Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2013, 15:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Forstay placement... Why?

Yes, the anchor roller was added, but I find lots of pictures of this boat with the forestay back like on yours. I think it is the original attachment point.

BTW, you never said if that was a slot in the roller. If so, perhaps a forestay did go there. Is there evidence of a chainplate on the bow?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 15:51   #17

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Oh for Pete's sake! You folks who insist that the boat was modified need to do a little homework before piping up. All you have to do is do a Google Image search on "folkboat" to see that they are invariably rigged that way, regardless of the builder. It was fairly common on other fine-bowed designs as well. I sit here looking at a painting of two 1930s J-boats crossing tacks on my office wall and note that both of them have their forestays set well back from the stemhead.

I suspect that -- regardless of rig balance considerations -- it may be structurally stronger on a boat with a fine bow to tie the fitting into a bulkhead set back a bit from the stemhead.

Old 29-10-2013, 16:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, the anchor roller was added, but I find lots of pictures of this boat with the forestay back like on yours. I think it is the original attachment point.

BTW, you never said if that was a slot in the roller. If so, perhaps a forestay did go there. Is there evidence of a chainplate on the bow?

Mark
No mark there's no evidence and yes the roller was added. Regardless I will keep it as is, works for me!
Old 29-10-2013, 16:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
Oh for Pete's sake! You folks who insist that the boat was modified need to do a little homework before piping up. All you have to do is do a Google Image search on "folkboat" to see that they are invariably rigged that way, regardless of the builder. It was fairly common on other fine-bowed designs as well. I sit here looking at a painting of two 1930s J-boats crossing tacks on my office wall and note that both of them have their forestays set well back from the stemhead.

I suspect that -- regardless of rig balance considerations -- it may be structurally stronger on a boat with a fine bow to tie the fitting into a bulkhead set back a bit from the stemhead.
Maybe your right? However the folkboats I've seen rigged this way all hade a fractional rig, mine is mast head rig?
Old 29-10-2013, 16:56   #20

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
Maybe your right? However the folkboats I've seen rigged this way all hade a fractional rig, mine is mast head rig?
Aha! Then THAT is likely the modification, not the location of the forestay attachment on deck. Every folkboat I've seen -- either live or in a picture -- had a fractional rig. Even the Wikipedia article on the folkboat describes it having a fractional rig as a defining characteristic.
Old 29-10-2013, 19:51   #21

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River,j/100 BJ

I agree this is a structural thing common to older fine bowed boats. It is much easier and stronger to run the forces from the head stay down to a strong point often with a bulkhead tie in.
Old 29-10-2013, 23:33   #22

The Contessa, which is a Folkboat derivative , has the forestay set back, and is a masthead rig. Also, to answer your earlier question. Even with a big hunk of chain in the bow, and a vane on the back, it almost never hobby horsed. _____Grant.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
The Contessa, which is a Folkboat derivative , has the forestay set back, and is a masthead rig. Also, to answer your earlier question. Even with a big hunk of chain in the bow, and a vane on the back, it almost never hobby horsed. _____Grant.
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 13:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
She's a 1964 whitby continental 25ft...
If it's a Whitby Continental 25 it was probably built as a masthead rig with the forestay attachment at the bow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	continental_25_drawing.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	70057Click image for larger version

Name:	picwhitby25100a.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	70058Click image for larger version

Name:	picwhitby25100e.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	70059
Old 08-11-2013, 23:54   #25

Re: Forstay Placement... Why?

Paul K, you designed a 40 foot radius chine boat for me back in the late 70s. Of course I ran out of money and never did get it built. I bought a fixer steel boat and went cruising again. Did anyone else ever build that design? Glad to see you are still in yachting.________ Grant Jordan.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kotzebue View Post
If it's a Whitby Continental 25 it was probably built as a masthead rig with the forestay attachment at the bow.

Attachment 70057Attachment 70058Attachment 70059
In appearance it's the same model as this, however it's an earlier one and has a few notable differences in built when compared....
This is also true of my hinterheoller hr28 witch has a skeg rudder and deck bridge, I've seen no other built this way...
However I do believe the front stay was changed on my folk.... This boat was a livabaord in the Bahamas so many changes could have been....
Rgds
Old 09-11-2013, 18:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Paul K, you designed a 40 foot radius chine boat for me back in the late 70s.
Grant: good to hear from you. I remember your boat, and no, one was never built. In retrospect it was a design that could have had wide appeal. After your project I designed some ocean going power boats that were built by Knight & Carver and a few sailboats, then got back into racing sailboats working for Nelson/Marek and later Reichel/Pugh. Now my sailboat design work is purely recreational, giving me an opportunity to develop and refine a non-conforming minimalist approach to sailing yacht design.
Old 09-11-2013, 18:51   #28

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The Folkboat's jib is relatively small compared to its mainsail (it's not a masthead rig). The designer wanted the boat longer than it would be if the jib stay was located at the end of the bow given the sailplan.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: