Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 19:11   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Foiling in Future? Production Boats with Foils

For those who love sailing fast, there is a new look in production boats. Following the example set by the Vendee Globe IMOCA Foil boats, there is a new design, production boat, made for fast foiling fun.

This boat is not designed as a cruising boat. But I think it will be a sign of things to come as more manufacturers consider foils as a competitive edge and we might see them being designed into fast cruisers of the future.

I would enjoy sailing on one of these. How about you?

https://www.facebook.com/BeneteauOff...67957219884520

The Figaro Bénéteau 3 is revealed!

Get an exclusive look at the shots of the first production foiling monohull in the world!

Showcased today at Nautic Paris Boat Show, the third iteration of the Classe Figaro Bénéteau one-designs will set sail in 2019 in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the La Solitaire URGO Le Figaro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1880.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	137498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	137499  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	137500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1883.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	137501  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 19:35   #2

Boat: O'Day 302
Re: Foiling in Future? Production Boats with Foils

So how does this and the Vendee boats work? Will that foil on the leeward side actually get the hull out of the water?
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 20:11   #3

Yup, load that suckered up like the typical cruising boat and all the foils will do is add drag.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:42   #4

I doubt it's meant as a cruising boat, more a racing/fast fun boat.
It's interesting that the foils are inverted as compared to the IMOCA boats. Perhaps they'll be less vulnerable that way. I wouldn't want to leave one tied to a pontoon in a blow.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:02   #5

Boat: Comet 41s

There are many small sports boats already, including a monohull. I have been posting about them on my blog.

There is the Gunboat G4 but even if it can be considered a weekender it is not really a cruising yacht.

The only cruising yacht I know is this one but even if the hull was made I never saw pictures of the boat on the water. It seems a very nice boat to me. Maybe a good buy, if they are stuck with the boat.
JKyachts builders of the JK50DSS - JK yachts

The design is by Hugh Welbourn so I am pretty sure that the boat will sail well. He is the father of the DSS system and has designed some very fast and successful boats.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:02   #6

It appears that those lateral foils are retractable so the 'coming alongside' problem is reduced.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 19:34   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

While foiling looks impressive, I don't see it being a practical option for an average cruising production boat any time soon. Sure you'll be able to buy production boats with foils in a year or two, but they won't make much difference to performance, just to bragging rights. The reality is that to get up on your foils (as opposed to having additional foily-things attached), you need an very light boat with a large sail area. The downside is that you get a very very loud, uncomfortable, scary ride... hardly ideal for the average cruisers
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 20:30   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Another foil just broke on the Vendee Globe. Not ready for prime time.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 21:31   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

well, it's no Westsail 32... another leap away from an adventuring production world cruiser to rich peoples' toys...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 21:42   #10

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Yep, foils on boats are interesting. Especially the Americas Cup boat with foils which tripped over and killed a man. Probably good on water which is dead flat and will always remain so.
Why in Gods name are we talking about foils. Dinghies sure, aircraft of course. Cruising boats? Or did I miss something AGAIN !!! ??
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 21:43   #11

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

And by any definition, Vendees ARE dinghies.
Old 05-12-2016, 21:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
well, it's no Westsail 32... another leap away from an adventuring production world cruiser to rich peoples' toys...
Rich peoples 'harbour' toys !
Old 06-12-2016, 05:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
While foiling looks impressive, I don't see it being a practical option for an average cruising production boat any time soon. Sure you'll be able to buy production boats with foils in a year or two, but they won't make much difference to performance, just to bragging rights. The reality is that to get up on your foils (as opposed to having additional foily-things attached), you need an very light boat with a large sail area. The downside is that you get a very very loud, uncomfortable, scary ride... hardly ideal for the average cruisers
One thing is a flying boat and there I would agree with you. Other thing is using foils to increase stability dynamically without increasing weight (with more ballast) and regarding that I have no doubt that will happen.

The boat I posted about is all about that, not flyng over the water. On my blog I explained how it works (search for DSS Dynamic Stability System).

They will be used soon in really big yachts and with time they will come to smaller ones.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Rich peoples 'harbour' toys !
Once they said that about high profile torpedo keels. Now they are used in main market mass produced boats.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

POLUX,

Thanks for adding more good content to this thread, with your posts above of the boats and comments too.

My View?
I think that watching developments in racing boat technology will always have some application to cruising boats of the future. Many boats used for cruising today were originally designed with some features from racing boats and marketed to people who wanted a "racer/cruiser." Whether it is use of carbon fiber spinnaker poles, or winch technology, or instruments, some developments will eventually find their way to some cruising boats.

Someone up above mentioned the Westsail 32.

Not every sailor wants a full keel heavy displacement boat.

Looking at what is currently cruising around the world today, it appears that most have gone with what was at one time considered "only suitable for racing boats" (e.g. Fin keel, spade rudder), and so it will go.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil