Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 05:43   #1

Freedom 35 - what are they like under sail?

Potential buyer seeking opinions from anyone who has actually sailed the Pedrick designed Freedom 35.

I have no intention of racing, but am looking for a cruiser that is also fun to sail.
ducham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 06:41   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Freedom 35 - what are they like under sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducham View Post
Potential buyer seeking opinions from anyone who has actually sailed the Pedrick designed Freedom 35.

I have no intention of racing, but am looking for a cruiser that is also fun to sail.
I dont know. I've owned a freedom 32 and liked it alot, its sailed quite well.

I've noticed the 35's have come down in price considerably in recent years, I like them and have considered having one in the future if I down grade.

They are a classy little boat.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 07:25   #3

Re: Freedom 35 - what are the like under sail?

I chartered once in the 90's in the BVI. Nice little boat - stayless if I remember correctly. We enjoyed it and it sailed very well. I remember a great bash upwind from the west end up to road town in 30+ knots. Boat performed well.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:24   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

I think the 35 and the 40/40 were considered the fastest boats freedom made.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 12:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducham View Post

They are sweet boats. We had a Freedom 30 and I enjoyed sailing it. Yes, you give up a bit in windward performance, but you make gains in performance and simplicity once you're a few degrees off the wind.

When we were replacing the 30 it came down to a Freedom 35 and the boat we bought, a Tartan 40. I know there's going to be times I wish we bought the Freedom. There were a lot of configuration differences during the production run. Some boats have the Hoyt boom jib, while others have an actual overlapping Genoa.

Unfortunately, the 35 we were considering appears to be gone. A good guy to talk to is Mark Edwards at Cape Yachts. Mark was a program manager at TPI during the Freedom days. He knows the boats inside out.

Mark DeDionisio
Tartan 40 Sister Moon
Oriental, NC
izzyforreal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail