Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:36   #61

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Yup!

Well, this info would be helpful for others as well. I know I've seen quite a few boats with registry from other countries, so I wondered what was required on both ends to keep the boat here. I think I'll post that question in the "Red Tape" section.....
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:11   #62

Boat: 1976 CT-41 ketch "Dream Ketcher"
rethinking your situation

If maintenance is an issue for you, wood is the worst way to go. GRP is the best way to go, which brings you back to a formosa. Is there a reason why you can't shed your home or apartment (flat) and move onto the boat? Even with the payment on the boat and slip fees, it's competitive with and often cheaper than living in a flat or house. Seriously here, if you want to live the dream, money isn't much of a deterrent. And you're single and without kids (I've gathered). If you go the route I've taken, you can make it happen. I'm doing it while still raising two kids at home with another needing help while establishing his own life. If you really want to do this, you could actually find something along the lines of a Coronado 25 or similar boat that is actually liveable, pay $5,000 US give-or-take depending on the shape it's in, (and if you really are serious, you can find a way to get this very reasonable amount of money up front and get rid of payments altogether) move into it and only be paying slip fees (and no property taxes by-the-way), and start getting your experience while you sock all the money you'd be wasting on rent into a mutual fund that will within a couple of years grow to an amount able to buy a formosa. Particularly now with the market bottomed out, now's the time to throw money at mutual funds. I made a ton of money in the 1990's in mutual funds, and that was while raising a family on the pay of an Army Sergeant First Class. Not exactly upper crust income. Putting away about $300 a month, in four years it grew into $32,000 US. Money is not an excuse.
Consider the time you spend on household chores and probably watching TV or playing dungeons and dragons or whatever you do. Convert that time into sanding, varnishing and studying books on the subject from used book stores, and it doesn't take long to have a nice boat that you can learn all you need from and then sell it at a profit when you transition onto the formosa.
Happiness is not a destination, it's a journey, and in the case of what you say you want, it means doing something about it now, because if you don't, you might end up guilty of the sin of regret.
drivinmenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:25   #63

oh, and by the way

The photo I use on my posts is the pile of crap that I pulled out of Dream Ketcher the week after I bought it. It isn't aparent from the photo, but the pile was taller than I am (5'5") filled up the entire enclosure for the dumpsters you see it in, and was all soaked in brine and diesel. The exploding cans of things like oyster stew didn't help the smell. I raised the displacement about 8" out of the water just by getting all that crap out. You can see some of the photos I took during the initial cleaning in my album. I'll post more as the project goes on.
As far as the romance of the design, even in the shape she's in, people look at the 8x10 photos of her I keep over my desk at work, and remark what a beautiful boat she is.
Don't think about it. Do something about it. And think about this while you're at it. You said money is an issue, but you're looking at boats that will cost you tens of thousands of pounds. I know you can get something you can live on in the range of $5,000 US. I've stepped aboard several of them. For only $450 more than that $5,000, I myself bought a 25' boat that can be lived on, AND a 41' CT that I can fix up to eventually move onto. Put that in your pipe and smoke it for a while.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:40   #64

I would echo most of what drivinmenuts says. The phrase, "go small, go now" springs to mind. Have you looked at that link I sent you - boatyard pirates?
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14   #65

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Not wishing to sound defeatest but boats here, even the ones that arnt worth the light to burn them are still criminally expensive. I saw a Catalac 9m back in April. It wasnt fit for animals to live on yet the owner was asking 25k sterling. Its still for sale now reduced to 20k. The broker agreed with me it wasnt worth a light. but the owner cant see it. That inflated sellers attitude seems typical of other boats ive seen for sale here. I cannot imagin what I could buy for 5k US here, about 3500k sterling. Maybe a 18' open day boat, certainly nothing thats suitable to live aboard. Take today, its pissed down all day and its damp everywhere and cool, 13c right now. Lots of boats here arnt what I would call liveaboard designs, ......something you could spend day after day aboard in cold wet weather when there is not enough headroom to stand, no heating, no head with holding tank, no where to even dry wet clothes, all of which means your more dependant on shoreside services like electric, toilets and showers. Im realy trying not to be negative, just realistic, and I cant see how i can find a boat thats suitable to live aboard on my budget in my climate without compromising or losing a half decent standard of living and a few essentials like a toilet and warm dry bed. Life is so much easier in the sun.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:19   #66

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Buy a large houseboat and small sailboat ?
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44   #67

Here's a link to a Coronado 25 (my suggested boat from a previous post) for sale located at Hayling Island, UK for 2,800 pounds sterling. Add a SIG Marine / Force 10 cozy cabin heater that puts out 6,500 BTU's of heat for $385 US, and you have a warm dry cabin cruiser with plenty of headroom for just over 3,000 pounds sterling. Click on "Full Specs", and you'll find that the boat is quite clean. I just saved you 2,000 pounds sterling to purchase your new home with less than 10 minutes of work. Tell me I don't care, eh?

1973 Playa Visa Coronado 25 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=
Old 02-09-2009, 12:49   #68

correction

I saved you 500 pounds sterling. I was thinking dollars, not pounds. You can spend some of that 500 pounds on a water heating coil for your cabin heater and have hot running water too, and have enough left over for a flat screen TV. Or maybe some sailing books to learn what to do with the boat besides live on it while you save all that money on rent. Oh, and any decent marina where you choose to move to will have mail, laundry, and bathroom facilities with showers, plus gated security.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:53   #69

this guy just won't shut up....

If you go to yachtworld you can look for other coronado 25's to get more shots of the interior and exterior. On this particular boat, there's a quarter berth located in the port quarter (to the lower left of the galley in the bottom photo). That's the fifth berth, the other 4 being 2 in the bow and 2 on the fold-down dinette table. I suggest you sleep in the quarter berth and put all your girl stuff in the V-berth, or use the quarter berth for storage and the V berth as a Rumpus Room.
Old 02-09-2009, 13:15   #70

he's getting excited

Let's see, with the first months rent we've saved, we can get rid of that puny water tank and put in a decent sized tank under the cockpit and a foot pump for the galley sink.....with the second months rent saved we can put in a holding tank and a Raritan Compact II Manual Marine Head Raritan's most economical toilet. Great value in a low-priced manual toilet. Our price: $242.99 ... with out third months rent we can convert the ice box to a real refrigerator / freezer with a Norcold MRFT 60....with our fourth month's rent we can put in a dual battery bank and some solar cells and a charge controller.....with our fifth months rent we can mount a wind generator.....let's see, since the yanmar diesel it's equipped with has an alternator, that makes us independant of shore power, constantly dumping a porta pot, bi-weekly ice trips, and curling up in blankets on cold days and nights. Sounds like we can pretty much cruise wherever we want on the east side of the atlantic comfortably and dry in five months. If we want to get bold and sail further, we could always invest ina a Ventura water maker to make sure we have enough water for extended voyages. At that point, we ought to be able to start socking away money for a bigger boat, know how to sail, and know if we really want that kind of a lifestyle. All this in less than a year starting with a 3,500 pound sterling initial investment. Hmmmmm....
Old 02-09-2009, 13:15   #71

Thanks for the link and enthusiasm. I just cant see me living on a 25' boat that I cant stand up in or walk more than 1 yard in any direction. A solitary confinment prison cell would offer more room. You have to remember, when the weather is so crap for month after month and your confined to a space thats no bigger than you can reach with your arms out stretched, Its just not going to work for me.
Old 02-09-2009, 13:16   #72

prison cell? Obviously you've never been in a Coronado 25
Old 02-09-2009, 13:22   #73

I sound so fecking ungreatful, which im not and I marvell at your enthusiasm and I see your point, but Im also sceptical. Where the hell do you put all your stuff while your ripping out the sole boards and remodelling the boat? Remember, its either always raining outside or just about to. Where do you find the room to put all the bits and bobs like batteries and water tanks?
Old 02-09-2009, 14:34   #74

The happy skeptic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
I sound so fecking ungreatful, which im not and I marvell at your enthusiasm and I see your point, but Im also sceptical. .....all the bits and bobs like batteries and water tanks?
If you are lucky, Anjou, your skepticism may soon pay off. Several boats I've been tracking have gone down 30~50% since spring. They will certainly go down more and then get overtaken by inflation.

Skill in timing...
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 15:07   #75

When an economy is failing, reaches the bottom of the graph and then pulls out of the dive, there can be a considerable lag or delay in other factors recovering at the same rate, even if they all matched each other in the initial decline. I see unemployment continuing to fall for a while yet. We dont have a manufacturing economy anymore, so new demand for goods wont do us any good. We are a service based economy which will continue to suffer and take longer to recover. This affects the pound in the pocket, making it a buyers market. Im still undecided which market, UK or US offers the best opportunities. The dollar/pound exchange rate is in my favour but only if I dont import a purchase into europe where tax and red tape erode my gain. If i lived by the coast, I could be tempted next spring to find a fixer upper, gut the hull and refit. Trucking a boat inland to the farm, plus yard storage will eat into the budget. Lots of maths to do on viability of ideas.

Tags
formosa