Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 17:41   #91

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

Quote:
"
Allsmoke features a 6.96 metre beam as well as a lifting keel, which means that her draft can be reduced from 5.8 metres to 3.8 metres, making shallow anchorages more easily accessible without deploying the tender. Key features include a detachable bowsprit that can reduce the LOA to 26.5 metres.
Ain't perspective funny! 3.8 meter draft making shallow anchorages accessible...

Jim
Old 11-11-2016, 17:56   #92
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ain't perspective funny! 3.8 meter draft making shallow anchorages accessible...

Jim
Yep! I chuckled when I read that line in the article.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 02:06   #93

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Southern Wind (Custom)

Yacht = "ALLSMOKE"

LOA = 27.5 meters

Just Launched NOVEMBER 2017.
Southern Wind launches custom sailing yacht Allsmoke | Boat International
"...Auxiliary power comes from a 190hp Steyr SE196 E35 engine..."

I'm feeling a bit better about our 96 HP Nissan after reading that.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:00   #94

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

My boat is Australian built, designed by Bruce Harris, and based on a Norwegian hull design. Some may call it a raised deck, or it could be a flush deck, but whichever way you look at it there aren't many trip hazards up forward.

These boats were originally built as a full displacement hull motor cruiser, with about 100 of them produced. Mine is one of three motor sailers built just before the company closed down. (the Scout 30 also had 3 motorsailer versions built) Mine has a gaff rigged main and a self tacking club footed jib. Very easy to handle single handed.

She has a full length keel, with 3' 6' draft. The hull design is somewhat tender in a beam sea, but this is addressed with bilge keels, and with the sails on this version.

With only 300 square feet of sail area, she is certainly not a racer. I end up cruising under power 25% of the time, motorsailing 50%, and under sail alone 25% of the time.
I love the pilothouse, with great 360 degree vision, comfortable and dry year round.
It's not for everyone but it certainly works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8331.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	135921   Click image for larger version

Name:	535243_10203950707246817_1378059892304730926_n-1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	135922  

Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:40   #95

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Subscribing
Old 12-11-2016, 04:49   #96

Boat: Comet 41s

Beautiful boat, as almost all Southern wind and in what regards flush deck the new mixes with old. It is something that did not come out of fashion since having the less possible windage is a sailing advantage.

Among the modern ones I like particularly this last one. It is a Mills design and it looks way bigger than the 62ft it has and if you think it is only a racing boat, just look at the interior!!!

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:08   #97
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
My boat is Australian built, designed by Bruce Harris, and based on a Norwegian hull design. Some may call it a raised deck, or it could be a flush deck, but whichever way you look at it there aren't many trip hazards up forward.

These boats were originally built as a full displacement hull motor cruiser, with about 100 of them produced. Mine is one of three motor sailers built just before the company closed down. (the Scout 30 also had 3 motorsailer versions built) Mine has a gaff rigged main and a self tacking club footed jib. Very easy to handle single handed.

She has a full length keel, with 3' 6' draft. The hull design is somewhat tender in a beam sea, but this is addressed with bilge keels, and with the sails on this version.

With only 300 square feet of sail area, she is certainly not a racer. I end up cruising under power 25% of the time, motorsailing 50%, and under sail alone 25% of the time.
I love the pilothouse, with great 360 degree vision, comfortable and dry year round.
Thanks for adding that good description and photos of your boat.
It is an unusual design I had not seen before.

That is a good thing about an illustrated thread like this, we get exposed to new or seldom seen or rare designs.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:14   #98
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

POLUX,
Thanks for continuing to add more photos and comments to this thread.
I had thought of addding some similar, but you beat me to it!

As for that Mills boat (last Up above) I like the looks on the exterior, and the light colored interior is nice.

I am not against modern design.

But, those black counter tops and table top with their sharp pointed corners would be murder on Crew in a seaway! Ouch! Imagine getting thrown into one of those while the boat is sailing and heeled.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:24   #99

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
POLUX,
Thanks for continuing to add more photos and comments to this thread.
I had thought of addding some similar, but you beat me to it!

As for that Mills boat (last Up above) I like the looks on the exterior, and the light colored interior is nice.

I am not against modern design.

But, those black counter tops and table top with their sharp pointed corners would be murder on Crew in a seaway! Ouch! Imagine getting thrown into one of those while the boat is sailing and heeled.
What? Did you want them functional besides beautiful? They were designed by some top design firm that doesn't know much about sailing but certainly can make a modern very nice looking interior.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:16   #100

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

This thread is about Flush deck that is not the same as raised deck. This boat that you posted the link is not a flushed deck, it is a pilot house boat (and a motorsailer), a nice one.

The definition of flushed deck is this: "Flush deck is a term in naval architecture. It can refer to any deck of a ship which is continuous from stem to stern"
This is what really is even if the term is used also regarding sailboats that have very small variation from stem to stern and in sailboats normally the cockpit is not considered on the variation. If we wanted to be absolutely rigorous a flush deck would be this:
While it's true that this thread is titled flush deck several raised deck boats have been included. Pilot houses & raised decks are not mutually exclusive. Actually it's common for raised deck boats to have pilot houses although it is true that they are typically motor cruisers. The Gatsby ketch pictured above is an example of a raised deck motorsailer, a boat I have lusted after for a while now. So many boats, so little dock space.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:29   #101

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:

That is a cool boat! I've often dreamed of adding a sailing rig to my Scout 30 but retrofitting would be complicated & expensive. If I did I'd want to add bilge keels similar to yours which would also help mitigate the rolling, the
bane of full displacement trawlers. Do you have any pictures of your boat out of the water?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:40   #102
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
That is a cool boat! I've often dreamed of adding a sailing rig to my Scout 30 but retrofitting would be complicated & expensive. If I did I'd want to add bilge keels similar to yours which would also help mitigate the rolling, the
bane of full displacement trawlers. Do you have any pictures of your boat out of the water?
I remember seeing a boat (unfinished) that was listed on Craigs List in Florida, that was sitting in a driveway of a house. It looked like a raised deck (FD) motor cruiser at first, as the photo shows a bow that looked similar to the Scout 30. It was made of wood (plywood I think). With a wood pilothouse.

When I looked at more photos of it (still unfinished), there was a drawing or plan that showed it to be a motorsailor.

I don't have a link, I don't know if it is sold, and I don't know the designer. But, it resembled a Scout 30 (as I recall the images) but with a sail rig.

Perhaps you saw it too, when you surfed boats in Florida listings. ??
Old 12-11-2016, 10:43   #103
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SCOUT30,

I like the Gatsby design too and have admired that one for over a year (it has been listed for sale for a while as I recall). For a small boat it looks like it has a lot of nice features for coastal cruising, ICW cruising, and Chesapeake cruising too. I like the unusual "retro" styling shown and it appears to have been nicely finished inside and out. Distinctive too. I may add that to Outstanding Boats for that reason.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:48   #104

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Here's some pics taken pre bottom job.

btw - there's a motorsailer version of the Scout 30 here: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post495457
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8299-1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	135957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull inspection.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	135958  

Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:16   #105
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here's some pics taken pre bottom job.

btw - there's a motorsailer version of the Scout 30 here: For Sale: 1981 Scout Fairchild 30' Fiberglass Raised Deck Cruiser - Trawler Forum
Thanks for the link. I have written the owner of that Scout30 Motorsailor and asked for permission to include his boat in this thread, with photos, and invited him to participate too.

Tags
deck