Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-05-2013, 10:53   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: force 10 different on west marine vs the force 10 site

Dont get me wrong, a gimbaled stove is great if you are going offshore. I'm just saying the latch on ours was in place probably 90% of the time!...making it essentially a non gimabaled stove. One reason being the oven door issue. Talk about dangerous.... you've got things boiling on top, so you bend down to put something in the oven.... and get a boiling goo shower on your face and head! I dont know if the OP is coastal cruising or going out. For coastal I wouldnt worry about it much.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 11:35   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Dont get me wrong, a gimbaled stove is great if you are going offshore. I'm just saying the latch on ours was in place probably 90% of the time!...making it essentially a non gimabaled stove. One reason being the oven door issue. Talk about dangerous.... you've got things boiling on top, so you bend down to put something in the oven.... and get a boiling goo shower on your face and head! I dont know if the OP is coastal cruising or going out. For coastal I wouldnt worry about it much.
I agree, opening the oven door while the stove is gimballed can be downright dangerous. In my case, it may not have been a lapful of scones, but a pot of boiling water causing third degree burns!

The facility is, however, extremely useful invaluable. We would have been coffee-less today otherwise - swell coming onto the anchorage, no wind, beam on, tall coffee pot.

With numerous use in rough conditions over the last few years, without opening the oven door not one drop has ever been split from a gimballed stove .

Old 18-05-2013, 13:16   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

IMO, the stove/oven should be gimballed, AND you should have a safety bar in front of it. Sometimes, you might want a "butt belt" as well, I used mine a lot on our first Insatiable.

None of our stoves ever swung wildly around, must have been built with enough lead on the bottom.

Do have friends from Canada, whose stove is fixed, and it has a safety rail and pot clamps to keep the pots on, the rail's about 6" high.

Ann
Old 18-05-2013, 13:34   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
With numerous use in rough conditions over the last few years, without opening the oven door not one drop has ever been split from a gimballed stove .
Same experience here. Don't think it would be possible to cook in rough conditions without a gimbaled stove.

Another problem, if you are sailing at a constant angle of heel and try to cook on a non-gimbaled stove then all the liquid will run downhill and the flames will angle the other way so you end up with rice that raw on one side and burned on the other.
Old 18-05-2013, 13:38   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sometimes, you might want a "butt belt" as well, I used mine a lot on our first Insatiable.
An essential piece of kit. In polite company we called it a "hip harness".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
None of our stoves ever swung wildly around, must have been built with enough lead on the bottom.
I think sufficient weight in the bottom is the key. Guess I've been lucky with the boats I've owned. Stove always swung pretty easily, even in some fairly nasty weather. So far, knock on wood, never had a pot jump off. BUT I have almost lost a couple due to the oven door thing.

Glad this came up as it's been so long I had forgotten about that little detail.
Old 18-05-2013, 14:53   #21

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I would think most ovens would have a mechanism to lock them when the gimballing is not needed (ours does).

I had hot scones in my lap once opening the oven door while underway with the stove gimballed in my early days cruising. You don't make the same mistake twice LOL .
And I'll be happy enough to not have it happen once.

....since I bake so many, um, scones

It really is nice to learn from others experience, cooking can be such a challenge underway. Thx SL
Old 18-05-2013, 16:13   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
And I'll be happy enough to not have it happen once.

....since I bake so many, um, scones
We need to exchange recipes .

I remember before my first week-long blue water passage I spent numerous sessions learning and perfecting how to bake bread. I was soooooo disappointed to then find a freezer-full of bread on board LOL.

I made bread a couple of times during that journey (NZ to Tonga) just for the pleasure of it. 20+ years later the owner of the boat says he still can't smell bread in a bakery without thinking of that trip .

Tags
marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: