Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 15:11   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Fore and aft traveler position - effect

The cockpit installation was designed to take out all the mainsheet loads. The cabin top was not. To do the modification satisfactorily, you will need to find out (probably via naval architect/engineer) exactly how to do that. It will be a complex, many step job, and it will be hard to accomplish well.

The boom could conveniently and easily be sistered to reinforce it, if you go ahead with it.

We lived with mid-cockpit end boom sheeting for 18 yrs. before we sold the boat. It was really, really strong. We had continuous cockpit cushions made that covered the traveler on the cockpit seats, and that made the difference for us. We were able to lie down and sleep in the cockpit, or sit up and read, in comfort. That end boom sheeting is really efficient, and ours, at least, was reinforced below decks, as well.

In case you didn't guess already, my take is for you to learn to mitigate the annoyance and not trash the boat.

Ann
Old 17-08-2017, 16:41   #17

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

Hi CFers. I don't know enough to make sense of all of this, I have to read slower. but on a smaller boat (25 ft) the double block is on the end of the boom. The PO called it the boom vang. and there is no traveler. I imagined a combination of both. As it dissects the cockpit and runs from strbd up to the end of boom, down to the port side thru a pulley, back to the boom and down to the strbd clamp. I find it dam inconvenient. Have thought abt the Endeavor 32 until I saw the traveler right in front of the hatchway, (suckage). But now am in lust with catalina 30, and the traveler on the coach roof. (Which is about the only thing tht drew my attention to this thread) Keep up the writing, everyone, Ill try to upgrade my public school education with more nautical terms. Thanks this helped.
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 16:44   #18

Boat: Easton Aluminum Catamaran

I have since found some Pasific 38's and one compass 38 (same boat, one made in NZ one in OZ) that have forward travellers. The roof is ply core so I'm not 100% sold, some knees and a backing would be in order if so.
chphotographic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 07:21   #19

Boat: Valiant 40
Fore and aft traveler position - effect

Early Valiants had boom-end sheeting, which was moved at some point in production to mid boom with three pulleys on the boom. I personally prefer that arrangement for cruising. One additional benefit is a longer range of motion, relatively speaking, for the traveler. Needless to say it's significantly safer in an accidental gybe situation.

You'll need to reinforce the coach roof where the traveler is mounted-- not a huge issue if you can access it from underneath. And your boom needs to be stout enough.