Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 08:58   #1

Formosa Boat Building Company

It's been a long while since I have used this board but over the past five years my wife and I have accumulated quite a lot of information on the Formosa brand of boats. I often come across requests for anyone with data or information. There has to this point been very little out there. We have accumulated boat design drawings, speck sheets and information about the yards and who build what and when. If you are interested in information about these boats or know someone who is please E mail us at
dgyoung_2000@yahoo.com please include hull number if you can. It will help further our history search.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:02   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i own a 1976 yankee clipper....do you have any info as to stern tube -- our 30 inch bronze gonnasinktheboat tube?????/ between the packing gland and th e shaft log/cutlass bearing??????
other than that-- there is leakyteaky yacht club, a yahoo group used to be formosa owners group-- are you with us there??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 09:36   #3

Different model boats have different set ups. The tube on my Formosa 51 is fiberglass. Some are rubber tube and some it sounds like are metal. I have seen failing tubes before. Rubber = remove and replace by half hauling the boat. Metal ones I have seen fiber glassed over as I think mine is. You build up a thick glass and rove coating as thick as you are comfortable with. Im not familiar with your boat so it's kind of like imagineering. The metal interior tube that is left would just slowly corrode. If the tube is already leaking you are going to have a haul out in your future.
Old 20-01-2011, 09:40   #4

Here is a great site showing Formosa models and speck sheets.

Formosa Boat Building Company, Ltd

Some information on Tachou another yard associated with the history of this style boat.

http://www.tachouship.com/history.php
Old 20-01-2011, 16:41   #5

William Garden Designs

Sailboat Designs of William*Garden

Hudson Force 50
Hudson Force 50, In Brief : Bluewaterboats.org Sailboat Reviews
Old 20-01-2011, 16:55   #6

hooyaaahh-- coool.. thankyou. wish they had a drawing/schematic of the sterntube plumbing!! i love these boats....
Old 20-01-2011, 17:38   #7
cruiser

Boy, I'd take that list of Garden designs with a grain of salt. I'm not sure Bill would take credit for some of those boats.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 17:40   #8

seeing a couple of them did me a double take, as the boats are not exactly of good repute....
Old 20-01-2011, 17:47   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Zee, did you see the drawing at the top of this page?

Paul Gartside Ltd.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 18:48   #10

i saw that--is the theory behind my packing gland assembly--wow--- ty--mine has concrete instead of deadwood, however--- this is awesome. ty.
Old 21-01-2011, 01:00   #11

Boat: William Garden Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
Boy, I'd take that list of Garden designs with a grain of salt. I'm not sure Bill would take credit for some of those boats.
It also seems to be missing my design. I have been assured by the builder Garden was paid for it and called the design Pixie. It was built by Duncan Marine in Taiwan

Cheers

Mark
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 07:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SariTimur View Post
It also seems to be missing my design. I have been assured by the builder Garden was paid for it and called the design Pixie. It was built by Duncan Marine in Taiwan

Cheers

Mark
hi mark-- saw ye in leaky teaky too-- goood on ye-- many folks with our kindsa boats--please can we see pix of her??!!
Old 21-01-2011, 08:33   #13
cruiser

There was a guy working in Taiwan in the early 70's called Bill Hardin. He was one of the people behind the CT41 with all it's various incarnations and names. But it was never a Bill Garden design. Hardin worked hard to insure the confusion.

Duncan was another one of the very early Taiwan builders who played free and loose with designs and royalties. It was endemic at the time.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 16:03   #14

Hi Bob:
Didn't expect you to post. Nice to hear from you. How is Spike doing.
Met you to at the Sloop Tavern a few moons ago. We are presently living on Formosa 51. Angelique . She has turned into a nice boat. See you on the water.
Old 21-01-2011, 16:11   #15

Hardin information

History
Hardin International Co., Ltd. History 07/01/2001
I am somewhat familiar with the Hardin 45's, having been an importer for the boats from 1977 until the factory was closed in the mid 1980's. My wife and I owned a Hardin 45 for about 1 1/2 years in 1980/81 and another for 10 years from 1990 to 2000.
Be cautioned not to believe some of the rumors that fly around about the Taiwan boats and roving Chinese families that built parts of different boats as they wandered from yard to yard. Most of the rumors are circulated by people who have never been to Taiwan or built a boat anywhere. I have had boats built in six different yards in Taiwan and China over the past 29 years and have visited dozens more yards in Taiwan and China. I have never seen that phenomenon. Every yard that I have worked in has had its own full time employees ranging from 75 to 200 workers depending on the size of the yard and the volume demand at the time. Work forces did go up and down with business, much like they do here in the USA in any industry.
I personally knew Bill Hardin and my wife and I had dinner with him at the Hong Kong Yacht Club in 1981, and then visited Hardin 45, Hull #100 which he kept for himself at the club in Hong Kong harbor. He was born in 1926 and studied naval architecture and engineering at Long Beach City College under Prof. Aldenberg (rated in the top 3 in the US at the time). Bill Hardin worked with fiberglass as early as 1948 and in fiberglass boat building in Japan in 1959. He died in the Vancouver, BC area in the 1990's.
Bill Hardin, Bill Crealock, Ernie Chamberlain and William Garden were the pioneers of Taiwan boat building for the American market. They were the ones who really got the industry rolling in the late 1960's and 1970's. Bill Hardin started the CT (Ta Chaio) yard with two Chinese partners in the Taipei area (northern Taiwan) with the original Wm. Garden designed Sea Wolf 40, the Sea Sprite, and the original Garden designed Force 50. He left CT soon after, taking his Sea Wolf molds with him. But his Sea Wolf 40 was copied by many yards and sold as CT41, Island Trader 41, Yankee Clipper 41, Sea Tiger 41, Transworld 41, etc., a very popular traditional ketch. The Force 50 molds were taken to Hudson Boat Company in the Taipei area, but the Force 50 was also copied as an Island Trader 51, Formosa 51, etc. This copying problem is why it was nearly impossible to get a set of drawings from a Taiwan builder.
Bill Hardin moved to Kaohsiung, Taiwan (southern end) and built a new factory where labor and overhead costs were lower - around 1970. The company was called Hardin International Co. Ltd. That is where he designed and built the Hardin 45. They built an all fiberglass construction and they were the only builder of the Hardin 45. The boats were imported at first as a Bounty 44. Around 1980, Hardin re-designed the hull from a 6'0" draft to 5'6" draft, trimmed down the transom and moved the two aft ports from the hull to the aft cabin trunk, and also extended the boat to 45’2". Most people do not even notice these changes. To avoid confusion, the Bounty 44’s and Hardin 45’s are all referred to by brokers as Hardin 45’s.

As receved in an E mail from another enthusiast.

Tags
formosa