Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-02-2012, 10:32   #1

Freedom Cat Ketch Boat - Any good?

As I have been very actively looking for my ideal boat, I try to keep an open mind but stay within the limited criteria for what would best suit my needs.
I am looking for a seaworthy boat that is also a capable liveaboard. My ideal size is between 27-33 feet, I restrict my search to boats of this size for a number of reasons, including, cost of ongoing maintenance, cost of refitting/repairs, slip costs, and ease of single handed sailing.
I have looked at several boats ranging from C&C's, Beneteau, Westerly, Rhodes Chesapeake, Alberg, Cape Dory, Hunter, Com-Pac, Island Pacific, and others.
Now, I am off to look at a Freedom 28 Cat Ketch. This really intrigues me as I initially wanted a Cat Rig because it is so easy to sail and the rigging allows for extra cabin room since the mast is forward.
However, I only know that Freedom yachts generally carry a good name and a good reputation for well built boats. But, I can find nothing that offers information about the 28 foot Cat Ketch.
Like any other boat that old, I know I should pay attention to potential core rot but are the boats good sailers? Are they bluewater seaworthy or only coastal/weekend/day sailers?
If anyone has any experience, I would greatly appreciate their stories and opinions.
Notpopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 14:07   #2

Re: Freedom Cat Ketch Boat - Any good?

I have not personally sailed on one, but have seen a few out sailing during my trips on the East Coast. Appear to be a pretty decent sailing boat from the perspective that they were keeping up with whatever else was sailing in the vicinity.

Did you go see one for sale? Where? What was your impression of the quality of construction and fit and finish?

Looks to be an interesting type for coastal sailing with a cbd. Bit much freeboard versus hull under the water (masswise) for my tastes for offshore use though.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 14:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Freedom Cat Ketch Boat - Any good?

A guy named Al McDiarmid did about 35,000 miles in a 28 cat ketch singlehanded and much of it engineless. I could be off on the mileage figure and I haven't spoken with Al in years. Might be worth tracking him down. We used to own a Freedom 39 cat ketch that was a Ron Holland hull design. The 33's are nice and I think would be better if you are sailing with 2 or more people.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: