Another issue is getting the boat from the Great Lakes, to the Atlantic Ocean. Would you sail it? Unstep the rig and use the canal route? Sail it out the St.Lawrence? Truck it?

Sailors who have not sailed the Great Lakes sometimes tend to discount the challenges, and ferocity the Great Lakes can offer. If this boat has done any SERIOUS Great Lakes cruising, in a full range of Great Lakes weather then she has been tested, BUT it sounds like this particular boat may have been used a little less, and possibly has not been really tested in tough weather, and a variety of sea states.

I would suggest you drop the "blue water" phrase, as it seems to be a separate debate in itself.

Hopefully you will order your own "independent survey" prior to purchase, and you can explain to the Surveyor what your plans might be and let the Surveyor show you where the boat may or not be ready for your trip and what it might require/cost to bring it up to standards for a safe offshore passage.

Besides a good solid hull, and stout rig, an extended cruising boat needs larger water/fuel tank capacity. It needs lots of room for storage of supplies and spare parts. It would also need an broader sail inventory. etc etc.

People have, and do cross oceans in all sorts of boats. That one fella rounded Cape Horn in a very small production sailboat single handed. Others need a Deck Hand and a Steward to leave the dock for the day.

Figure out what YOUR skill level is. Then have someone experienced give you a truthful evaluation of what your skill level is....they are not always the same....lol Figure out what your comfort level is. Really examine your bank account.....and DO NOT fall in love with the first 10 boats you actually set foot on.

Either way......it's going to be an adventure!!!!!!
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40   #17

With respect, OP, such a question is apt to make some people believe that you've become ensnared by the romantic dream of "running away to sea", but that you know nothing, or very, very little, about boats in general, and in specific nothing about what it is like to be in a boat on passage.

If you can be specific about how this particular Hunter is a) rigged, b) equipped, c) furnished, and how and why you think that your PERSONAL living habits and physical and mental capabilities (and those of any contemplated crew) mesh - or don't mesh - with a), b) and c) above, we can be of more help.

It would also help to know what formal qualifications, such as ASA certificates, you have, how much sea time you have and where in the world that was earned.

Buying a boat and "going blue water" is NOT like buying a RAM 350 and blowing it down Route 66 :-)

All the best

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:45   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fresh water to blue water cost estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Read “Hunter, really?” on blog. I used to feel the same way. The Legends series a sweet spot in their line up ;-)
Damn right there-s some good one's..
Friend of mine bought a Legend in the Caribe.. sailed her to the Med then after a while back across to Brazil and is currently somewhere in Central America last I heard..
Helianthe is easily recognised by the giant sunflowers on the hull..
I tolerated 'sailor's' in Oriental for nearly a year telling me I was on a suicide mission trying to take a 37c Cherubini across to the UK.. all she got done before sailing was the plastic ports ripped out and plexiglass screwed over the holes.. oh..!!! and a crap new Simrad AP.
One of the best boats I've sailed..
But.. if it makes you happy.. Splash de Cash..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:49   #19

Boat: Catalina 320

Zincs ? Don't they use magnesium or something in freshwater ?
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:53   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fresh water to blue water cost estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEMac View Post
Just started looking for a boat. I found a 92 hunter passage 42. That sits in fresh water four months out of the year then on the hard the rest. How much would it take to make it blue water ready?
Get her surveyed.. fix the recommendations and antifoul her..
Sail her down to Beaufort, NC using the ICW when possible then hop across to Bermuda, Azores and then Portugal.. go in June/July and you'll do just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	136
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	171566  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:38   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

To me true "blue water ready" would mean maybe not ready for a circumnavigation, but include passages across the Pacific and to down under, maybe round Cape Horn etc.

From Newfoundland to the Bahamas in season is more like coastal cruising, right?

For the former, more likely to hit very heavy seas, the foundational bones and safe sailing characteristics are most critical, prepping sails rigging tankage etc are relatively superficial in comparison to choosing the right hull in the first place.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 14:07   #22

Boat: Hunter passage42

I see someone is bashing the Hunters again. I've been around boats awhile and think they are the best boats dollar for dollar. And are we also bashing "production" boats. I'm sure the critics are sailing "production" boats and not "one offs".
degouwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 21:01   #23

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have a hunter Legend and here's what I did to her as she was a 1990 boat and new to me:

Had the mast taken down and all standing rigging inspected as well as all connections.
I had the Mast rewired and I placed a new LED anchor light / tricolor on the Masthead.
I replaced all the life lines to uncovered stainless steel.
I replaced the raw water pump on the engine.
I cleaned the heat exchanger.
I replaced the mixing elbow.
I put a new high-output alternator on the engine for battery charging.
I had all through hulls inspected and serviced.
I purchased a manual Edson bilge pump that is capable of moving 1 gallon per stroke.
I replaced the main bilge pump.
My boat did not have refrigeration or an autopilot. I added both of those.

I have not done transatlantic sailing. I've only done Coastal Atlantic sailing. I am planning to take my boat to the Bahamas and the British Virgin Islands in the near future.

There are several blogs on the web about families taking the passage 42, specifically and circumnavigating.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 21:18   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Olson View Post
Why would you buy a Hunter to cross oceans? That's like buying a Mazda Miata to haul loads of dirt. And saying that you can "cross oceans on anything" is just dumb. You can do it on a surfboard, but would you want to?? BTW - previous Hunter owner here.

Steve
What's dumb are these sorts of comments. Hunters do successfully and safely cross oceans. The hunter 49 for eg is a terrific boat, built strong and sails very well. Prejudice dosent help discussions.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 21:19   #25

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I forgot to add that I do have a hardwired GPS unit on board. I wired the GPS to the VHF so that my DSC is available. I also ran a remote mic to the cockpit so I have that.

For my chart plotter I use an iPad on a RAM mount at the binnacle, and I use isailor by transas as my chart plot software. My primary means of navigation is paper chart and related navigation techniques, though.

I have been out sailing the coastal Atlantic in this boat in 20 to 30 knot winds with 8 to 10 foot Seas and she handled it just fine. The Legends are a little tender and require early reefing, but sail extremely well.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 14:41   #26

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Man you guys love to spend..
If the mast is standing and no holes in the sails your good to go..
Cheers mate!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 17:08   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEMac View Post
Just started looking for a boat. I found a 92 hunter passage 42. That sits in fresh water four months out of the year then on the hard the rest. How much would it take to make it blue water ready?
Rounder up

$0
Old 18-06-2018, 06:35   #28
cruiser

We owned a Hunter Passage 450 for two years and definitely would NOT consider it to be a “blue water boat.” It’s a lightly constructed coastal cruiser, one that I’d never consider for crossing oceans aboard. Uncomfortable, tippy, rolly, creaky etc.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 06:50   #29

Boat: Cabo Rico

The term "blue water" is meaningless in this context, and to ask what you need to get a boat that you "found" but have never seen, is kind of pointless.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 12:53   #30

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

Comment on IPad for navigation.
Works great down below but they don't like heat or direct sunlight and will shut down. If you're going south invest in a decent chart plotter and appropriate cards.
Don't want your nav going down at critical times.
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, water