Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 22:42   #46

Boat: 1971 cal 27
Re: Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
CAL 25

"As every sailor will tell you, having a well sealed deck is important."

I raced double handed on a CAL 25 in San Francisco Bay.

The Flush Deck on a small boat like this can provide more headroom in the small boat, making it more comfortable below. But, it also allows for safer work on the foredeck, as oftentimes small boats with trunk cabins have very narrow decks and small foredecks. This was particularly important in the days before roller furling became popular.

I am posting this humorous photo for a bit of levity, but also to show how a Flush Deck can be a great place for lounging, by a weary crew, sunbathers, or others.
Don't forget that cal 27 t/2 or the cal 28.

we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 00:47   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: OPB = Available as Crew in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
Don't forget that cal 27 t/2 or the cal 28.
I am not familiar with them, and see you have one. Please take a few minutes to post some photos, specs, drawings, and anecdotes or opinion or observations about them. I hope you and other owners will make the effort to share what you know about your own boats.

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2018? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:41   #48

Boat: Challenger 7.4

Farr 40 perhaps?
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:57   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
Farr 40 perhaps?
Not FARR off in the queue of boats to post here! (Pun).

I raced down the Pacific Coast on a Farr 40 in high seas, high winds, and rain. But, it had only pipe berths and that one would not be a good boat for cruising.

Some may have been converted for cruising, or had cruising interiors installed, so if you find one of those send me a link to photos, or....

OPEN INVITATION TO ALL CF MEMBERS:

If you know of ANY FD boats you wish to see in this thread, please take a few minutes to search for some photos, specifications, drawings, reviews, etc. Then post them here. This is mean to be a group participation thread.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2018? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Old 09-11-2016, 06:00   #50
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

How about the islander series of flush/raised deck boats the bahama 24,
ISLANDER BAHAMA 24 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
and the and the 33
ISLANDER 33 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
And let's not forget the good old islander 30 ISLANDER 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
FYI I own the 24
Then there is the good old Columbia defender 29.
COLUMBIA 29 DEFENDER sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 09-11-2016, 06:30   #51
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Flush Deck Boats Illustrated Guide

How about this for a fast cruiser.. an aluminium 12metre ex-America's Cup boat 'Azzurra 2' that I moved from the Baltic round to Holland for shipping to Ft Lauderdale to be upgraded and refitted.. work done unknown.
Hefty AP that handled the boat just fine.. she was a fun if wet sail.. loved the open decks but make sure the deck paints got good grip..
Currently for sale in St Martin.. saw her on the hook in the Lagoon and posted up in a couple of chandlers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	azzurra-2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	135592  

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:30   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jumbo 46

Asking Price = $350,000 AUS
Location = New Zealand

Steady's NOTES:
This boat is one I would be excited to sail and proud to own. It has many features I admire and looks like an Outtanding Boat to me.

Hard Dodger Design
Notice the integrated and protective Hard Dodger built in the cabin top.Photos on the sale listing show this very well from inside the companionway hatch.

Flush Deck Hybrid or Curved Cabin Top

Noteworthy is the deck design that incorporates a bulge for the integral hard dodger over the companion way and a long hump or curved cabin top surface that blends smoothly into the deck. This design appears based on the long distance race boats built for singlehanded around the world races. It provides a sheltered area for crew to sit near the companionway. Not your typical dodger.

I have written about a curved deck or curved cabin top before in a post last year. My view is that it provides a nice horizontal standing surface no matter what angle of heel the boat is on. There are also areas of flat deck on the sides for when the boat is not sailing, that provide a walkway for going forward in a marina or sheltered water. But, I really do appreciate the curved or humped deck design and consider that a big plus for a boa that would be sailing long distances, possibly in high latitudes. It is a seaworthy design feature seen in Round The World (RTW) racing boats.

There is much I like about this boat, which is very unusual as a cruising boat. It has twin rudders and twin tillers. It has a lifting keel of high performance design.

I will provide a link to the sale listing for one that is in New Zealand. Take a look.

I also like the large round opening portlights on the cabin top. There is much more to this boat than just those shapes, but they are eye catching.

I like the spacious look inside and how those large cabin top portlights show a view (when boat is heeled and let in a lot of light. To me, the interior looks very nice for a modern boat and looks comfortable.

