Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 10:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49
Freedom 28 Cat /Ketch

I am part of a non profit group that just had a Freedom-28 donated to us. The boat has had very little use but needs some TLC. I have sailed on a Freedom 40 once but know very little about one of these. The foundation will sell this boat as we have no need of it. I'm looking for information or advice on the boat. Can anyone with knowledge help.
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:13   #2

Re: Freedom 28 Cat /Ketch

What kind of info? Check for wet core, it's a cored hull. FREEDOM 28 CAT KETCH sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:26   #3

This 28 seems to be in good shape. Engine runs good. (18 hp Yanmar original) Sails in good shape. The boat has been at my Yacht club for ever but the old retired man that owned it almost never took it out of the slip. He passed away and his wife gave it to the foundation. Looking for advice as to what to do with it to get ready to sell.
Old 27-08-2016, 11:05   #4

What part of the country?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:07   #5

Daytona Beach, Fl
Old 27-08-2016, 16:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like boats with Free Standing Masts. Here are my suggestions to help you, based on what I would do if asked to help a non-profit group sell the boat asset for maximum profit to the group, and within the shortest time (time is money) and without a broker:

1. Clean the boat thoroughly, to make it presentable. Clean the toilet. Clean the galley.

2. Take good photos of the important stuff, including interior, sails, engine, deck gear, etc. Tip: measure and note the headroom and the length of the berths. Does the head have a shower? Etc. Borrow a moisture meter. Test the hull for moisture while you have it out of the water if you are going to be doing any bottom painting prior to sale. Document that (video, locations, etc). Save that for future.

3. Get a few photos of the boat with sails up, preferably sailing. Note the type of booms. Are they wishbone or standard with tracks? Are the sails wraparound or square top?

4. Post something about the boat, it's history, designer notes, including photos, in the following thread I started about Boats with Freestanding Masts. It is best to describe the boat as a type, including descriptions of key features, such as shoal draft, type of engine, etc. be descriptive of its qualities, because you are posting about a type or design. This is a thread about TYPE of boats, it is NOT really a "for sale" thread, so make your post descriptive of the type. Include multiple photos, and comments from any sailors who are experienced sailing that type or model of boat. Address points such as how it sails, how it goes to weather, comfort, quality of construction, ease of use of the rigs, etc.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-150283.html

5. Post a similar post (as above) in the following thread which is focused on boats that are priced below $30,000 asking price. I assume your boat will be priced below $30k, as there are others of that model now for sale on yachtworld for as little as $10k. This thread is focused on boats that are CURRENTLY on the market.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

6. Post a thorough "For Sale" listing in the CF "Boats for Sale" classifieds forum. Include good description, multiple photos, and LINKS to the two other more descriptive posts you made in the two other threads above.
Boats For Sale and Wanted - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

7. Make a short video walk through of the boat. Include a few scenes of the boat sailing, seen from another boat and from the cockpit. Show the ease of tacking from a single hander's perspective. Use a female sailor to do the singlehanded video demo.

8. Post a shorter version of the "for sale" listing on sailboatlistings.com which is a FSBO site.

That is what I would do.

Good luck!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 20:12   #7

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Go here and do a search. If you still have questions, join and post. Great folks!!

http://www.freedomyachts.org

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 05:28   #8

Boat: Cal 33-2

There once was one in our club. Nice interior for a smaller boat of that vintage, but it didn't go upwind very well.
Old 28-08-2016, 13:47   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If it was donated to a non-profit org.. Just have it detailed and ask a reasonable price. Non-profits are not in the boat brokerage business nor maintaining dockage an upkeep.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 19:33   #10

Boat: CD25

Toni
The hull was built by TPI in rhode island which is a quality yard
Sounds like a nice boat for someone that likes that style boat
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 12:15   #11

Boat: Scout 30

Is this the centerboard version?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 18:13   #12

Boat: Scout 30

Can you give us some information on your foundation? I might be interested in the boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch