Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2009, 08:33   #151

Boat: 1976 CT-41 ketch "Dream Ketcher"
oh....

I was only on my second cup of coffee.
drivinmenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 08:43   #152

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinmenuts View Post
I was only on my second cup of coffee.
Haven't had my first yet! Lucky you!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 13:29   #153

gutted CT 41

Was it on this forum or the formosa yahoogroup that someone posted 3 photos of their CT that they just got finished gutting? I saw them last week now can't find them on either site. I tried to contact the guy and now can't figure out who he was.
Old 17-09-2009, 12:46   #154

Actually, the Broker in NY never answered his emails. I googled his email adddy and it came up with several things on cregslist for sale, (motorcycle, the boat, I think maybe a car, and a bycicle), and one of those pages mentioned Virginia. I was guessing maybe he lived in VA and was up showing the boat or working on it.

The one in Kemah I had talked to that morning from the hotel and we had an appointment and he never showed up. I never got to meet Bill either, but I heard a lot about him from a few of his friends.

It was interesting that you said it got pulled under from the dock lines. The Broker and one of his friends told me it went down due to the packing gland. The gland was leaking and and after power died at the dock the gland took her under. I do know, it had to be more than just the gland. Two weeks before I went to see her I had a friend of mine from down there stop by and take a look at her. The broker said it was fine and when he got there she was setting on the bottom and being pumped out again. They told him it was the packing gland and Bill had to pump her out every two days to keep her afloat. When I got there to look at her the broker had told me she was dry on the inside, but again she had about a foot of water on top the cabin floor when I looked in.

The dock lines might have taken her under during Ike, but I think I'd replace that packing gland before putting her back in the water.

And yes the broker was working out of his truck with a cell phone. Ike did a nasty number on that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
...nutz: I think he meant the NY broker....

Beats me, he said he'd been away....(?) either extended vacation, jail, or military deployment.. I just emailed and got a response and evidently so did everyone else. Good timing.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 13:18   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinmenuts View Post
Was it on this forum or the formosa yahoogroup that someone posted 3 photos of their CT that they just got finished gutting? I saw them last week now can't find them on either site. I tried to contact the guy and now can't figure out who he was.
I think I had a thread on this forum about DreamKetcher asking about replacing the bowspirit. I might have post a pic or two of her on there, but I don't think I did. I'll have to go back and look.

I remember seeing one gutted out, but I can't remember where I saw it at.

I have posted several threads on this forum on project boats. The normal feed back I got was RUN, RUN, RUN. LoL

Does anyone know what happened to this guy???
My Formosa
Old 17-09-2009, 14:32   #156

dreamketcher stuff

Naw, the packing wasn't a big deal. If you look at the photos of her after Ike, she's nose down with water over the cabin roof forward, stern up in the air. That was from Ike. After he refloated her, there was a slow leak at the packing, but she'd settle straight down, but only an inch or so a day while the bilge right over the keel filled, and then slower as the water came up into the widening hull. She couldn't settle more than a foot anyway because of the mud under the keel. If I hadn't have pulled all the saturated stuff out of her that you see in the photo, I couldn't even have pulled her out of the slip. She sat for about a week in plenty of water before hauling out at the other marina, and didn't go below the boot stripe.
This is a keel up restoration, over 7 years, so I've got plenty of time to make sure everything's right before she goes back in.
Old 17-09-2009, 14:33   #157

oh, the other guy

who I was looking for is Devil May Care. He responded to me a couple of days ago. Thanks!
Old 17-09-2009, 14:42   #158

Alrighty, well it sounds like you're sure in for some fun times. I hope you will keep us all posted as your rebuild continues. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics.
Old 07-10-2010, 20:26   #159

Formosa 41 ft

I`m new to sailing, thinking of purchasing this boat any insight or input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance
mobilparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:49   #160
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
formosa owners group on yahoo became leaky teaky yacht club on yahoo and on facebook.
short of that--what questions do you have at pressent?? i own one and am refitting for departure. many times the alleged reputation gets to the buyer before the actualities do. mi8n3 wasnt nearly as bad as was prognosticated to me--lol----i hope to leave this berg this year--- next at latest.=-- BEFORE summer.
i absolutely LOVE my formosa-- toomany things that are good about them-- too many things to write. all overcome tgh e negatives. the packing gland needs to eb checked -- prolly is pink and neds to eb changed out. the cutlass bearing also--mebbe even the shaft log. after these are replaced--you will have a dry boat unless the deck has interruptions-- chainplate entries--btw--change out the chainplates also--make the internal ones external and have a good time. i am gonna back mine with an exterior one for safety as they WILL break as soon as i go to sea..LOL.....

oh yes--make sure the toilet pump is in correct position for dry potty--will sink these boats in 2 yes 2 days!!!!! LOL... and all thru hull fittings.... and...... dont forget the packing gland for the rudder and the tube thru which it travels--if on dry land-fix it now. re-glass ruder while out, if it is needing that.
storm water will also come into boat from cockpit. into the quadrant area and into bilges. i have to pump mine 2-3 days after a storm of any magnitude.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:18   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
... the packing gland needs to eb checked -- prolly is pink and neds to eb changed out. the cutlass bearing also--mebbe even the shaft log. after these are replaced--you will have a dry boat unless the deck has interruptions-- chainplate entries--btw--change out the chainplates also--make the internal ones external ...
... oh yes--make sure the toilet pump is in correct position for dry potty--will sink these boats in 2 yes 2 days!!!!! ... and all thru hull fittings.... and...... dont forget the packing gland for the rudder and the tube thru which it travels--if on dry land-fix it now. re-glass ruder while out, if it is needing that.
storm water will also come into boat from cockpit. into the quadrant area and into bilges. i have to pump mine 2-3 days after a storm of any magnitude.
Which helps explain the well deserved "LEAKY teaky" moniker.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:24   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Which helps explain the well deserved "LEAKY teaky" moniker.
might be leaky--but the sea gods developed tarps for us!!!!! lol-- now i can sit in rain and watch it pour and laugh--i love it--without tarps--is damp and wet and cold----oil lamps warm this place up rapidly ..and add to the ambiance-- teak and oil lamps -!!!!!!! (and creeping water around yer ankles-)-- relax--the incoming water is only a temporary situation--- you will find he source and repair and life is good again....is only a boat, after all!!!! i LOVE mine.......even with the small leaks-- the big ones are now repaired!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:34   #163

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Awww Zee. I moved on last year sometime and put all the yearnings for a Formosa behind me. Now ive got soulless steel under my feet but you paint a warm picture.
Old 08-10-2010, 14:16   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Awww Zee. I moved on last year sometime and put all the yearnings for a Formosa behind me. Now ive got soulless steel under my feet but you paint a warm picture.
soulless steel has a heart -- and warm woods are wonderful ins8ide the steel casing. make yourself a nice coccoon out of the steel with some well placed bits of nice warm hard wood and oil lamps--is a boat, mamas--- add wood and stir!!!!=instant heart and soul!!!!

if ye ever decide to run away from home to sail for a bit--i will be sharinhg sail all over the place--you are more than welcome to get a bit of formosa air..LOL...you gotta find yer own man, tho--i dont share, should i find one,,,,, somewhere......
Old 08-10-2010, 14:21   #165

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Im cladding every surface with wood. So far ive had all the hard, heavy and crap jobs to do but today I rounded a corner and the wood working tools have come out of storeage.
Bye bye sparks, hello splinters.

Tags
formosa