Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2011, 07:18   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Foresail Sheets on Cooper 416

The water is port side and desiel starboard.

I removed the waste tank and pipes from below the starboard salon settees when I installed a composter. I left the raw water pipe and through hull and will put the water maker under the forward settee where the valves were and I'll put a 10 gal plastic tank under the settee where the waste tank had been.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 00:04   #17

That sounds like a good idea. Was the old waste tank s/s or a plastic bladder? Will that balance the boat up? What size are the water & fuel at present?
Seems unusual that the water is on port when the galley & head/shower are on stb? Does this mean plumbing is going back & forth under the floor?

Are the current water & fuel tanks only one of each or more than this?

On another matter, your rig. Do you have single or double spreaders? Do you have a single or twin backstay? Do you have an inner forestay & if so is it fixed or permanent?
TonyP450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 08:23   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's some of the specs:
COOPER 416 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

The waste tank was plastic, the desiel aluminum and I presume the water is as well. The water pump is port side aft of the engine and the pressure tank is port side cockpit locker. The hotwater is centreline aft of the motor, then galley, head and finally the drain from the shower pumps to starboard hanging locker fore of the settee.

Double spreaders, twin backstays, no inner forestay.

I have a Hood furling mainsail and a Perkins 4.154 unlike the sailboatdata info.

Old 26-04-2011, 23:15   #19

That all makes sense. Do you only have acockpit locker/lazarette behind the helm? Do you have a pilot bunk on the port side or is it another head? If a pilot bunk, does it have a door to enclose it? Where do you have your batteries & propane bottles located & how many of each?

Do you find the twin backstays work well or not? Do you have davitts for a dinghy or is it rolled up or stowed on the foredeck?
Old 27-04-2011, 20:56   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's a propane locker starboard in the cockpit, another locker to port and then the laz. Pilots bunk is port side and it's open and there's a cabin to starboard.

The backstays seem fine.

I've a rib. I either two or pull it up with a halyard and strap it to the foredeck.

Old 28-04-2011, 01:05   #21

How many & what size are the propane bottles that you can fit in the stb locker? Is the port locker the same size as the one on the stb side?

The laz locker looks very deep & should hold heaps. Is this the case?
Old 21-02-2012, 16:23   #22

Boat: Cooper 416

I know this thread hasn't had much activity recently, but I thought I'd comment on the sheeting arrangement on my Cooper. We have straight tracks installed parallel to the pilothouse and fairly close to it. So close, in fact, that the blocks have rubber cushions to prevent damage to the house when they pivot too far inboard. The lead from winch to sheet lead block isn't fair, so between winch and lead is a snatch block pinned to the rail, one or two holes aft of the nearest stanchion. I get a fair lead for all positions of the lead car, and the line angle on the snatch block makes the load workable. The only thing I'd change at this point (after owning her for 20+ years) is the ability to move the lead cars by control lines instead of pulling the release pin. Being able change the lead when reefing is a big plus.

Doug
dsteinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 20:30   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome Doug. Nice to have another 416 owner on board. You've had her for 20 years! Excellent.

What size headsail do you usual have on?

Old 22-02-2012, 05:33   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Doug.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Welcome Doug. Nice to have another 416 owner on board. You've had her for 20 years! Excellent.

What size headsail do you usual have on?
We're running a new (as of last summer) 140 on (also new last summer) a Profurl LC42. We also have a 110 which has only been on when the old 140 was in with the sailmaker.

Thanks for the welcome from you and Gord!
dsteinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:25   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteinfeld View Post
We're running a new (as of last summer) 140 on (also new last summer) a Profurl LC42. We also have a 110 which has only been on when the old 140 was in with the sailmaker.

I've got a 150 on that's getting pretty thin and have thought about going a little smaller. The 110 isn't adequate in anything under 15 knots I find but I like the idea of having a smaller sail. Unfortunately I've just paid for a bottom up rebuild of my 4.154 perkins so the headsail will have to wait!

How long are the tracks you installed?

Old 22-02-2012, 15:08   #27

Quote:

How long are the tracks you installed?
I'll have to check--they were already installed when we bought her in '89. I may not be down there for several weeks due to my schedule, but I'll get the length and position next visit. Once past early March, though, I may be there a lot. Last summer we developed a diesel tank leak that I can't pinpoint with a boroscope. When we fill the tank we're getting a quart or so in the engine compartment, then when we heel we're seeing some more until we've burned 1/4 tank or so. My boat has the galley up, and I think replacing the tank means tearing the whole thing out. The only other possibility is to pull the engine but I'm not sure the tank will slide out.
Old 22-02-2012, 15:17   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'll have to check--they were already installed when we bought her in '89. I may not be down there for several weeks due to my schedule, but I'll get the length and position next visit. Once past early March, though, I may be there a lot. Last summer we developed a diesel tank leak that I can't pinpoint with a boroscope. When we fill the tank we're getting a quart or so in the engine compartment, then when we heel we're seeing some more until we've burned 1/4 tank or so. My boat has the galley up, and I think replacing the tank means tearing the whole thing out. The only other possibility is to pull the engine but I'm not sure the tank will slide out.
I think all the Cooper built 416's had that lay out. One place to look is is the where the tap connects to the tank. Mine cracked when a mechanic was teeing off to install a furnace about 3 years ago. Sort of funny in a "wholly crap" kind of way. You probably need to dig out some plywood around it to see it clearly. The reason I suggest it is that the plywood traps moisture right there and can cause a problem.

Someone I talked to had to remove his tank and it's surgery.

Old 22-02-2012, 18:48   #29

Quote:
I think all the Cooper built 416's had that lay out. One place to look is is the where the tap connects to the tank. Mine cracked when a mechanic was teeing off to install a furnace about 3 years ago. Sort of funny in a "wholly crap" kind of way. You probably need to dig out some plywood around it to see it clearly. The reason I suggest it is that the plywood traps moisture right there and can cause a problem.

Someone I talked to had to remove his tank and it's surgery.
It looks like the trickle (when there is one, there's enough burned off now that there's no leak, plus we're on the hard for the winter so we darn well better *not* be heeling) comes from the forward end of the tank. I actually have some of the plywood bulkhead along the bottom removed from back when I had a different fuel tank problem so I have a better idea of the origin. However I'll check both engine connections as just like water you never know where the stuff might wander.
Old 05-03-2012, 16:37   #30

Quote:

Is this the standard position for the tracks or are yours closer to the p/house than others? Does anyone else have the same problem with the sheet blocks rubbing on the p/house? Tony.

Tags
cooper, cooper 416, rigging, sheets