Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 09:59   #16

Re: Four ladies row from California to Australia

And to think we spend all that time preparing and worrying about crossing from Florida to Bimini and these women get in a row boat for over 250 days and cross the Pacific..
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:16   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
There was a fair bit of press in the UK, and they hope to raise at least £250,000 for two charities, not too shabby.

Maybe they did not want to turn their achievement into a media circus.

Yes, and just IF something happened and they didn't make it, there is a whole lot less crap to have to put up with.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:23   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
And to think we spend all that time preparing and worrying about crossing from Florida to Bimini and these women get in a row boat for over 250 days and cross the Pacific..

This type of boat should be familiar to those who have followed my posts, as I have posted pics of the same model while I worked on it before.And I can assure you, "simple" they are not. They have a ton of systems jammed into a small boat. Entirely reliant on the watermaker, for instance. Many of the same systems you would find on a cruising boat, with much less space.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:25   #19

Boat: Freedom 32

Listened to a very interesting interview with Lizanne van Vuuren today. When she was invited to join the team, she had not done any rowing before, let alone endurance rowing.
What an increadable adventure. You can view their blog here.
Blog : Coxless Crew | Pacific Ocean Row 2015
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:33   #20

Boat: Pearson 365

Is it because they are women you suggest that there must be a catch? Isn't it so typical of a man to make such a comment? Maybe you ought to beware of a woman with a very long oar.
Franst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
This type of boat should be familiar to those who have followed my posts, as I have posted pics of the same model while I worked on it before.And I can assure you, "simple" they are not. They have a ton of systems jammed into a small boat. Entirely reliant on the watermaker, for instance. Many of the same systems you would find on a cruising boat, with much less space.
I am not that familiar with that type of boat but in no way would I think it's simple. But 257 days at sea is a long time. I imagine they experienced every type of weather and problems you could and they made their goal. Very impressed.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:50   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes, honestly four people in a row boat for 9 months?
Had to be Women, Men would have killed each other in 9 months.
Seriously , there are very few if any people whom I could stand for that long, feeling would be mutual I'm sure.
I assume they couldn't even cover that thing, just have to stay out in severe Wx and Gut it out? Looks like way to much misery for me. Can't cook for months, nothing cold except the rain for months, nothing to drink but water and some kind of powder to mix with it?
Takes all kinds I guess
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:06   #23

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Either this is a scam or a tremendous loss of opportunity due to no marketing. They could have raised millions for their cause by marketing this event throughout the boating world. Would have been free press for them. So does sound a bit suspicious as to its being held in secret.
I really fail to understand anyone commenting like this. Nothing was held in secret, no, it was not a scam, and yes, it had a massive amount of marketing.

Just because someone has not posted on this forum does not mean some scam is going on.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:24   #24

Massive marketing? Not likely, or was a complete waste of monies. Am involved in three trans oceanic races and one around the world race as sponsor and promoter. Plus my yacht clubs post updated lists of various ocean races and record setting attempts(St.FYC and NYYC). None of the folks i contacted today ever heard of these women nor their rowing attempts. So much for marketing.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Seriously , there are very few if any people whom I could stand for that long, feeling would be mutual I'm sure.
I assume they couldn't even cover that thing, just have to stay out in severe Wx and Gut it out? Looks like way to much misery for me. Can't cook for months, nothing cold except the rain for months, nothing to drink but water and some kind of powder to mix with it?
Takes all kinds I guess
Bunch of guys just rowed across the Atlantic through a hurricane. Happy campers all.
Old 27-01-2016, 13:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
There was a fair bit of press in the UK, and they hope to raise at least £250,000 for two charities, not too shabby.

Maybe they did not want to turn their achievement into a media circus.
There was virtually zero promotion nor media attention in the US. If they really wanted to raise monies for their charities, one would think they would have tried to get attention in the US, and not some poor third rate nation like England. Should have raised millions, not several hundred thousand. Oh well, maybe the next group will have some business logistics behind them.
Old 27-01-2016, 14:36   #27

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
There was virtually zero promotion nor media attention in the US. If they really wanted to raise monies for their charities, one would think they would have tried to get attention in the US, and not some poor third rate nation like England. Should have raised millions, not several hundred thousand. Oh well, maybe the next group will have some business logistics behind them.
I don't go along with knocking the UK for no reason but the rest of the statement is fairly accurate.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 14:53   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
right... with enough "business logistics" one could turn a personal adventure into a media frenzy and make much more money... and loose most of the spiritual/personal gain from a tremendous achievement. I can certainly imagine why they chose not to do so.

I suppose that it comes down to their motivation and aims in the project: personal satisfaction in a great adventure, with the additional benefit of raising money and awareness for their cause, or simply the latter, with the rowing just being a means of gaining the funding. Commercializing such adventures, for me, spoils the achievement to a big degree.

YMMV... and it seems often to do so.

Jim
Old 27-01-2016, 15:43   #29

Boat: Liberty 458

Impressive to say the least.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 15:55   #30
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Takes all kinds I guess

There are small cabins fore and aft. Far from comfortable, but protection from the elements.

Old thread with some pics here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-95666-11.html

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, cal, california