Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-07-2015, 06:22   #16

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: folding prop yes or no

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We have almost 2,400 hours on our Gori 3-blade folding prop and couldn't be happier with it.

Our boat has an aft cabin and our engine is coupled to a hydraulic transmission, therefore, getting the prop to stop turning while underway sailing makes our cabin much quieter.

The Gori prop has two different pitches, one theoretically for forward and the other for reverse. However, you can drive the boat in either direction at either attitude, which give a huge advantage when maneuvering in tight quarters. Want some prop walk? Go in reverse with the prop in the forward attitude. Need some very powerful reverse? Switch the blades to the reverse attitude. Gori refers to the going-forward-with-the-blades-n-the-reverse-attitude overdrive but we rarely use the feature.

Also, the Gori requires no scheduled maintenance, unlike many feathering props. There are some rubber blade stops that need replacing periodically, but it's simple to do in the water.

Not only does the Gori come with a prop puller but it costs less than many feathering props.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Hey there, I see we have similar sized boats and I have been looking at the Gori props for the future.. What size did you go with? I see on sailboatdata that the Contest came with a Volvo 75hp, what gear do you have with that? I have a similar Yanmar 75hp with a ZF 15miv v drive with 2:1 ratio..

Just curious as your prop would probably be in the same ballpark as mine.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Old 20-07-2015, 06:30   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarbx3 View Post
31' Tashiba and thinking about a folding prop to gain a knot. What is your opinion?

It is pretty unlikely that a folder will fit in the aperture of a Tashiba 31...

Old 20-07-2015, 08:36   #18

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
31' Tashiba and thinking about a folding prop to gain a knot. What is your opinion?
Max Prop +1

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-08-2015, 07:08   #19

Great article on folding props from Yachting Monthly. It includes approx. prices. The article is free thought the flexofold website - no surprise since the flexofolds come out on top.

http://www.flexofold.com/upload_dir/...onthly_low.pdf
Old 19-08-2015, 11:55   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

We had a 3-blade MaxProp on our previous boat and loved it. I really liked how it bit in reverse. That was a big help in docking and other close-quarter maneuvers. My plan was to get one for our new boat (just as soon as we win the lottery). But I like the reports on the Flexofold props.

Interestingly, I liked the large prop walk we had. It was a useful tool in many situations. Of course, it worked against us as well at times, but I liked being able to spin the full cutaway keel boat 360 degrees in its own footprint in tight spots, by backing and filling. That saved our bacon several times.

I think I need to repitch or resize my prop as I cannot get to full revs and have black smoke. I like that I can repitch the MaxProp after installation. I gained a more than half a knot and much better fuel efficiency on my previous boat by doing that. Can a Flexofold prop be repitched after installation? It appears not but thought I would ask.

Too many decisions, too little time, too little money....
Old 19-08-2015, 12:19   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post

Interestingly, I liked the large prop walk we had. It was a useful tool in many situations. Of course, it worked against us as well at times, but I liked being able to spin the full cutaway keel boat 360 degrees in its own footprint in tight spots, by backing and filling. That saved our bacon several times.

I went with an Autoprop, and I too miss the prop walk, it was a poor mans bow thruster, now that I don't have that prop walk anymore, I'm considering a bow thruster.
Maybe I ought ot just put my fixed three blade back on, way cheaper
Old 19-08-2015, 12:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
We had a 3-blade MaxProp on our previous boat and loved it. I really liked how it bit in reverse. That was a big help in docking and other close-quarter maneuvers. My plan was to get one for our new boat (just as soon as we win the lottery). But I like the reports on the Flexofold props.

I think I need to repitch or resize my prop as I cannot get to full revs and have black smoke. I like that I can repitch the MaxProp after installation. I gained a more than half a knot and much better fuel efficiency on my previous boat by doing that. Can a Flexofold prop be repitched after installation? It appears not but thought I would ask.

Too many decisions, too little time, too little money....

You can change the blades on a flexofold, in the water, without taking off the hub. When I got mine, Flexofold exchanged blades after I ran the boat, as I wasn't happy with the pitch.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-08-2015, 06:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I love my folding prop. It's so simple, and there is nothing to snag on ropes or weed.
A big advantage of folders that feathering props do not enjoy. Most especially, if you are in an area with lots of crab pots and such.

Of course, a folder has to be able to fit in the aperture, which can be a problem on some designs.
Old 17-10-2015, 08:55   #24

Boat: Beneteau 323

What about folding, or rather unfolding where there are lots of weeds? Our own marina has a fair amount of weeds but I was in one this summer that I couldn't power through them without reversing every 4 or 5 feet or I just stopped in place at half throttle!
I wanted a folding prop but that experience scared me that they wouldn't unfold with that many weeds.
Anybody with experience? Dan
Old 17-10-2015, 12:02   #25

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Quote:
My opinion is that you have wild expectations for a prop change on a full-keel boat. Though a feathering prop, such as a Max Prop, would improve performance.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 12:06   #26
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

We have almost 2,400 hours on our Gori 3-blade folding prop and couldn't be happier with it.

Our boat has an aft cabin and our engine is coupled to a hydraulic transmission, therefore, getting the prop to stop turning while underway sailing makes our cabin much quieter.

The Gori prop has two different pitches, one theoretically for forward and the other for reverse. However, you can drive the boat in either direction at either attitude, which give a huge advantage when maneuvering in tight quarters. Want some prop walk? Go in reverse with the prop in the forward attitude. Need some very powerful reverse? Switch the blades to the reverse attitude. Gori refers to the going-forward-with-the-blades-n-the-reverse-attitude overdrive but we rarely use the feature.

Also, the Gori requires no scheduled maintenance, unlike many feathering props. There are some rubber blade stops that need replacing periodically, but it's simple to do in the water.

Not only does the Gori come with a prop puller but it costs less than many feathering props.

Fair winds and calm seas.

I know this thread is older but I am interested if you have had any servicing other that replacing the stops.
I have a Gori 3 blade that has some pitting on the blades. I have been told by someone refitting my boat that it is totally worn out. I exam it each year on the hard. There does not appear to be much play in the blades when moved back and forth. I would be interested in your experience!
RDW
Old 14-02-2016, 12:46   #27
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

A quick note. We had our yanmar saildrives serviced under warranty recently. First question from the mechanic was, what type of props do you have. I told him flex o fold and he replied 'ok no problem, yanmar warranty will be void if (he mentioned a couple of other brands, kiwi I think and another) are used. Worth checking if warranty applies.
Old 14-02-2016, 12:47   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
My opinion is that you have wild expectations for a prop change on a full-keel boat.
+1

Since no prop will live up to that expectation I'd suggest to keep expenses low.
That means I would get whatever folding or feathering I can find for as little money as possible.

Here is a test (in German only). Takes into account resistance, maximum maneuvering power fwd and rev, top speed, RPMs, etc
The cheapest model costs 1/2 to 1/3 of the others and came out quite well, except on reverse.
Old 14-02-2016, 13:17   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My opinion is you wont gain a knot. But you will gain some in lighter wind. Do you most often motor in lighter wind or sail?
But the reality is:
- it takes X HP/windpower to get the boat to Hull Speed with your fixed prop.
- Anytime your sailing skill, or sail sq footage up, or wind speed drives to boat to X+ HP, the folding/feathering prop gains you nothing, as you have excess HP.

It's a bit like asking do you need 400 HP when 70 HP will make your car go the speed limit?

How much control do you have over your HP? A lot.
I like feathering props, but think about it.. especially for a $2000 expenditure on a 31 ft boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 13:37   #30

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I have a Bruton autoprop inherited from a previous owner. Very nice feature on the boat. Nice for sailing (previous owner said it added 3/4 knot on a 40-footer), motorsailing (feathers to match boat speed at lower RPM's), and maneuvering in close quarters.

Actually, I really like the lack of prop walk. We have a lot of current flowing through our marina, and I often find it easier to back out of the marina 200-300 yards, mostly straight into the current.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: