Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 14:03   #121

Boat: CSY-44, Waikikamukau
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinmenuts View Post
Why Dutch, or worse French? What's the matter with the BVI? After all, the BRITISH Virgin Isands are....BRITISH. You can still be in your own country without being on that cold clammy rock your on now.
just so you guys know, I'm a British citizen living in the BVI... it is most certinly independent from the UK and it is just as difficult for me to live here as it is for an Australian/Chinese man/Frenchman/American...
maybe "drivinmenuts" should hit the library and learn something about the caribbean and the BVI which is actually in the leawards not the windwards

It would actually be easier to go somewhere like st martin which is french and a part of the EU where I believe you can stay almost indefinitely without having to have work permits etc.
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 14:22   #122

Boat: 1976 CT-41 ketch "Dream Ketcher"
well there you go

now you've gotten the input from someone who really knows where to go. And yeah, I need to do some more research. So far my main effort in that part of the world is finding out that there are VA facilities available on St. Thomas for US Veterans, so I've got that one in my pocket. So
Anjou, what's the next excuse not to do it?
AFA stripping, I'd do it if I could make money at it. I knew a guy when I was in the Army that did, and he made tons of cash at it. I considered Gigelo too, but again, I'm no Richard Gere. And I found out there's no money in recreational gynecology either. I do on occasion wear an Irish National Tartan kilt though. Like next weekend to commemorate El Dia de la Commemoracione de los San Patricios. Big party on that one.
drivinmenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 14:23   #123

....he said as he admired his newly stripped wheel from his CT-41
Old 04-09-2009, 14:24   #124

...and waited for the Spanish expert to pop up and butcher his Spanish.
Old 04-09-2009, 15:14   #125

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
where theres a will theres a way. Je parle un pettit peu Francais. theres still hope. just need the right boat to fix up in the sun, live on coconuts and fish, wear a hoola skirt. Reminds me of the song......she wears red feathers and a hoola hoola skirt, she lives on just coconuts and fishes from the sea, with a flower in her hair, smile on her lips and love in her heart for me. Sounds like a plan
Old 05-09-2009, 07:13   #126

more photos

I just added a couple of photos of moving Dreamketcher across the bay and putting her up on the hard.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:34   #127
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if this is stil regarding formosa 41 boats--i love mine and despite the need for many repairs in these, they rock!! they are npw so inexpensive, if you find one you like--is definitely worth while--i got mine for 10k....and my engine--4-108---for 2500....so i am golden--jus thave to inject the not too rotty deckings and get rewired and new chain[plates and go go go go----want her in virgins asap-----if you guys are there or go there--we may just meet at some point------right now she lies in moorings in san diego-----but not for toooo much longer--oh yes---if these are left tooo long in water, thr shaft log goes away and when the cutlass bearing is in need of replacement, isd a good time to check that as well--i need both LOL..but she is still most worthy of my bux and brains....LOL.....as far as keeping a boat in usa and not residing here is not difficult --keep it on a mooring or on hard or marina--just keep up the money outgo-----rent......the marina doesnt care where you reside as long as rent is paid..LOL.....there is a formosa owners group in yahoo groups--is a good place for learning about the particular things the formosa and ct and hardin sea wolf boats need and have happen and the group is decent with goood folks.....isnt dream ketcher a member??.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
where theres a will theres a way. Je parle un pettit peu Francais. theres still hope. just need the right boat to fix up in the sun, live on coconuts and fish, wear a hoola skirt. Reminds me of the song......she wears red feathers and a hoola hoola skirt, she lives on just coconuts and fishes from the sea, with a flower in her hair, smile on her lips and love in her heart for me. Sounds like a plan
who needs the hoola skirt?? the rest sounds like a good one, tho!!!! skirt sounds a little itchy..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:48   #128

yahoogroup

Didn't know about the yahoogroup. Just signed up to join it. Thanks for the hookup! Gotta be a different Dream Ketcher. It's a pretty common name. Mine was named Dream Ketcher when I bought her, and I decided not to change it.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:00   #129

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Yahoo wont let me in. Im always having probs with my computors and connections. Something to do with firewalls etc. I only want it to work, nothing complicated about that but I just cant get into it. Grrrrrr
Old 05-09-2009, 11:27   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i got mine for 10k....and my engine--4-108---for 2500....so i am golden--jus thave to inject the not too rotty deckings and get rewired and new chain[plates and...
It certainly sounds like a way to own a 41 footer without (potentially) breaking the bank, but a 41 footer still costs much more to keep in the water and maintain than say, a 30 footer. For those with limited budgets the 30 footer might make more financial sense. A 41 foot fixer-upper is also no small undertaking for a first boat. Just throwing in a word of caution and playing devils advocate here.

...On second thoughts, when did 'sense' ever have anything to do with boat ownership?
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 00:03   #131

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
If it did, none of us would have one!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 15:59   #132
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
It certainly sounds like a way to own a 41 footer without (potentially) breaking the bank, but a 41 footer still costs much more to keep in the water and maintain than say, a 30 footer. For those with limited budgets the 30 footer might make more financial sense. A 41 foot fixer-upper is also no small undertaking for a first boat. Just throwing in a word of caution and playing devils advocate here.

...On second thoughts, when did 'sense' ever have anything to do with boat ownership?
if a formosa 41 is a first boat---omfg----gooodo luck---as a first boat it teaches you how to love boats and repairs LOL and exactly WHERE a boat can leak on topsides LOL gotta love them --or if ye dont love them, ye gets to HATE them fast ....LOL....i LOVE mine...isnt that much more than my 35 ericson to keep in water-- i am on moorings in san diego----is just more for some of the repairs--there is a 35 formosa on yahoo groups formosa group that was found might be a better first project boat---they are almost as big as mine LOL----
anjou--if the firewall wont let you access the yahoo groups, go to firewall and permit it manually if you desire...should be in the security part of your control panel ....i had to do that long ago.....for a sports car site i frequent LOL--goood luck!!
my formosa is solitary bird...pix are on the yahoo groups site......

btw--im on limited income ----LOL---sense--isunt that moneys????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 14:04   #133

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Anj & ....nuts,
Re: NY Formosa 41 for $30k

1977 Formosa 41' Formosa Ketch sailboat for sale in New York

Details from owner:
Eng, is a Perkins 108 and runs good.
Head Room 6''3' to 6''6'

Is she sea worthy? yes
Boat is in the water.

Yes, Boat is still for sale. Can show the boat, weather permitting.

Is there a survey available?

Sorry, no.

When you say 80% complete, what do you feel has yet to be done?

The decks, bulkheads and masts are all in good condition. The main sail is in good to fair condition. The storage hatch in the cockpit needs drainage hoses. Two foot piece of teak rail on stern needs to be replaced (have item). At Port Midship, piece of teak from rail to toe rail needs to be mounted (have piece) and a small piece up front (piece missing). Main cabin hatch at entrance leaks. One port hole has minor leak, needs to be rebedded. Booms are stripped down to bare wood, need to be revarnished and mounted. Have original bowsprit (stripped down to bare wood) that can replace current steal bowsprit if desired. Perkins 4-108 engine, runs great.

Boat includes:

8-10 person inflatable lifeboat, marine radio, hand held GPS, solar panel.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jalan1.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	9766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jalan2.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	9767  

Name:	Jalan3.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	9768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jalan4.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	9769  

Name:	Jalan5.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	9770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jalan6.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	9771  

Name:	Jalan7.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	9772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jalan8.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	9773  

Name:	Jalan9.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	9774  
Old 07-09-2009, 14:51   #134

Fishman

After initially reading this thread I also sent the vendor an email and received exactly the same reply this morning, which I forwarded to anjou. You will have noticed the numerous email footers indicating the same email has been sent to numerous people. You also no doubt noticed all the email addresses it was sent to! Hope this isn't the start of an influx of spam!!!

Did you ask any specific questions and were they answered in the email reply? The generic reply, with no name being given, doesn't sit well with me, (although a phone number was included).
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 15:27   #135

I was not that specific as I didn't really expect a reply. Anjou didn't get one so I didn't expect much if anything. A phone conversation would be more revealing as one can listen to tone and tell if he might be BS'ing or blowing smoke. I prefer the personal approach.

Tags
formosa