From the Sale Listing
Used Jumbo 46 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

A modern day lift keel world cruising boat. 46' Cutter rigged lift keel yacht (set up for short hand cruising).

This French registered yacht is currently in New Zealand, fully equipped and ready to continue fast safe cruising.

This fast cutter rig design is easy to handle and stable in all sailing conditions. Below decks the 4.5m beam is evident with the space for day to day life. A “J” shape galley with lots of bench space is to starboard and the port side saloon is nice and comfortable for crew or family. The bow has a double berth and more double berths sit in each rear quarter.

• Rigged for short hand sailing
Lift keel delivers draft between 1.6 and 3.1m
• Exceptional light wind sailing performance
Hull speed matching wind speed.
• State of the art electronics for navigation, communication & vessel management
Refrigeration and freezer capacity for extended life aboard
• 1200 Ah of house battery power with 4kW generator
Water maker
• 350 litre fuel capacity
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1396.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	135625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	135626  

Name:	IMG_1398.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	135627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1399.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	135628  

Name:	IMG_1400.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	135629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1401.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	135630  

Name:	IMG_1387.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	135631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	135632  

Name:	IMG_1389.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	135633  
Old 09-11-2016, 09:42   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

More Jumbo 46. (Sister Ship)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1407.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	135635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1406.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	135636  

Name:	IMG_1405.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	135637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1402.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	135638  

Name:	IMG_1403.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	135639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1404.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	135640  

Old 09-11-2016, 15:44   #54

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, Steady, you have finally sucked me in! But, I'm conflicted in which thread to post these pix, for our old Insatiable I, a Standfast 36, is flush decked, has a hard dodger, and is an unusual and outstanding vessel. I guess I could post in all three threads, but I'm too lazy so I chose this one!

There has already been a recent thread abut these boats, so I will not repeat all the general verbiage...

The flush deck aspect included three fairly large deck hatches and four deck prisms to admit light below, and it was reasonably well lit. Not as well as a boat with a trunk cabin and big portlights, but adequate. However the lack of outward vision was always a problem for me (and I think Ann as well), as it was necessary to climb up the companionway ladder to see what was going on outside. Unlike boats with RAISED flush decks (as several of the specimens posted here), this boat had low freeboard, exacerbated by the usual cruising overload, and was quite wet in a seaway... thus the hard dodger.

Our hard dodger was built in NZ, and had solid Kauri posts and laminated thin ply top and the mounting surfaces that mated with a molded coaming in the deck. Easily strong enough to stand (or dance)upon. The glazing was heat molded perspex, inset into the surround, and there was a fairly large opening hatch in the top which provided excellent ventllation when required. Wires were let into the timber for lights (should have included speaker wires). It extended far enough aft for both of us to sit under as required. We made clear vinyl drop panels that more or less sealed off that area from wind or rain when sailing downwind. It all worked well for a lot of sea miles and years of cruising (1990-2003).

So, now we have a flush deck with a hard dodger.... what made her outstanding (IMO)?

First, she,being a retired racer, sailed VERY well. We were in our younger days reasonably keen sailors, and retired racers ourselves, and sailing performance was important to us. I can say honestly we never were in the company of similar sized cruising boats who outperformed us, light airs or heavy, she did damn well. REasonably comfortable at sea, although her hull shape encouraged hobby horsing in some sea conditions, fairly stiff, easily controlled by our home brew windvane or Autohelm 3000 wheel pilot... generally a joy to sail.

Second, she was built by Palmer Johnson, a top yacht builder, and to a surprisingly high standard of furnishings. More importantly to us, the interior design reflected the need for things to work at sea, as in long ocean races. Thus, the galley worked well when heeled and with lively motion, there were excellent sea berths (midship setees and pilot berths on both sides, plus quarter berths aft), one could use the head when heeled, and so on. The joinery was constructed by screwing bits together to the point that one could remove sections when required... as in when I wanted to install a much larger fuel tank. In that case, I was able to non-destructively remove a quarter berth in its entirety, allowing moving a 45 gallon diesel tank into the otherwise inaccessible space under the cockpit sole.

The PJ 36 thread included info about her Achilles heel, namely one weak spot in the hull which had excessive flex when she stood on her keel on the hard. Other than that, she was built like a tank, and survived the usual cruising mishaps with aplomb. It was an Airex cored hull, but built to a laughable degree of overkill. And despite all the bad press here on CF regarding such things, when surveyed when we finally sold her, there were absolutely no signs of water intrusion into the core. The surveyor was mightily impressed! Also, she had zero signs of osmosis or other FRP evils, despite being 29 years of age at the time, with much of t hat time in tropical waters.

In summary, she didn't look like a cruiser. We were roundly laughed at prior to departure, for everyone knew that real cruisers had points on both ends and a long keel stretched between them. We were doomed to failure... but 17 years of full time cruising, covering over 86,000 miles in total later, we were the ones laughing.

We don't have very many pictures of her, for those were years when cameras had film and albums were heavy and bulky. The two posted here show the externals pretty well, but not the interior. The PJ 36 thread had some, and while there were some differences between specific builds, she looked about the same below decks.

Anyhow, we loved and respected her, and she responded by keeping us safe for a long time and through a lot of adventures.

Jim

PS Photo credit to Alan Lucas for the one on the Clarence river
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	I-one #1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	135677   Click image for larger version

Name:	rotation of insatiable in clarence 3.tif.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	135678  

Old 09-11-2016, 16:33   #55

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Well steady; I seem to always qualify for your threads, last time it was hard dodgers. I seem to have a similar taste in boats as you. So I'll post a Picture or two of My Pearson Countess, and one of my old boat a GL Watson Ketch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3682452_3_20110802072250_6_0.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	135679   Click image for larger version

Name:	3682452_3_20110802072250_7_0.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	135680  

Name:	3682452_3_20110802072250_11_0.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	135681   Click image for larger version

Name:	venture 1987.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	135682  

sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 16:40   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
How about this for a fast cruiser.. an aluminium 12metre ex-America's Cup boat 'Azzurra 2' that I moved from the Baltic round to Holland for shipping to Ft Lauderdale to be upgraded and refitted.. work done unknown.
Hefty AP that handled the boat just fine.. she was a fun if wet sail.. loved the open decks but make sure the deck paints got good grip..
Currently for sale in St Martin.. saw her on the hook in the Lagoon and posted up in a couple of chandlers.
BOATMAN61,

I wish I could have joined you on that delivery (as I mentioned long ago). I remember reading your account of the boat trip. Thanks for posting it.
Old 09-11-2016, 16:49   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

JIM CATE,
Thanks for taking the time to write such a excellent profile about your INSATIABLE (1).

I enjoyed reading it.

And, I do think it is VERY impressive the 86,000 miles you and Ann put on her in the Pacific. Looking at the one photo, I was struck how she resembles a modern submarine, or "stealth" boat and so unlike the "traditional cruiser" boats back then. Very slick and speedy looking. Cool!

Then, looking at the closeup photo, I am again impressed by what you and Ann have done in what most today would consider a "small" boat for such extensive blue water cruising.

Thank you again for sharing what you have here on CF!
Old 09-11-2016, 20:42   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
More Jumbo 46. (Sister Ship)
I don't see this as a flush deck boat at all. I see it as a boat with a soft edged cabin-top. Am I wrong?
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 16:40   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Precision Seaforth 24

Asking Price = $3500
Trailer Sailor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1420.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	135755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1422.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	135757  

Name:	IMG_1423.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	135758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1424.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	135759  

Name:	IMG_1425.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	135760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1426.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	135761  

Attached Images

Old 10-11-2016, 16:46   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
I don't see this as a flush deck boat at all. I see it as a boat with a soft edged cabin-top. Am I wrong?
I understand your point. And I could agree.

My view is a bit different. I see a boat with a deck that is rounded (humped, bulged) except for a walkway around the edge for when the boat is in flat water.

Admitedly this boat is unusual, and not a "flat deck" boat, but as I mentioned earlier, some boats are a bit of a hybrid. Some are posted as a matter of opinion, and may not be seen as such by others. For example, some boats have a deck that is flush in the front half of the boat, but may have a short trunk cabin or pilot house.

I think this "rounded" deck will become more popular with time, and more exposure to cutting edge racing boats, but will probably remain a small segment of the overall boat design world, somewhat like flat FD have.

Anyway, that is how I see it.

Tags
deck