Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 12:09   #91

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
"the problem with a cheap US boat lies with where to put it, work on it, how to get it there and even the equiping just to get it there if it goes by sea, assuming its fit to sail."

You can always leave it where it is. most of the time you can assume the slip fee without having to move it. Or BEST to bring it around to a yard have it hauled and put on the hard. We're paying $5 a day for 3 months paid in advance in a good yard AND they accomodate liveaboards; bathroom, shower, etc. It doesn't HAVE to be a hassle, keep local to where you by the boat to make significant fixes, if any are needed. There are lots of folks out there and here who can help. Folks around the yard are usually helpful. Actually, our yard owner is a Scot and wears...get this...camoflage kilts! with matching socks!
Buy the boat spend a few weeks working in the yard, and splash her @$$!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:24   #92

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
fishman - $5 dollars a day!?!?, you lucky dog, i need to move to texas, $30/day down here min. i asked about a special monthly rate and no dice... so i dont think its that cheap everywhere
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:26   #93

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
fishman - $5 dollars a day!?!?, you lucky dog, i need to move to texas, $30/day down here min. i asked about a special monthly rate and no dice... so i dont think its that cheap everywhere
2 yards in Rockport, Tx @ 10 and 12 dollars a day normal price in the work area.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:28   #94

Here's another beauty...

texas boat sales - New and used boats & yachts for sale

Let me know if the link doesn't work. You might have to register to see it....

same boat no pix
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980.../United-States
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35   #95

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Now your talking. taking it a step further, are there any islands in the carib that are still 'owned' by French, Portugese, Dutch? Somewhere where as an Euro citizen, I could hole up till the job was finished, in the sun, away from taxes with a nice cheap/reasonable yard/mooring? I guess once the bottom is painted, prop shaft/gland and through hulls are certified safe and functionable its ready to splash.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:43   #96

And that happens at survey. If they are found in good shape, no rework needed. If not, it only takes a couple days and few hundred $$ for a bottom job. And get it done locally. Hell, bring her to me (or I'll come get her) and I'll do it for materials only (plus refreshments of course!). You just handle the yard and paint $$! this one's 3hours from me.

If you go over there aren't you going to be liable for the VAT,CE, and all that right off the bat?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:46   #97

Boat: 1976 CT-41 ketch "Dream Ketcher"
island living

Why Dutch, or worse French? What's the matter with the BVI? After all, the BRITISH Virgin Isands are....BRITISH. You can still be in your own country without being on that cold clammy rock your on now.
drivinmenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:48   #98

hmmmm

I can't believe I'm talking to someone who wants to live on a boat and yet doesn't know anything about the Caribbean or the Windwards. You really need to hit the used book store!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:49   #99

But the BVI are independent now apparantly, im but a stranger in what was my country, (even if it was stolen, erm, borrowed from the natives) A cheap Texas yard sounds ideal but as an alien, I couldnt stay there long enough to finish the refit and I sure as hell wouldnt want to return to blighty for a few months when i would want to be working on the boat.
Old 03-09-2009, 13:00   #100

I can't believe I'm talking to someone who wants to live on a boat and yet doesn't know anything about the Caribbean or the Windwards. You really need to hit the used book store! Yes and we all have to start somewhere. Maybe I should follow the time honoured traditional way of doing things like it used to be in the workplace when you started and stayed at the bottom for the first 25 years, hoping to get promoted when the person above died or pensioned off. Maybe I should go join the navy, get a row boat, go to night school for 10 years before thinking about acheiving the dream. I think after all that, I might just be too old which is why so many people these days just jump in to life, what ever it is and get on with it. We live in sin, have kids out of wedlock, take early retirment, dont go to church, act our shoesize, not our age. Its the modern way to get a life before we get too old and die.
Old 03-09-2009, 13:03   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
A cheap Texas yard sounds ideal but as an alien, I couldnt stay there long enough to finish the refit and I sure as hell wouldnt want to return to blighty for a few months when i would want to be working on the boat.
See? Folks have got you thinking that every boat one buys requires a complete refit. That is SO far from the truth. The ONLY thing you MAY need is bottom paint, IF that, or a stuffing box rework, or a gland, etc. You may be on hard a couple days and she's ready to go. Or it may take a month. You won't know til you SEE. Pick a few out, get a passport, take a holiday. COME AND SEE! Not everything is a worst case. Just cuz it's cheap dont mean it's junk! And US62k aint necessarily cheap! Do what's necessary THEN do the BVI Boogie!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 03-09-2009, 13:11   #102

From wikipedia:

"
The British Virgin Islands (BVI) is a British overseas territory, located in the Caribbean to the east of Puerto Rico. The islands make up part of the Virgin Islands archipelago, the remaining islands constituting the U.S. Virgin Islands. Technically the name of the Territory is simply the "Virgin Islands", but in practice since 1917 they have been almost universally referred to as the "British Virgin Islands" to distinguish the islands from the American Territory.[1] To add to the regional confusion, the Puerto Rican islands of Culebra, Vieques and surrounding islands began referring to themselves as the "Spanish Virgin Islands" as part of a tourism drive in the early 2000s.
The British Virgin Islands consist of the main islands of Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Anegada and Jost Van Dyke, along with over fifty other smaller islands and cays. Approximately fifteen of the islands are inhabited. The capital, Road Town, is situated on Tortola, the largest island which is approximately 20 km (12 mi) long and 5 km (3 mi) wide. The islands have a total population of about 22,000, of whom approximately 18,000 live on Tortola."

That makes you legal.
Old 03-09-2009, 14:50   #103

fishman's totally right

Like I said, there's a reason I got one for $2000. The boats he's showing you (and also the Coronado) shouldn't need much of anything. Take a holiday and come take a look. but look at more boats on your side of the pond first to get an idea what it is you're supposed to be seeing so you don't waste the trip. Then head for the BVI. For that matter, Fishman's post says there are over 50 islands in the BVI and only 15 are inhabited. Big brother can only see so much, so there might possibly be some options for foregoing some more red tape. Just a thought. I tend to take advantage of such thoughts when possible.
Old 03-09-2009, 14:57   #104

old retired farts

Fishman, how many years did you put in? I did 21. I've got an older brother who's a full bird in the Air Force, coming up on 30 years. I'm wondering if he might actually get that star before he retires. Too bad his ex will get a big chunk of his retirement. At least the longer he stays in, the less of a chunk she'll get percentage wise. She moved to Florida and established residency on purpose (alimony state) while he was in Afghanistan, and he had 8 days to come back to the States before heading for a tour in Iraq, and instead of her meeting him at the airport, a guy met him at the terminal to serve him the papers. Right after everything was in print, she moved from Florida to Pennsylvania. And people think Al Queda is a GI's biggest enemy....
Old 03-09-2009, 15:33   #105

8 years in the Army as 16E10 Ihawk fire control and Patriot/IHAWK integrations @ White Sands until Patriot took over. Then I got SMART and did 12 in the Air Force; Comm Construction til I blew my last knee then Meteorological Systems/NavAids (ground-based) til retirement (ASA mf'n P!!). Boy, do I miss it now....

"Her"
Yeah hows that for thanks! I hope no kids involved in THAT mess!

Tags
formosa