Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 07:08   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

Flush Deck Boats: Illustrated Guide

My Goal?
I hope this thread will serve to educate and stimulate discussion and knowledge about this form of boat construction or boat design, including an appreciation for the best boats that utilize this Flush Deck design concept. And, I hope you will enjoy learning about these boats as I have.

I am not paid by anyone to write this (I have NO financial connection to the owners or sellers of these boats). My writing here on CF is simply a labor of love as I enjoy sharing noteworthy boats. My motivation? I am simply fascinated by boat designs, and consider FD boats interesting as a design category within boat building and design.

Suggested Content or Focus of This Thread?
In this thread I will post photos and descriptions of boats I find that are Flush Deck (FD). This will be an "ongoing thread" or evergreen discussion that will contain examples of boats, links to information about the FD boat, opinions from owners of FD boats, photos of FD boats I find and generally anything about FD boats. FD boats are relatively rare, compared to Trunk Cabin boats, so you may see this thread get lost in the archives for a while, then pop up again when I find a new FD boat to display in this exhibition. I will continue to post what I find as I find it.

Flush Deck Variations.
One thing to be aware of is that some boats may have variations such that one year or model may have flush deck while a variation of that boat may have a small or low trunk cabin. Some FD boats will have a hard dodger and some may even have a pilot house with a flush deck forward of the pilot house. So, there is some flexibility in what may be shown here and discussed. As I view many boats, I will include boats where the boat design has some aspect of a Flush Deck boat, even if it is not described as such in a sale listing.

My POV?
I am not an expert on FD boats, though I have sailed and raced on some of them and admired them for many years. I encourage any CF members who own a FD boat to address the likely technical questions, and I will defer to their knowledge on technical issues. Consider me a guide or curator of the exhibition.

Share Your Experience and Photos!
I encourage any CF members to participate and to contribute to this thread. Feel free to post your own finds, your own FD boats (post photos please), your own anecdotes about your experience with FD boats, or anything you find interesting about FD boats.

Boats for Sale are for Illustrative Purposes
Occasionally I will post photos and a link to a boat that is listed (at the time posted) for sale, but I have no financial connection to that boat or any boat or seller. I use these photos and descriptions because they are accessible and pertinent. I am not selling these boats. I am merely sharing information about boats I find and I post the link to help others here on CF who may be looking for a boat like the ones I find.

I hope it helps others to see a real Asking Price for a currently listed boat, that is my primary reason for doing it (and because I don't have time to answer requests for links to where I found the photos or boats). I do hope if someone does buy one of these boats, that they will then post some photos of it sailing or tell us about it.

Just remember I am not an expert on these boats, my post is not an endorsement of any particular boat, you should always do your own research, and if it is an expensive boat have a professional survey performed. And as I always say: "Caveat Emptor."

Photos I Post are for Illustrative Purposes!
I post the best photos I have found of a boat type to illustrate that model. The photos will be from a mix of sources. So, even if I post a sale listing to show you a recent street price of a boat, I may be posting photos of that particular boat along with additional photos of sister boats of the same model but perhaps not the same year. These photos are to illustrate only. Remember that.

My Hot Topic Tips: Subscribe to this thread! Here's Why:

I hope you enjoy this thread and if you do, I suggest you subscribe to it so you will see the boats I post over time. It is simple to subscribe to a thread on CF, you simply use the drop down Thread Tools menu or simply post a comment (even a simple "I like this" will do) in the thread and you will be automatically subscribed. Be aware that also means you will be notified each time a post is made in the thread. That can be annoying if it is a hot topic. You can choose how often you want to receive email notices about new posts in the thread or you can choose to not receive any email notification at all. I subscribe to MANY threads, but usually choose the option for "weekly" notifications of new posts for special threads I want to monitor.

I think subscribing is a good thing to do, if you want to see new posts on a topic of special interest, especially if you are an infrequent visitor to CF and most especially if you are looking for a particular type of boat and want to see the "sale listing" notifications ASAP. I also use my CF Control Panel to quickly see which of my subscribed threads has had activity, and then surf to it from there.

I mention this because this thread may only see sporadic posting due to the more rare nature of the topic boats.

And as I have learned while looking for relatively rare boats, if one is in the market for a rare boat, it is smart to be notified and aware of newly listed boats as soon as possible! The best opportunities go fast, and I have missed more than a few outstanding boats because I was too late in the buying process (others learned about the boat before me .comand acted before I could).

Fair winds to all!
Old 07-11-2016, 07:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

What is a Flush Deck Boat?

I am sure you will find many descriptions online. My simple definition is:

"A boat where most of the deck forward of the cockpit is relatively flush or flat and there is no large trunk cabin."

As mentioned earlier, some Flush Deck (FD) boats may have a hard dodger or a low trunk cabin or Wheel House, or even a relatively large Pilot House on deck. So, there are some boats that push the boundaries of a definition.

Why have a Flush Deck?

1. Maximize interior space or volume.

This can be very important on smaller boats, but is also seen as advantageous on larger boats too. This is particularly appreciated by sailors who liveaboard or cruise extensively.

2. Keep the deck clean and free of obstructions to sail or gear handling.

Racing boats often have a Flush Deck to allow their crews to work efficiently and safely while changing head sails.

Some traditional boats have flush decks to accommodate a dinghy or other gear on deck.

Some cruisers prefer a Flush Deck so they may keep a dinghy on deck, but in a lower position on deck.

3. Allow Green Water to be shed off the boat more easily, increasing safety in heavy weather.

This probably originated as a way of designing a more "seaworthy" boat that could shed green water during heavy weather. Colin Archer designed or influenced boats, themselves designed originally to be very seaworthy boats used in even the most extreme conditions) often have a Flush Deck.

Some racing and "blue water" cruising boats feature flush decks for these reasons. Examples include the latest high tech IMOCA race boats and many others. If you watch a video of the fast IMOCA boats sailing, you will often see the green water rushing over and off the boat deck as it pierces waves at high speed.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Steve Dashew BEOWULF

LOA = 78'
ALUMINUM

This is what some consider one of the most noteworthy and "ultimate" cruising boats. Designed by Steve Dashew to be sailed by a couple (he and Linda, his wife) and to have outstanding performance and very comfortable and safe features. It is remarkable that such a large boat was succesfully cruised for many miles by a couple. It broke many boundaries of what was considered possible at the time.

There is extensive information about BEOWULF on the Dashew website, including many photos of it. I will post a few photos here to illustrate what many consider an admirable boat that is designed with a Flush Deck.

SetSail FPB » Blog Archive » Beowulf: The Ultimate Short-Handed Cruiser-Updated March 2014

You can learn about Dashew's other boat designs (also FD boats) via this link: http://www.setsail.com/details/

Steady's NOTES:
Notice this boat has a rather large Hard Dodger (or a partially enclosed pilot house) where the Dashews will sit while on watch, using a remote control to adjust the helm.

Each of Steve Dashew's significant sailboat designs (SUNDEER, DEERFOOT, BEOWULF) have had a Flush Deck.

Dashew writes about this in his book "Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia" and describes his view of why he prefers a FD. You can read a free copy of that book via this link. I highly recommend that book, and I read it cover to cover many years ago (1989) and enjoyed it immensely. It is full of insights into cruising boat design and gear. It is one of three free books that Dashew has made available for download. Highly Recommended!

http://www.setsail.com/free-books/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	135294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	135295  

Name:	IMG_1276.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	135296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1274.JPG
Views:	714
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	135297  

Name:	IMG_1275.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	135298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1277.JPG
Views:	717
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	135299  

Old 07-11-2016, 07:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CAL 25

"As every sailor will tell you, having a well sealed deck is important."

I raced double handed on a CAL 25 in San Francisco Bay.

The Flush Deck on a small boat like this can provide more headroom in the small boat, making it more comfortable below. But, it also allows for safer work on the foredeck, as oftentimes small boats with trunk cabins have very narrow decks and small foredecks. This was particularly important in the days before roller furling became popular.

I am posting this humorous photo for a bit of levity, but also to show how a Flush Deck can be a great place for lounging, by a weary crew, sunbathers, or others.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1270.JPG
Views:	1146
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	135300  
Old 07-11-2016, 08:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Van de Stadt STARON 39

Built by Royal Huisman 39 Sloop 1971 ALUMINUM

More photo and information about this boat are found in a sister thread on CF "Outstanding Boats" here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2250203
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1051.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	135301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1053.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	135302  

Name:	IMG_1047.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	135303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1278.JPG
Views:	681
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	135304  

Old 07-11-2016, 08:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bowman 44 Corsair 1982

More info and a link to this boat found in Outstanding Boats (CF thread) Post #21
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2250752
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1279.JPG
Views:	1399
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	135305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	135306  

Old 07-11-2016, 08:22   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

While this is not a FD boat, strictly speaking, it does have a very clear deck forward of a low Pilothouse. Look how nice and clean that foredeck is.

DuFour 12000CT

More photos and info in Outstanding Boats thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2250951
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1281.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	135319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG
Views:	567
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	135320  

Old 07-11-2016, 08:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One Off Flush Deck Cold Moulded

More info on this boat in Outstanding Boats
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2251733
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1283.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	135321  
Old 07-11-2016, 10:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Stone Horse 23

Steady's NOTES:
I first saw these boats sailing when I was racing on San Francisco Bay. They were eyecatching because of their distinctive Flush Deck, portlights, and paint schemes. I admired them, and heard a lot of good things about them.

Here is a brief introduction to this Classic Flush Deck boat that has many fans.
I will include some links to two reviews of this design, and I am sure if you do some searching on the net you will find much more written about them.

While some may not find them "pretty" as boats, I think a boat's beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, and sometimes a functional design is elegant for simplicity, and can be considered another type of beauty.

When I look at these sailing, I admire them. When I look at them in large photos, I admire them. I only regret I have not yet had a chance to sail on one yet, but I hope to change that in the future (Anyone have one I can sail on?). I think they look distinctive and well designed for a small boat. They are a classic.

Some were built in wood (40), some in GRP (150) or Fiberglass.

This small boat has a Vberth and could be used as a "pocket cruiser" but be aware the headroom is at most 48" so it is a bit cramped in the cabin. It does have a large cockpit, so is better suited for day sailing. Most have a bowsprit and boomkin.

Reviews:
Stone Horse 23 Sailboat Review | Cruising World

BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Stone Horse 23
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1300.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	135328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1287.JPG
Views:	582
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	135329  

Name:	IMG_1288.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	135330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	135331  

Name:	IMG_1290.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	135332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1291.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	135333  

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG
Views:	612
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	135334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	135335  

Name:	IMG_1295.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	135336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	135337  

Name:	IMG_1298.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	135338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	135339  

Old 07-11-2016, 11:08   #10

Boat: Carena 40

As the owner of a Flush Deck boat, I enjoy this thread. We have a 1980 Carena 40. With a standing headroom of 2.10 meters, I always like to say that she is designed and built by the Dutch for the Dutch.

A beautiful round hull that many cannot believe is made from steel. A long and deep keel with 12 ton displacement, provides for a steady sail. The ketch rig is ideal for us as cruisers being to have many sail configuration options.

Mostly I love the flush deck being able to walk and work on the foredeck without extra obstacles.

Make My Day is currently in the hall for winter maintenance. She will get new cockpit seats, a bottom job, new paint on the topsides and new standing rigging. We just bought her last year and doing some long needed maintenance. After chartering for many years, this is our first boat and we couldn't be more satisfied.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151219_142439.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	135342   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160427_185030.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	135343  

Name:	SAM_4816.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	135344  
Make_My_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:08   #11

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

The Hallberg Rassy 49 is one of my favorites:

1985 Hallberg-Rassy 49 Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Name:	HR49ketch.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	135345
Old 07-11-2016, 11:13   #12

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

May I suggest you add the Kadey Krogen 38 cutter to your listing of flush deck boats.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:47   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At the kind suggestion of my friend UNCIVILIZED, I am going to paste in some comments he made on the topic of Flush Deck boats. I am doing this with his permission and suggestion. Some of the comments are related to another boat (Swan) but some will apply to most FD boats.

UNCIVILIZED wrote:
Moving around on deck, & doing sail handling, etc. is a LOT easier. As is "tuning" the position of your deck gear. Such as finding a spot to build a chainlocker which ISN'T in the bow, & thus Bad Juju for the boat's handling. Or having room on deck for your "toys".
They're honestly my preference.

The downsides can be; Visibility & Lighting. As, unless you get something like an Ericson 39, or a Sundeer, with windows built into the cabin sides, then you have to go on deck in order to see anything.
And that's hard on some folks, especially those with weak stomachs.

Albeit, adding your own/more hull windows is an option. But you've gotta' keep up on the maintenance on their seals. Plus, they add a touch of drag. Though nothing worth fretting over, unless you're match racing.

But with a few deck hatches, & a couple of prisims or deadlights set into the deck, the lighting is actually quite good down below. And yeah, they feel pretty spacious as compared to boats with coach houses of the same size.

I LOVE those older Swans, & have done some Incredible racing, cruising, & deliveries in them. And would snap a good one up in a heartbeat.
You might want to look at ones which have had several taller masts added, as the S&S era Swans were heavy for the amount of sail area which they had. And much of their light weather performance depends overly, on jibs which overlap heavily.

Like I prefer to sail at windspeed, or 2/3 of it all the way down to 5kts or less. And my rule of thumb to be able to do that is to shoot ffor an SADR of 25, with your light air canvas... meaning, the upwind type.
Which, even on a heavy Swan, is doable, with a roachy main & a Code 0. And or a detachable sprit, for a light air jib that you have a sailmaker sew a Kevlar/Vectran/Spectra luff rope or tape into/onto. It's a simple job to do/have done to a light #1.

The only drawback on some of those Swans, is the companionway. As basically there isn't one. There's pretty much just a sliding hatch set into the deck, with a grab bar on either side of it.
Which can make entry/egress in heavy weather a much more physical chore. And require a lot more upper body strength & balance.

Plus, it's a good bit harder to seal the hatch completely. Be it via coamings & the hatch's build in rails. Or, via a dodger. Which can be tough, to impossible to rig on such boats. And best, you can do something akin to a pram hood, or a solid version of same.
Though Ann T. & Jim Cate came up with a good hard dodger on their flush decker, so it's possible. And I've got a few links & tips if you get to that point & get stuck/want more info.

Thus, protection for the helmsman is a bit tougher to come by. But you can sit under the pram hood & steer with the AP remote. When she really needs "a hand on the wheel" in the bad stuff. Though they're enough of a dream to helm when it's like that, that often, you wind up reveling in it... for a while anyway, depending on the Sea temp.

Bottom line: IMO, if the boat's solid, & the price fits, snag one. They'll always be classics... for a reason. And they handle weather with aplomb. Especially as compared to 90%+ of everything else.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:50   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
As the owner of a Flush Deck boat, I enjoy this thread. We have a 1980 Carena 40. With a standing headroom of 2.10 meters, I always like to say that she is designed and built by the Dutch for the Dutch.

A beautiful round hull that many cannot believe is made from steel. A long and deep keel with 12 ton displacement, provides for a steady sail. The ketch rig is ideal for us as cruisers being to have many sail configuration options.

Mostly I love the flush deck being able to walk and work on the foredeck without extra obstacles.

Make My Day is currently in the hall for winter maintenance. She will get new cockpit seats, a bottom job, new paint on the topsides and new standing rigging. We just bought her last year and doing some long needed maintenance. After chartering for many years, this is our first boat and we couldn't be more satisfied.
Nice post and nice boat!

I have been researching boats in the Netherlands and am often impressed by what I find. I have a few FD Dutch built boats in my files and will post them here too.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion with your photos and experience.

Please feel free to add more FD boats you may see too.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:01   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundOfSilence View Post
They are impressive!

Good boat choice. I will move it up in the FD queue and post today.

Tags
deck