Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 07:50   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Formosa 68 HIN HELP needed

Somewhere, on this Forum, someone gave a source for applying for an HIN, but for the life of me, I can't find that reference with the search engine. I built my own boat in the mid-seventies and documented it immediately. I guess we didn't have HINs in that paleolithic period. I guess I should get one, so, any suggestions?

OOOps! Found it: http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/hin.html
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:56   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

uscg does hin from reverse side of document paper. is easy, is legal, and is official, which is what mexican officials seek--official. they LOVE official.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:00   #18

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Thanks for the warning...I have found that everywhere south of the border it is a part of life to pay the mordida...It usually makes things go much smoother especially if you are a little "non-correct" so to speak. Hell, I have had titles (American) made here in the oficina fiscal to change a car to Mexican...They can do a lot for very little USD! I am Mexican now and still deal with it all as they think I am a gringo...Friends also help as you go...
Great info for all who come here...Be safe and happy
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:43   #19

i have been here 4 yrs now and never been asked for mordida.
i have been told it is illegal to ask for it.
i gather there is still a requesting persona .. i know in many circumstances, purchase of a policeman is important for peace in your 'hood.... friends have one in zihuatenejo, as they own a tienda as well as a home.
entry into mex and checkins (each port) with sailboats have been mordida free.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:00   #20

They hardly ever ask for it...they just hassle you to the point where anyone with any common sense knows exactly what they want...If they keep asking for different things, you know...when they talk in espanol of the street and you don't understand, you know...When you think all is ok and go to leave and they ask for something else, you know...Just have your Mex. friend pass em a $500 peso bill...about $35USD...lunch for most...
A quick note...the port captains I met in Altamira and Tampico were total gentlemen...In this capacity I was very relieved to find this. He will actually change all the papers for me when he sees the boat IN THE WATER...no sweat...I guess sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:18   #21

you do realize that mexico now does have laws on books disallowing mordida and is standardizing the regulations for entry and importation to make all ports same in their requirements.
this has been accomplished on the west coast of mexico and is being implemented along the east coast as well. is a slow change in some places and a rapid one in others.
be aware of these changes and prepared to meet sticklers in bureaucratic positions.
warning issued. life in mexico has been changing for long time with many spoutings of this change being implemented . it has come to be. be aware. be prepared. most of all, be LEGAL.
Old 02-12-2014, 18:51   #22

It's a strange situation here...I have no idea what it's like on that side but corruption here is the norm...not the exception. I don't know if you follow politics here and who PRI is etc. but here it is pretty bad now that the cartels are fighting over territory and things of that sort...there is no system per se.
I have been here 8 yrs. and have a lot of friends to help me with things so it is pretty easy for me NOW...the first 4 were not so easy. One other question...if an official tried to get mordida...a bribe...who are you going to tell? They are all in on the deal...I have even SEEN a "Coronel" shaking hands with a known cartel boss here...so who can you complain to...just don't get into those situations etc...
I was going to suggest for people who have a particular place in mind to spend extended time...go there first, get the lay of the land...make a few contacts etc...It isn't difficult to get an idea if you think it'll work for you or to go on to plan B.
Old 26-03-2016, 22:13   #23

Boat: Formosa CC 47, electric propulsion

Hello, I know this is more than a year old but have you found your number, I have a formosa myself and work and live on it in Ecuador where you bought your boat (Puerto Lucia), I know the guy who painted you boat "Rachel" very well, he showed me pictures of it, they have done a massif overhaul on your boat. If you want I can ask him if he knows something about the number.
Capt. Arnaud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa