Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 16:22   #16

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Freedom 39' PH Schooner

Folks I knew bought a used Freedom PH39. They had mast problems, don't remember exactly what. They found out the previous owner also had mast problems which were not disclosed to them. May have had a mast replacement, I can't remember. Lost track of the boat so I don't know the resolution.
I would make sure to find out as much accurate history as possible.
Sorry to be so vague but CRS marches on lol.
Anyway, caveat emptor.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:09   #17

Boat: Freedom 32

Have had my Freedom for 32 years .... Great boat ⛵️
CaptPFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 17:58   #18

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
That wasn't the point. Get out of your own head and read up on FREEDOM
Monkey you seem to be perpetually pissed off.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 18:16   #19

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefmech View Post
Looking at a couple mid 80's Freedom 39ft pilot house schooners anyone know anything about them?

Sent from my XT1585 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I've got one! We looked from Florida to Maine before buying Goodwind. A 1984 PH 39... Been 13 years now. Absolutely love it. Race it every year in the 2-3 day Great Cheasapake Schooner Race. It's always been a design and build ahead of its time that freaks out more traditional folks. They always worry about the masts. Very few failures as there's much fewer areas to fail. Our cored deck and hull are 100% fine. But still check. It's been reliable in all-out hard racing conditions. Message me for details on what to expect. We're moving aboard this spring.
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:09   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

The cored hull thing gets tiresome. Lots of high quality boats have cored hulls. Yes it could get wet if owners do stupid things, but wood, rots, steel rusts, foam can delaminate, solid glass can get osmosis etc etc. My point is all boats have problems and potential problems. TPI built a good boat. Can the mast break? Of course it can, but its unlikely. A very large percentage of freedoms have their original masts. And if the mast breaks it can.be repaired, it didn't necessarily mean a new mast! In regards to mast steps, they are built very solidly and not difficult to repair if their is a problem.
Most that make comments have never been on a Freedom let alone owned one. Ive owned my freedom for 7years and all I can say is its been a great boat. Also ive done more miles than most in that time (20,000+) in all sorts of places and conditions and she has been nothing but a solid , good performing cruising boat.
You may find reasonably extensive gel coat cracking, fairly common on feedoms of that age, generally cosmetic and not a problem. You may see cracking on the mast, once again almost always cosmetic, Spondberg has written a good article about that. Check out port holes in hull, often not sealed well and you may find some wet balsa. A little wet balsa isnt a disaster, it dosent generally wick that far and secondly more often than not its from salt water, therefore no rot. Hull strength I doubt very much would be compromised. The lay up is quite thick. Check the bulk head behind the mast, its almost impossible to stop water running down the mast into the boat, this is generally fresh water (rain) therefore if it dosent drain properly it can rot the bulkhead.
Freedoms are well built, strong fast cruising boats. Im about to put mine on the market. I intend to purchase a larger more modern boat. And the truth is I worry (and know) that my next boat won't be as strong as Freeform , both in hull, rig and rudder. Unfortunately I cant afford a modern (under 10year old) boat that is built as strongly and has a stayless carbon fiber rig.
I do worry about the lightning strike theory.
Btw I think the cat ketch is an awesome cruising rig, self tacking upwind and wing to wing downwind, cruising is meant to be relaxed. I have the the sloop, I think the ketch from a cruising perspective is better.

So, in IMHO if you find a 39ketch in good condition at the right price, then why not? Great quality boat that sails very well.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:14   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

Sorry just one other thing. For accurate information you are better of scrolling through the threads on the freedom yacht forum as another poster has previously mentioned. Very informative forum and very knowledgeable owners. No where near as large as cf but really friendly and they can answer anything freedom yacht related, generally really good blokes.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote