Re: Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

Challenger 24
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1427.GIF
Views:	102
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	135762  

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2018? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 16:55   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: OPB = Available as Crew in 2018

Crown 23

Designer = William Lapworth
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1416.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	135763  

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2018? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Old 10-11-2016, 17:04   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Frances 26

By Morris Yachts
Designer = Chuck Paine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1432.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	135764  
Old 10-11-2016, 17:07   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flush Deck Boats Making A Comeback

While Flush Deck boats are a traditional design, often seen in old wooden boats (e.g. Pilot Cutters), there is a revival of interest in flush deck boats seen at the highest levels of premium or expensive yachts, with some high-end marques such as Wally. I will post more about these in the future, but here are a couple of photos to give you a sense that FD boats are not obsolete or dead as a design concept.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1430.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	135765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	135766  

Old 10-11-2016, 17:25   #65

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
How about the islander series of flush/raised deck boats the bahama 24,
ISLANDER BAHAMA 24 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
and the and the 33
ISLANDER 33 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
And let's not forget the good old islander 30 ISLANDER 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
FYI I own the 24
Then there is the good old Columbia defender 29.
COLUMBIA 29 DEFENDER sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Hard to find good shots of those classics! Columbia made the 24 foot "Challenger" too. A bit roomier inside and I always thought they must sail great with a deck sweeping jib, but I am sure they are a wetter ride. I have seen Defenders and Challengers given away which is a shame. I think it may have been because they didn't look nautical enough. The only negative on these is that the hull-deck joint may need attention. On the positive side, these boats do double duty as ice-breakers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen shot 2016-11-10 at 5.19.13 PM.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	135768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2016-11-10 at 5.08.29 PM.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	135769  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:46   #66
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hard to find good shots of those classics!. On the positive side, these boats do double duty as ice-breakers.
Not to hard to get pics of the ib 24 I own one and as far as ice breakers I wholeheartedly agree. My stem is just over 5 inches solid glass.
Old 10-11-2016, 17:55   #67

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Challenger 24
To me I see "Baja" written all over that boat/trailer set-up... not too heavy or too big, but still a capable little boat... With a flush deck you have more room for the hammock or a full boat tent for shade or area to throw the dinghy on when it's time to find a new anchorage...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 19:04   #68

Boat: Oday 25

And don't forget that an upside down dingy over that forward hatch when on the hook allows the hatch to be open in the rain. Air comes in. Rain does'nt
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 19:14   #69

Attached should be some pictures of Northstar- a Tartan 43 (1974) a S & S design known by most people as a Tartan 41 with the original design of a traditional stern. This one is one of very few Tartan 41/43's built with a keel- centerboard, draft of 5' w/ board up and 8' 6" board down. Headroom is 6'3" to 6' 5". Beam is 12'3". Several for sale on Yachtworld with interior pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	260.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	135783   Click image for larger version

Name:	267.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	135784  

Name:	426.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	135785  
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 20:02   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahoy Everyone!

I have not had time to respond to everyone's posts of suggested boats or photos. I have read them all and enjoyed seeing ALL of the photos you uploaded.

When I get some more time I will try to respond better, but during the last two days 48 hours, I only got about 4 hours sleep, so I am dead tired zombie like and just posting now until I drop asleep again. . Boats will be in my dreams, I am sure!

Please continue to upload photos of your boats or others you know of. Some are new to me, and ALL of them are interesting to see.
Old 10-11-2016, 20:06   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
Attached should be some pictures of Northstar- a Tartan 43 (1974) a S & S design known by most people as a Tartan 41 with the original design of a traditional stern. This one is one of very few Tartan 41/43's built with a keel- centerboard, draft of 5' w/ board up and 8' 6" board down. Headroom is 6'3" to 6' 5". Beam is 12'3". Several for sale on Yachtworld with interior pictures
That is an impressive big boat. I like the look of that deck. Looks sleek and fast. Very clean looking exterior. Nice!

And it is a Keel/Centerboard boat too, with shallow draft! Good headroom for the taller sailors.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:37   #72

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

[IMG][/IMG]
A picture of my new to me boat, I love the flat decks, and the mast pulpits. there is a lot of room to store things on deck, and space to roam without having to step off of a cabin top or have to worry about a narrow side deck(mine are around 3').
Old 11-11-2016, 07:26   #73

Boat: Comet 41s

There is no miracles and on a small cruising boat to have a flush deck you will not have standing height unless you have huge and disproportionate free boards.

The minimum lateral wind resistance (windage) is a very important parameter in any sailboat design but you will not have less windage if you raise the freeboards a lot. I would say that in cruising boats under 50ft flush decks, all things considered are not a good option.

Let me point ou that it makes no sense to have flush decks if you are going to put a dinghy over, so for that to result in an aesthetically way the boat should have a dingy garage or be big enough to have davits (not a nice solution).

Over that size I like them and they are certainly one of the dominant, design trends in what regards modern cruising design. Well, even if not true flush decks at least, a tendency for that, like on most of the boats that have been posted on this thread. Some of my favorites:

The classic wally Essence

and off course, the Mylius 60 and 76

If we want to talk about mass production boats, two come to my mind, the Beneteau 62 and the Hanse 575

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:52   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

POLUX,
Thank you for participating in this thread and for adding your considerable knowledge about boat design.

And thank you for adding the great examples of the modern High End luxury yachts that feature Flush Deck design. Those boats are OUTSTANDING examples of modern design using a FD concept. Thanks for posting each video, and I am sure those will open the eyes of many CF members who view this thread over time.

My Suggestion?

And I do encourage ANY CF MEMBER to go visit your fascinating blog "Interesting Boats" (see the link below POLUX's signature) to see many more outstanding boats you have written about on your blog. I did and was exposed to a great many boats I had never seen, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your views on them.

http://interestingsailboats.blogspot.pt

What about FD boat size? Or, to your points about the need for size?
I really can't argue with your point about windage, freeboard, headroom, and dinghy storage. But, people are people. And there are as many views about what is "good" as there are people. So, while a Crocker designed FD boat that is only 23 feet long may seem to have too much windage and freeboard (at the forward of the mast half of the boat), it is a design that has appealed to many, pleases many, loved by some, hated by others, and to some looks "classic" and nice.

To each their own taste.

I happen to like boats. And, while there are some I would not want to own, and some I would love to own, I would love an opportunity to sail on any of them.

Please keep adding your views, photos, insights, and knowledge to CF, as I value your contributions.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:14   #75

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

What about FD boat size? Or, to your points about the need for size?
I really can't argue with your point about windage, freeboard, headroom, and dinghy storage. But, people are people. And there are as many views about what is "good" as there are people. So, while a Crocker designed FD boat that is only 23 feet long may seem to have too much windage and freeboard (at the forward of the mast half of the boat), it is a design that has appealed to many, pleases many, loved by some, hated by others, and to some looks "classic" and nice.

To each their own taste.
Yes, off course but what you find on the market is significant regarding what sailors want, at least most of them. What I posted is not only my opinion but the market "opinion" meaning that you will not find any new cruising boat with a flush deck with less than 45ftb or so on the market, for the reasons I stated. The market means what almost all sailors want.

Hey I have nothing against flush decks, providing they don't result in very high freeboards and I had a small boat with flush deck and low freeboard some decades (several) ago:

But I remember that when seated on the "head" my head was out of the boat looking at the scenery
I still find that boat a beauty and I miss it a lot.
Where you can find many boats with less than 50ft with flush deck (on the market) is where beauty and sailing are the two major factors and cruising and living aboard just a casual thing. It is always a question of priorities. I am talking about day sailors or weekenders, some quite big but even so not designed for more than week end sailing.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck