Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 16:25   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: Four ladies row from California to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
There was virtually zero promotion nor media attention in the US. If they really wanted to raise monies for their charities, one would think they would have tried to get attention in the US, and not some poor third rate nation like England. Should have raised millions, not several hundred thousand. Oh well, maybe the next group will have some business logistics behind them.

Perhaps they felt better doing it for their personal achievement rather than making millions of dollars for some yankee publicity promotional company to rip their percentage off.

And as a Brit living in 'the richest country in the world' I see how charity works here. This is the real third world where only the rich can afford to get ill and homeless folk, even homeless veterans of which there are many in Florida, begging on street corners ( or like from us tonight in a local Walmart parking lot) and get fined then put in jail for not paying up ( what with FFS?), because the local rich folk hereabouts don't like to see them near their nice expensive homes. The churches (and I'm not religious) do their best to help but against massive local opposition. Shameful, but then the money is needed for more bombs and bullets for the military.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 16:42   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
right... with enough "business logistics" one could turn a personal adventure into a media frenzy and make much more money... and loose most of the spiritual/personal gain from a tremendous achievement. I can certainly imagine why they chose not to do so.

I suppose that it comes down to their motivation and aims in the project: personal satisfaction in a great adventure, with the additional benefit of raising money and awareness for their cause, or simply the latter, with the rowing just being a means of gaining the funding. Commercializing such adventures, for me, spoils the achievement to a big degree.

YMMV... and it seems often to do so.

Jim
Then just say "We went to do a great achievement." and be done with it. To wrap oneself into some "raising monies for a great cause" rings hollow given that, done right, one could have really helped those causes to a much greater extent. And they did scrounge around England looking for handouts and monies to do their trip. Think going begging is less honorable then trying to do a first rate promotion campaign.
They certainly did a great adventure. No question there. Just such a shame more could have been done with it. And to the other poster, I was not belittling England. In fact was giving them a complement in being third, rather than fifth or sixth rate. My goodness, Singapore, tiny little nation, is economically almost as big as the entire Great Britain.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 17:05   #33

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
There was virtually zero promotion nor media attention in the US. If they really wanted to raise monies for their charities, one would think they would have tried to get attention in the US, and not some poor third rate nation like England. Should have raised millions, not several hundred thousand. Oh well, maybe the next group will have some business logistics behind them.
You are a very sad person. You obviously have a need to knock and put down.

Very Very few organizations raise 'Millions', very few. Despite your criticism, and that 'your' club had never heard of them, I think they have done marvelous in raising charity dollars.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 18:57   #34

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Mate, I don't blame them a bit, not surprised they rowed the whole time. I'd be a tad upset too. Which one got blamed for forgetting the mast, sails and keel?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 19:33   #35

John Beeden did it solo. http://ecowatch.com/2015/12/28/john-beeden-pacific-row/

Sent from my SM-T520 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
hp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
You are a very sad person. You obviously have a need to knock and put down.

Very Very few organizations raise 'Millions', very few. Despite your criticism, and that 'your' club had never heard of them, I think they have done marvelous in raising charity dollars.
Oh you poor clueless and ill informed person. At least here in the US and in Japan, millions get raised all the time for charities from races, expeditions, and the like. Poorer nations like England are not known for raising much monies simply because they do not have much. So if you are going to raise charity monies and set an example for the world, it is simply stupid to ignore the US and Japan. FYI, we are active in the RYA and when they have a good cause, we get our side of the pond involved in raising funds, especially when the RYA needs big bucks. Go ask your yacht club.
Old 28-01-2016, 05:35   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You want money?
Start looking toward China
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 05:52   #38

Women are obviously the stronger sex when it comes to perseverance and the ability to deal with arduous long term effort. Girls rule.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 06:35   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Oh you poor clueless and ill informed person. At least here in the US and in Japan, millions get raised all the time for charities from races, expeditions, and the like. Poorer nations like England are not known for raising much monies simply because they do not have much. So if you are going to raise charity monies and set an example for the world, it is simply stupid to ignore the US and Japan. FYI, we are active in the RYA and when they have a good cause, we get our side of the pond involved in raising funds, especially when the RYA needs big bucks. Go ask your yacht club.
I'm not so sure us Brits should be considered quite so poor when it comes to donating to charity.
I was trying to find similar charity events which run in UK and the USA, and I think Comic Relief/Red Nose Day is one such event.

In the UK, for the 2015 event, around £78,000,000 was raised (roughly $125,000,000.
According to the US website for Comic Relief, the amount raised in the USA was about $23,000,000.
So, either the Brits are more generous (much more so when comparing population size), or, we can organise much better.

But back to the four young ladies in their rowing boat. I expect they realise that lots of people dont like having charity events shoved down there throats, which is why there is not so much publicity for this kind of thing. At the end of the day, the main attraction is to take part, and to hopefully accomplish their goals (which they did)

Currently taking place is the Talisker Whiskey Atlantic Challenge, a row across the Atlantic, with teams from UK, USA, South Africa, Italy and Antigua, and unless you had maybe read about this in a boat magazine, or caught a snippet on the news, most people will be completely unaware that this event is taking place (some teams have just completed).

And, who here has heard of Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Worsley,
Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Worsley - obituary - Telegraph

He raised £100,000 for his charity, not a huge amount given the challenge he faced, but I would think his main aim was to just to be there, and to having made the attempt.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 09:44   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You want money?
Start looking toward China
We are. China is just beginning to look at sailing and other water sports as something other than what the very low classes of folks engage in. fish mongers, fishermen, and ferrymen(sailing included) are looked down upon, and anything that would "darken" a person's skin was considered forbidden by the middle and upper classes. Hard to change five thousand years of history.

Japan is different. Wonderful naval history, highly competitive sailing history, and a strong association between booze and sailing make them very global in their sailing interests. If you are Japanese, you also get other "fringe" benefits at your sailing clubs, but won't get into the details since it would make non Japanese sailors jealous.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:11   #41

Waao! great. Never heard before such news
stevengouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:43   #42

Quote:
We are. China is just beginning to look at sailing and other water sports as something other than what the very low classes of folks engage in. fish mongers, fishermen, and ferrymen(sailing included) are looked down upon, and anything that would "darken" a person's skin was considered forbidden by the middle and upper classes. Hard to change five thousand years of history.

Japan is different. Wonderful naval history, highly competitive sailing history, and a strong association between booze and sailing make them very global in their sailing interests. If you are Japanese, you also get other "fringe" benefits at your sailing clubs, but won't get into the details since it would make non Japanese sailors jealous.
Japanese made sailboats are perhaps the best made in the world. Certainly the strongest made.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:50   #43

So? America is a competitive society. You are free to make billions or just collect welfare. Your choice.
Old 08-06-2021, 15:28   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Political discussion, where not related to boating, sailing, or cruising is not allowed on CF. It's find to revive the thread, the ladies did well, but let's not go down the political rabbit hole.

Tags
Australia, cal, california