Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 06:49   #1

Boat: S&S 40
Force 50

Hi, has anyone some info on the good and bad on these yachts? I am interested in a Force 50 and according to the photos she looks ok..I am planing to have a look at her and it would help to get some "inside" info from sailors who actually sailed or owned one.
My previous yacht was a 45' medium displacement 'fast' cruising yacht with a fin keel and a modern underwater shape, however, I found the storage for for spare sails, anchors and a hundred other things was limited, especially under the cabin sole..very little room for bilge pumps tanks etc.
Anyway, any input is welcome.
Cheers and happy sailing
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 08:42   #2

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I have a Formosa 51, which is very similar. When kept up and maintained they are rock solid roomy boats that sail fairly well. Not real fast upwind, but handle heavy weather very well. They love a down wind run. The issue with many of these is rot. In the deck and house under the glass. If the teak decks and the structure under them has not been replaced, look at it real hard. There are a few out there that have been cared for enough that the rot never set in, but most need replacing in places.

These boats are a real pleasure for long cruises, we sail with 4 to 6 people and never feel crowded. Only need two to sail, but we have more fun with a few more.
Old 31-03-2012, 10:45   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Force 50

We have looked at two so far and Bob above said look out for rot! both we looked at were fine looking boats and would have fitted our needs, but the condition of the decks and house made it a no buy for us ! just be carefull and maybe get a pre survey walk thru by a competant surveyer, if you don't feel competant to find the problem areas ! Just a thought