Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-07-2011, 07:06   #1

Found the Boat . . . Now What ?

So I finally found a boat that is in pretty good shape, is actually for sale and is in my price range.

I believe she is a 1979 Columbia 28. That's how it is registered. Columbia made two types of nominal 28' that year (the 28 and MKII), and a few other types in similar lengths (26-27s).

I don't suppose it matters much for my first boat, given the cost is low enough, but how do I know for sure which model I'm getting?

I noticed the registration says COL 271NNN1979 . I don't know if that has anything to do with the make and model or not? I looked on the Columbia owners site, but couldn't find COL 271 as having any meaning? Though I'm 99% sure it is a Columbia as it has their signature bullet shaped windows and bump in the cabin ceiling.

Also, when buying a boat this old in Alabama, any ideas what I need to get? Title, etc?

Old 19-07-2011, 07:39   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Found the boat, now what.

You can google for an example of an Alabama bill of sale for a sailboat.

It can be notarized or, as an option, have two independent witnesses sign it.

Take the bill of sale to your county motor vehicle dept. to register the boat. There is no late penalty or time limit to register but I'd do it sooner rather than later. You'll need the hull ID number, engine model, and engine serial number, if I recall correctly.

Alabama does not title sailboats and only started registering them a few years ago. Mine is $85 per year and sales tax the first year only. Mine had a Colorado title but it cannot be transferred to an Alabama title as that is not offered or required.

This is my experience from a purchase a little over a year ago, and I believe it to be accurate at this time.

Old 19-07-2011, 08:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I can't answer your question, but in the excitment of buying please don't over look the need to insure it as soon as you take ownership.

Meantime good luck and if you have a moment post some pictures on here of her features and perhaps a member can help identify the model for you.

Pete
Old 19-07-2011, 08:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I can't answer your question, but in the excitment of buying please don't over look the need to insure it as soon as you take ownership.

Meantime good luck and if you have a moment post some pictures on here of her features and perhaps a member can help identify the model for you.

Pete
I'm guessing you're talking about liability insurance? Any idea what ballpark rates run for this? I tried to do a quick quote on a web page, but the boat is too old for that.
Old 19-07-2011, 08:26   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

liability insurance is inexpensive--around 200-300usd per yr, in most places.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 08:52   #6
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

You'll learn more from the Hull Identification Number, HIN, which you'll find on the transom, starboard side, near the top. If it's a Columbia, it will begin with the letters CLY, unless it was a kit version (Sailcrafter), which will begin with SLC.

You should be able to use the HIN to track down the hull number, the year built and the model. You'll find help on doing this on the Columbia Yacht Owners Association
Old 19-07-2011, 08:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You'll learn more from the Hull Identification Number, HIN, which you'll find on the transom, starboard side, near the top. If it's a Columbia, it will begin with the letters CLY, unless it was a kit version (Sailcrafter), which will begin with SLC.

You should be able to use the HIN to track down the hull number, the year built and the model. You'll find help on doing this on the Columbia Yacht Owners Association
Would this be anywhere else either? I looked for it, but couldn't find it, but I may not have been looking in the right place.

Do those registration numbers I posted earlier carry any meaning?
Old 19-07-2011, 10:18   #8

Boat: Tartan 30
Did you alreadybuy it?

The HIN could be on either side, near th transom, up towards the rub rail area, on the outside... It's stamped into the fiberglass.

I'm using my phone right now so I don't want to go googling, but you should be able to photos of the two models and find the differences. Sometimes it's just a different cabin window or interior layout... Look on sailboatdata.com too.

You can also look for a Columbia owners group and ask there.

I shopped around quite a bit for insurance. I ended up going through geico (under written by seasafe) because they had the best price and they gave me hull coverage without a survey. Do it all online... It wa right around 200 a year.

Isnitnin the water or a boatyard? Lots of work? Motor runs?

Congrats a. Good luck with it
Old 19-07-2011, 10:23   #9

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about liability insurance? Any idea what ballpark rates run for this? I tried to do a quick quote on a web page, but the boat is too old for that.
Liability on my Cat 27 (1975) $105 PER YR.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:30   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Try your auto insurer for liability. Can be really cheap. My 30 foot trawler was only $232 in Florida. Some of the Big "boat" insurer's were 5 times that!
Old 19-07-2011, 10:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
State Farm charged $400 a year for my 31ft Bristol. That's fully comp, not just liability. They weren't quite the cheapest quote (That was BoatUS) but it seemed to be the best coverage.
Old 19-07-2011, 11:35   #12

Check around your marinas to see what there minimum liability requirements are. If your not keeping it in a marina it's not 100% necessary, but it's still a good idea in case you drag into another boat, or spill fuel or something like that. I also went ahead and got a year of Seatow (about $160) just in case since Its my first boat and it's pretty old. I think I can unground myself in most situations, but since I'm too new to be sailing into a slip or something difficult like that, I just wanted to be extrasafe. Towing without it can be a minimum of about $600 and up from there...

Just take things slow and do whatever you think is right, you'll keep finding things to spend money on, so just do things in a one-step-at-a-time kind of manner. First thing is to just get the boat and find a place to put it for a bit while you're working out the other steps.
Old 19-07-2011, 20:12   #13

Re: Found the Boat . . . Now what ?

I've looked it over twice now in the water in a slip, and we've settled on a price pending how it sails and motors tomorrow. Will be buying on Saturday when the owner finishes his last week on the boat should all go well tomorrow.

I've been told it has an almost new main, and it has three good shaped foresails (I'll find all that out for sure tomorrow when we take it out for a sail).

Newer outboard motor. Find out how that runs tomorrow too. The boat actually seems to be in really good shape. No rot that I can see or feel. Needs its bottom cleaned and painted painted for sure though, and I've got to look at the mast again as it sits in the bilge to make sure it looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Did you alreadybuy it?

The HIN could be on either side, near th transom, up towards the rub rail area, on the outside... It's stamped into the fiberglass.

I'm using my phone right now so I don't want to go googling, but you should be able to photos of the two models and find the differences. Sometimes it's just a different cabin window or interior layout... Look on sailboatdata.com too.

You can also look for a Columbia owners group and ask there.

I shopped around quite a bit for insurance. I ended up going through geico (under written by seasafe) because they had the best price and they gave me hull coverage without a survey. Do it all online... It wa right around 200 a year.

Isnitnin the water or a boatyard? Lots of work? Motor runs?

Congrats a. Good luck with it
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51   #14

Well, did you buy it?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:02   #15

Re: Found the Boat . . . Now What ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Well, did you buy it?
Not yet, a typical land based problem popped up. I had an AC go out at my rented out house that I had to replace for the tenants (so big unexpected $$), and it happened the day before I went to pay for the boat.

If it's still available in a month, I'm going to get it, or have to find something else.

FRUSTRATED would put it mildly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: